main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Analysis: alliance fighter losses at Battle of Endor

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by BadEwok, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Emphasis on "supposed" I dare to say, as the onscreen evidence suggests compatible maneuverability next to a Y-Wing or the Falcon.

2. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    There's also the evidence that the TIE Interceptors were easily able to keep up with the Rebel fighters inside the Death Star, matching them maneuver for maneuver. And then there's the unlucky standard TIE who happened to crash into the wall.

The real determining factor of how well a given ship will perform are the skills of the pilot involved. Someone like Wedge could make even a Y-wing dance.

Hyrum_Solo and Sarge like this.
  3. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    timmoishere wrote

There's also the evidence that the TIE Interceptors were easily able to keep up with the Rebel fighters inside the Death Star, matching them maneuver for maneuver. And then there's the unlucky standard TIE who happened to crash into the wall.

But didn't the tight tunnels greatly reduce any maneuvering capabilities that might have had in open space? Looked to me that these tunnels were reducing all their maneuvering options and pretty much made them all more or less equal.

The real determining factor of how well a given ship will perform are the skills of the pilot involved. Someone like Wedge could make even a Y-wing dance.

I agree, that's another factor that could have played out here. We know little to nothing about the Imperial pilots participating at the Battle of Endor. I'd like to believe that just like on Endor the Emperor was bringing his best pilots into the battle, but this is just speculation.

Ultimately, the TIE Interceptor outmaneuvered by Wedge could have been manned by an unexperienced pilot or an experienced pilot encountering steering problems or a combination of both (i.e. lack of experience and vehicle operating problems).