main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin's Strained Calf Muscle

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by MASTER_DOODOO, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MASTER_DOODOO

MASTER_DOODOO Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2005
    Ok, one problem with Anakin's dismemberment. Why can he not jump 50 feet effectively when he's staring down Obi-Wan, when he had just gotten done jumping 50 YARDS to get to the platform as the big metal tower goes over the edge of the lava river? This always seemed kind of bogus to me. And Obi-Wan's leap in TPM was clearly more extraordinary, as well. My only two conclusions are that 1. Anakin's legs were tired and/or had pulled muscles; 2. Obi-Wan used the Force to pull Anakin back into him counteracting Anakin's force jump abilities. I think it's probably the 2nd option, but do you think there's a chance that Anakin's physical abilities were worn down? Maybe.

2. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Anakin was overconfident and tried to kill Obi-Wan during his jump but Obi-Wan was able to defend against it.

3. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Ive always felt that the floating platform had some "give" to it. So it would be like jumping uphill from a boat, it severly limits the jump.

4. MASTER_DOODOO

Mar 15, 2005
    This is good analysis, as well. I didn't even think about that. Simple physics.

5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Also, maybe Anakin's Force powers had to recharge before he made another leap like that. If you've ever played Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy, you can only use the Force so much before you have to rest and let it charge up again.

6. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004

And a Force push wouldnt work so well if a Jedi was on ice either. [face_laugh]

7. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    AnaVader was not worn down by any means. Kenobi was the one doing the panting.
    If anything, he swung a second too late right before Kenobi jumped.

I guess he wanted to land on Kenobi, to stomp him, once and for all.

8. MASTER_DOODOO

Mar 15, 2005
    Yah, that's true too. Maybe he was too tired to make that kind of a move. It has to be something else besides the "high ground".

9. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    I always assumed he was just AIMING to land right next to (behind) Obi-Wan, not thinking that Obi would slice him while he was in the air. He could have jumped further if he wanted to, but that would put him...away from Obi-Wan.

10. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I think voodoo is dead on here. The platform is floating on lava and to jump from it (especially a force jump), Anakin will need to push down with a significant amount of force. The platform gives and his jump is limited.

11. Phantom_Menace

Phantom_Menace Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2007
    I have never understood the "mystery" behind Kenobi's duel finishing attack against Darth Vader. Not to sound mean but, did you watch the film? Vader didn't want to jump 50 yards to land far away from Obi Wan to continue the duel. He grew impatient and went for the killer blow. Obi Wan new it was coming and was able to take him out. It is just another point in the film that shows Vader's arrogance. Instead of jumping way below or behind which would of been safe he jumps right at Obi Wan. The high ground does have something to do with it too. Clearly in almost any kind of fight including one on one or army against army having the high ground is an advantage. You can see the enemy coming and they have to come to you up the hill. Obi Wan knew he had the advantage and he didn't want to kill Anakin. That is why he said, "Don't try it."
    In a way this sealed Vader's fate because it only goated him to try it. Obi Wan beat Vader through better tactics then pure dueling skill. It just goes to show that brain is better than braun.

12. MASTER_DOODOO

Mar 15, 2005

Yah, why would Anakin want to jump 20 feet beyond, and then duel Anakin in the same pushback fashion he had been doing the whole fight? I mean, that would only mean he'd be pushing Obi-Wan into the lava, right? Yah, that would be a horrible strategy. I think it's better to just jump right onto a lightsaber. That's way smarter. Yah.

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It's not checkers, people. It's chess.

The novel specifically states Anakin leapt at Obi-Wan's back.

14. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    First off, Anakin couldn't jump to the lower bank. It would have been too hot. Second, Obiwan freaking Kenobi just told Anakin Skywalker not to try jumping over him, which apprently Obiwan had luckily walked into when Anakin threatened his life on the moving platform. For Anakin to not attempt to jump over Obiwan after Obiwan's comment that is was over would have been impossible. It would have been an acknowledgement that he feared Obiwan. And that's not in Anakin's character. The guy fears nobody. Obiwan seemingly layed the perfect trap without even realizing it. As for way the failed jump, Anakin didn't respect Obiwan's skills. It's really a scene dripping with irony. Anakin is saying "You underestimate my power"! and the implication is that due to underestiming Anakin's power, Obiwan is now going to die. It's really the other way around. Anakin is disrespecting Obiwan's power and it's going to cost him a lot. People often making various claims of way Anakin didn't make the jump. For me it's easy. Anakin didn't believe Obiwan could do anything about it. That his skills were unmatched in the duel. Anakin's loss was all about disrespecting Obiwan's power, it did not come from being irrational or letting his anger get the best of him. That lack of respect had been with Anakin even in his Jedi days.

15. Phantom_Menace

Phantom_Menace Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2007
    You miss the point. Vader wasn't thinking straight. He just wanted to end the duel quickly at this point. His emotions clouded his judgment. Yes, maybe jumping way behind would of been smarter but, once again his arrogance and impatience led to his defeat. You prove my point when you say, "That's way smarter." Obi Wan goated him in jumping at him instead of a "smarter" strategy like you suggested. Vader had to make a strategic mistake for Obi Wan to win because he was more powerful. It would of been stupid if Kenobi just out dueled him head on.

16. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    It wasn't that Anakin couldn't make the distance of the jump, it was that he was trying to land in an optimal position in regards to Obi-Wan. He could have jumped way up the slope, but he was going for a finish, hence the difficult leap.

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Let's discuss this in the established thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.