main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin's turn - this is very weak

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by SithyMcGee, Apr 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCG

TCG Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 2005
    Homer, you're saying 2 different things. the dark side will forever dominate one's destiny, but only unless your son comes along and convinces you to turn back.

jedi go from good to bad, so why cant you go from bad to good? you're saying its possible & impossible. his turn, imo, began when he cut off dooku's head.

forgive me for not reading every post on this thread. but i also believe anakin's turning is weak, nevermind the ridiculous fight scene, or the awful dialogue and acting. speaking purely of the motivations, it was weak. we all know he wanted desperately to keep padme alive after losing his mother. and i can even understand wanting to protect palpatine to do this. but then he immediately surrenders to the sith?! for what? in the hopes that they'll learn this power together? which brings me to my main point, how long did anakin think it would take to learn this power? i would guess years (thats how palpatine made it sound). palpatine didnt learn it his entire life apparently, and since padme was almost bursting with babies, and subsequently gave birth about 2 days after anakin turned, she must have been close already. did anakin really think he could learn this power in 2 days (or between then and the birth, which i expect would be no more than a couple weeks from the way padme looked, and the fact that she DID give birth shortly after darth vader, ADV)?!

i see the motivation for wanting to prolong padme's life, but i just dont see what this has to do with killing all the jedi. because he had no other choice? i just dont buy that.

i apologize, but i'm going to give my own idea on a better 'turning' for anakin (and bear in mind, i've only thought about this for 30 seconds.) the clone wars happen, and anakin becomes a master! and fights with the other jedi. in one major battle against the separatists (perhaps with count dooku or maul), many jedi are killed while he and obi-wan escape. he tells palpatine that he fears the republic will lose the war. palpatine tells him he must find some way to win, or they will lose. he perhaps teaches him how to use his anger to become more powerful in secret. perhps he even teaches himself lightning. then at the next major battle, anakin whips out the lightning and saves the day and is hailed as a hero by the clones and the senate, but obi-wan sees this. he brings up the lightning to the jedi council, who know it is a sith power. they decide obi-wan and mace must confront anakin (on mustafar?) - after anakin wins another battle, they confront him. they order him to stop using lightning, and to know how he learned it. he refuses, by claiming the war cannot be won without his new powers. a fight ensues: they gang up on anakin, and anakin is actually able to kill mace, but not before his own lightning screws himself up good (ala palps). then obi-wan is able to slice off his limbs and he burns up. he loses his lightning and suited vader thn goes on a hunt to kill the separatist leaders. the jedi discover the chancellor is the sith lord and try to kill him, but anakin saves the day again. they now have every reason to hunt down the jedi as true enemies of the republic, and the senate votes to eliminate the jedi... just an idea.

2. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    No, I'm saying that once Anakin decided to turn to the Dark Side (which happened before he even saved Sidious from Mace) the only thing that could redeem him was his son. That's why Sidious says to Anakin "You're fulfilling your destiny". By going to the Dark Side he is fulfilling his destiny as the Chosen One, it's just not clear what the eventual outcome will be, which is why Sidious doesn't see his fate at the end of ROTJ.
    Plus, people act like saving Padme was the only reason Anakin turned to the Dark Side. That was just the most important of many reasons he turned, all of which were carefully laid out in the beginning of ROTS and the other prequels.
    That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it :)

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Palpatine doesn't see himself as evil. He thinks that by turning Anakin, he can cause the prophecy to come true. But it's all from his warped point of view. It was not Anakin's destiny to turn. It was a choice he made, because he couldn't stop being selfish and greedy. He was tricked into thinking the Dark Side will save his loved ones.

It's hard to come back, because no Jedi had ever succeeded in converting a Sith back. Luke managed it because there was a family connection. Luke showed Anakin compassion and it brought about the change. Anakin couldn't let the one good thing that he ever did, be destroyed because he was selfish.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  4. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    That's true. I think the only other person who could have turned Anakin back was Padme, but Obi-Wan inadvertantly prevented her from doing that by turning up on Mustafar.

5. EwokThatCried

EwokThatCried Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2003
    Padme was withdrawing from Anakin after her attempt failed to convince Anakin he was on the wrong path before Obi-Wan made his appearance.

Anakin was no longer invested in what Padme wanted at all - he never was really.

6. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    That's so true. I think what alot of us are missing is the true dark side in Anakin. He lusts for power and respect, he craves it.

Remember, he approached Palpatine:

"I know there are things about the force they are not telling me."

Anakin went to the darkside as soon as Palps told him the Plagueis story. This was his ultimate want in the universe, to keep people from dieing. Remember after the tusken slaughter? What does Anakin say?

"I will even learn to keep people from dieng!"

The very prospect of learning this trick coupled with his insatiable appetite for power was his downfall.

"I'm not the Jedi I'm supposed to be" <---- Very correct, he wasn't.

Becoming a master on the council pales in compararison to ruling the galaxy. Furthermore what is life without Padme? Also, the Jedi Council have always held him back *apparently*, there is this underlying grudge he holds for the Jedi save for Obi Wan.

All in all I thought it was quite convincing.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There was mistrust there with Padme. It might not have been easy or even possible for her to stop him. Shmi would've been the best bet.

8. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    Yeop. He probably thought Kenobi smoozed his way on board, the negotiatah.

9. EwokThatCried

EwokThatCried Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2003
    Yeah, Shmi would have been the Mrs. Voorhees to Anakin's Jason. :)

10. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.