main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Analysis: How much material from TFA have we really seen so far?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by entourage, Nov 25, 2015.

1. entourage

entourage Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2014
    Alienware likes this.
  2. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    i haven't read the article, but I would say that we may have seen about 10-15% of the film. Most of the trailer / tv spot / clip material was recycled and they are typically no more than about 2-3 minutes maximum. Given that the movie is (I'm guessing) 2 and half hours long, I'm going to say that we have seen 10-15% of the film from the various official media.

3. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013

4. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Well, we haven't seen squat of Luke Skywalker (except once), and he gets second billing, so surely there's a lot to be seen there.

5. Wally44

Wally44 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005

The fact that we have seen all of this footage so far and nothing of Luke just makes me even more excited to see TFA and how Luke is involved. Even if it's a little bit, I'll be fine with it.

JediWheelz and DARTH_BELO like this.
  6. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Same here! That avatar of yours is part of the reason, too.
    My guess would be he makes a late appearance. Remember, Han didn't appear until halfway through the first film. Sean Connery showed up halfway through Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and Karen Allen halfway through Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. That being said, I hope he's in more than that. But I think they're going to spend a lot of time introducing the new heroes.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  7. Wally44

Wally44 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005

Ha ha...right??

Yeah I agree with you on the new characters as well. First film in a new trilogy should spend plenty of time setting up the plot and introducing their stories. Unless that means midichlorians. ;)

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Please be very careful about spoilers in this thread.

At any rate, I'm pretty sure we've had no more than 7 minutes or so total of footage that's been shown in the TV spots, trailers, etc.

Jedi knight Pozzi and CairnsTony like this.
  9. DV-213

DV-213 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 18, 2014
    I do not know how much is possible to speak about even from the trailers? If not discussing any specifics they all seems to be concentrated from quite few locations and possible just some small amount of the overall story of the movie? That would be quite fun I think.

10. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001

i should mention that none of the trailers or TV spots that I have seen seem to hint at the funny looking thing with the red eye at the upper-right hand side of the official poster, so there seems to be at least a few more surprises in store.

11. Gus X

Gus X Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 24, 2014
    I have not see the 3rd trailer nor have I seen any of the TV spots. I have seen a bit of the poster and know something spoilery about that which I am not too thrilled about. I have not seen the first or the 2nd trailer in over a month or so. I am trying to "forget" as much imagery as possible.

I think I know about 3% of the movie. I hope less. It is hard to know if the rumors I heard early on are accurate.

12. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Someone compiled a super-trailer only a few days ago on YT of all existing footage (bar a few seconds here and there) and it came to just over 6 minutes. Of a 2 hour 15 minute (or so) movie, that's only around 4% as the article says. :)

Dagobahsystem, Gus X and EHT like this.
  13. Gus X

Gus X Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 24, 2014
    This means I have seen closer to 2%. :-D

14. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    There's a video compilation of all the "official" shots put in "possible" chronological movie order and it amounts to 6:30.

If the movie is 2:30:00 then what we've seen so far is closer to 4.34% of the total movie time.

But there are about 7-10 mins of end credits. So the actual movie running time could be about 130 mins. In which case we've seen ~ 5% of the movie already. The issue is that if all the material is really only from the first third of the movie (which I pretty much doubt but anyway), then we can say the first third runs about 44 mins. In which case we've seen about 15% of the first act of the movie.

Of course that leaves quite a lot of time to put complete story arcs and plot-twists.

15. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    I think we have not seen 5% of TFA yet

16. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    Plot twist: Everything we've seen is fake stuff made just for the trailer. even the characters we've seen aren't going to be the characters in the new movie.

Lazy K likes this.
  17. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    Apparently a new trailer out of China has tons of new footage. I wouldn't know. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

18. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    The new trailer from China is amazing and yes it contains new footage. I won't say any more except that I predict TFA will be an outstanding film, beloved by fans.
    4-4.5% sounds right to me, as far as footage.

CairnsTony likes this.
  19. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    The Chinese trailer is about one third new footage. There's some stunning shots in there both old and new. One thing I can confidently say is that visually this movie will blow us away! And you can bet they're saving some of the best stuff until release.:)

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  20. Sir2lazyThe2nd

Sir2lazyThe2nd Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 13, 2015
    can you send me the link? I can't find it anywhere

21. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Sir2lazyThe2nd
    thejeditraitor posted it in the PT Forum - TFA: Discussing the FILM, a few hours ago. Also on other spoilers allowed threads.
    EDIT: I just checked, thejeditraitor just added another one 30 minutes ago, in the same thread. Hope this helps.

22. Sir2lazyThe2nd

Sir2lazyThe2nd Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 13, 2015
    Can you please pm me an exact link?

23. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I was thinking about this topic myself recently. One thing I realized is that this is about the same amount of trailers and whatnot we've seen from each of the prequels-in fact the way I remember it, the PT releases had more behind the scenes featurettes before release than TFA has.

Still, with all these TFA trailers, I was wondering if we'd already seen snippets from just about all the different scenes/locales in the films?! It certainly FEELS that way. That link did put it in perspective though. Having only seen 4%-6% of everything there is to see is actually not too bad! Think of the remaining 94%!!!! That's all stuff we've either not seen more than a quick glimpse of OR are not yet even aware of. There's just so much more. I'm of the impression at this point that most of what we've seen in trailers is just the same stuff rehashed, and honestly it all still doesn't tell us ANYTHING about the plot or characters' motivations, little occurrences within each scene, and especially how it all turns out in the end!

I've stopped watching trailers, not because I'm worried about seeing spoilers, but rather because I don't want my excitement and wonder to diminish at all from all the oversaturation-which quite frankly, we ALL expected would happen. ;) I don't want to be sitting in the theater finally, counting the minutes till the opening crawl and not SUPER STOKED-and almost unable to contain myself-simply because we've all had SW shoved in our faces relentlessly from every direction since summertime!

Nowadays anything that pops up online or on Facebook or whatever that involves SW I just...

Move along... :p