main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Analysis of an Invasion: The Yuuzhan Vong Invasion Discussion Group

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Yomin_Carr, Sep 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yomin_Carr

Yomin_Carr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    Come here to discuss the war between the New Republic and the Yuuzhan Vong Imperium. Everything from the Battle of Helska to the Battle for Coruscant.

We'll go step by step through the invasion until we reach... stuff...

Anyway, first topic is State of the New Republic

I'll start us off:

Not to be annoying or anything, but how the heck did the New Republic get so... complacent. Granted the IR is at peace with them, but they've thought that before, and have had many non-Imperial incursions.

The Almanian incursion happened only a few years ago, and yet they forget the lesseons they've learend there. From way out in the Outer Rim there are hints of trouble brewing. The New Republic Senate is frought with dissension so Leia goes out there and saves the galaxy. Same thing happens in the beginning of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion. The Yuuzhan Vong threat appears to be nothing more than rumors and lies, so Leia and the heroes go out there and save the day while the Senate decides its nothing. The Yuuzhan Vong seemed as though they were repulsed, but they really weren't. And they did even more damage than Kueller did. The destruction of the largest planet in that part of the galaxy is no laughing matter. How could the Senate be so... oblivious...

Even taking into account the distraction of the Osarian-Rhommalian crisis, it wouldn't require too much focus. It was a brushfire war which didn't require more than a few ships to keep everyone safe. The Yuuzhan Vong didn't need the diplomats used on Osarian to be staved off, they needed military strength...

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, the fact that much of the old-guard had retired had much to do with it.

Ackbar, Drayson, Rieekan, and all of them were out of the military. The newer officials and officers were more focused towards peacetime goals.

3. JohnWilliamsFan

JohnWilliamsFan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 1, 2002
    Such as career advancement in a time when the military is not needed. [face_devil]

4. Yomin_Carr

Jan 12, 2002
    True, but even if they do retire, isn't the purpose of the military to mobilize against threats? The Osarian crisis was bad, but it wasn't as bad as losing a planet. Priorities!

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Politics. That Rhommamool/Osarian conflict was high-profile, while Sernpidal, Helska, Belkadan, et cetera were not.

Whatever the public has its eye on takes priority in the New Republic.

6. Yomin_Carr

Jan 12, 2002
    So if Juneau (sp?) disappeared, and there were riots in New York the military would respond at New York first and not up North?

7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Point-in-fact: What received more attention, the Ambassy bombings or the Clinton-Lewinsky scandal?

8. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    The Grand Admiral has a point.

It's all about the Media, and what they report on.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Which proves the Empire is better... but that's for another thread. ;)

10. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    The Empire could certainly project more power and control, but at a certain point the trading of liberties for safety leaves you with neither.

But thats not the point.

The real question is where was the NR fleet?

I can not concieve that a good portion of was not within quick reaction time to the borders of the Remnant, and yet the inital incursion by the Vong, so close to the Remnant, was ignored.

Rather catastophic lack of military intelligence but then again we've come to expect little else from the crew of the HMS Plothole.

11. Yomin_Carr

Jan 12, 2002
    True, Jello, but how much of the military did the Clinton-Lewinsky scandal require? The Osarian conflict could have been settled by a small force maybe a few capital ships (filled to the brim with peacekeeping forces). The Yuuzhan Vong incursion could have been wiped out with little loss of life if the New Republic had mobilized quickly. They've had enough experience with threats coming out of nowhere, from the Yevetha, to Kueller, to the Second Imperium, to Thrawn's first arrival, etc.

History has shown itself to repeat over and over again. Why doesn't the NR listen?

12. Alion_Sangre

Alion_Sangre Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I'm seriously awaiting Destiny's Way, because frankly I'm sick and tired of how unrealistically incompetent the NR is.

I will admit it makes for a great X-Filesish conspiracy theory, though.

13. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jul 31, 2002
    I think the root of the problem is the lack of military autonomy. Fey'lya had to much control.

Same thing happened to Germany during WWII. Hitler, a blithering tactical idiot, had direct control, and look where it got him.

Likewise, Fey'lya had to much control, and he's dead and the NR is in ruins.

14. Yomin_Carr

Jan 12, 2002
    I always have found the New Republic to be idiotically set up. The Chief of State is effectively the Chancellor of the Senate, with no real division between the Executive and Legislative "branches." The Senate in the GFFA has too much power. They were deciding military action which was just pointless. War is a fast moving game. You don't have time to vote on where to attack or defend. I don't think it was Borsk's fault though. In the later part of the war he showed admirable leadership.

15. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jul 31, 2002
    Now this is my kind of discussion, me being a Political Science major and all.

A unitary form of Government is a sad one. Yes, it works most of the time, and is relatively stable (just look at the UK). But there's nothing like a Federal Republic like the good ole U S of A.

With the seperation of powers and checks and balances, it is inefficient, but it works. Also, terms are great. What's the term for Chief of State?

16. Yomin_Carr

Jan 12, 2002
    I've never seen evidence that they aren't elected for life. (Excluding resignation, no confidence votes, etc. which seem to happen quite often) In fact, they don't even have to be voted in. Mon Mothma appointed Leia Chief of State!

17. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd like to point out that an efficent government is horribly horribly scary to contimplate.

About the NR though, the senate doesn't ahve to much power, but the ones in charge were more concerned with personal power then external threats. And it still doesn't explain why the military commander in the region didn't do recon for possible threats when refugees started trickling in.

18. Yomin_Carr

Jan 12, 2002
    IMHO, the Senate does have an inordinate amount of power. It is so utterly inefficient and argumentative that it forces Leia, Luke, etc. into considering how the Senate will react, and how best to prevent the Senate from finding out until whatever they want to do is over. Being a roadblock to anything successful is a sort of power.

19. Yomin_Carr

Jan 12, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.