main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin's Tabbards

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by DaiAtlas, Jun 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaiAtlas

DaiAtlas Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2002
    I'm looking to make an Anakin-like costume for a fan-film for next year and I've been examining his pictures. Are his tabbards the same size as the other Jedi or are his longer? They seem to be a little longer. Also, what kinds of leather-like fabric can be sewed by a normal household sewing machine?

Thank you,
    DaiAtlas

2. Moeskywalker64

Moeskywalker64 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2002
    I wanted to make the Anakin's leather thingie, but the needles in the sewing machine snap so....... :(

3. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Wow!

Check out this photo!!

It looks like the tabards are made from fake leather! You can clearly see the lining underneath, and it lookes like they just folded over the edge!

So nice to see that even Lucas tries to save money on the costuming stuff.

4. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Anakin's leather tabbards are actually sewn on both sides of the length of each tabbard. Unlike the cloth tabbards, there is also a seam at the shoulders. The leather tabbards are directly over cloth tabbards, which is what you see in that picture.

Anakin's tabbards may be slightly longer than some other Jedi, but not especially so. They do go long in the back, unlike Obi-Wan, whose tabbards cross over his obi in the back (this is quite clear in the scene where he's imprisoned and "floating" and has his conversation with Dooku).

5. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    DaiAtlas, use walking foot for your machine when sewing leather and vinyl/fake leather; it's this footer that got 1-2 "wheels" to it and mine turned out to be the whole foot thinging, gripped and screwed onto the footer holder instead of just "hooked" onto it. ;)

I had no trouble now with Matt Surface Vinyl when sewing although need the tissue paper on top of the fabric as Surlygirlie recommanded when sewing Wet Look or sticky Vinyl. ;)

6. Jedi_Mistress_Anji

Jedi_Mistress_Anji Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2002
    It says in the Ep II Visual Dictionary that the tabbards are made of synthetic leather, as well as the boots.

7. Moeskywalker64

Moeskywalker64 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2002
    I found the black synth leather for $5.99 a yard...

8. synchroniz3r

synchroniz3r Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2002
    can u give me an exact name of the leather and where u found it pls?

9. synchroniz3r

May 31, 2002
    or even better.. darth eagle u know where i can get the sync leather? i'll be at the costume on the 8th.. cya there and good luck

10. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Sure! Just look for that gal in Padme White Battlesuit (again) hanging out with 3 age group of Anakin Skywalker (Teen, AOTC and Vader!) and a Bounty Hunter. Oh, don't forget my clone. :D

Will go mIRC later near midnight. :p

11. Venardhi

Venardhi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2002
    You can buy synthetic 'pleather' at WalMart for about $4 a yard.

12. Dusty_Miller

Dusty_Miller Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2002
    Well, since nobody else answered this question: The tabbards were slightly longer than the tunic. The front and back are identical as opposed to Obi's. I used plain ol' vinyl for mine and I'm hoping to get the photos developed soon so I can post em' up here.

13. synchroniz3r

May 31, 2002
    saw a photo once.. and i saw that anakin had one more extra layer than wat we all think. Wat everyone says is inner tunic outer tunic and then tabard. However the photo i saw had 2 brown outer tunic around the sleeve area. anyone know what it is? that "xtra" cloth is the same colour as the outer tunic and is located under the tabard area

14. synchroniz3r

May 31, 2002
    ok the photo is the one above in this thread.. look closely under the tabard.. how come theres something like an extra layer

15. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    I think you are seeing a fold in the material, or just the way the seam at the shoulder is done.

16. Dusty_Miller

Dusty_Miller Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2002
    Also, when making an Anakin costume, use velcro to attach the tabbards to the tunic. That way it doesn't keep falling down your arm, and it's detachable so you can wash it. That's what I did on mine and it worked pretty well.

17. ChancellorGoauld

ChancellorGoauld Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2002
    where do you buy black leather synthetic from?

18. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Fabricland?

Actually Anakins is very deep brown...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.