main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Analyzed Lightsabers on request

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by robo_obi, Apr 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robo_obi

robo_obi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    Hi! I'm robo_obi you may know me from such threads as: Jedi Robes, Lightsabers!!! or Mace WIndu lightsaber parts?? but today i'm here to talk to you about.....

Analyzing sabers on request!!

Ok, now that the really bad Troy McClure(The Simpsons character for all you people who don't know) impersonation, i will get down to business.

I'm going to take requests from people, a couple at a time, and analyze the saber of their choice. I will then post my findings in this thread....

so please come up with some requsts and ask me and i'll do my best to figure them out!

2. robo_obi

Mar 15, 2002
    Mace Windu's Episode II: AOTC Lightsaber (the oh so cool and stylish one!)

[image=http://www.geocities.com/robo_is_god/macesaber.jpg]

Before we start, I would like to attract your attention to the right hand side of the pic, right at the very end of the saber, there is a small black section, it appears to be the end of a metal rod. This has lead me to believe that Mace's saber may have been constructed separately and was then threaded onto this metal rod. BTW the rod has a 5/8" diameter.

OK, starting from the left hand side of the pic:

The Emitter

[image=http://www.geocities.com/robo_is_god/emittercu.gif]

I'm not sure of the actual part, but the gold bit looks like its off of a gas stove cook-top(the bit where the flames come out). I came to this conclusion because of the shape of it and the amount of holes in it, BTW there are 10 holes in the emitter. If a gold one can't be found get a silver one(or what ever colour you can get) and make it gold.

The next section is a round silver section that tapers up to meet, what i'll call, 'the activation section'. Now this could be a custom lathed piece but there is a chance that it may be part of the outer casing of one of those economic shower heads.

'The Activation Section'

[image=http://www.geocities.com/robo_is_god/ascu.gif]

This is the section that contains a textured rubber bit, a metal bit, but most importantly it has the activation buttons (hence the name of this section).

The Buttons
    These buttons are shiny gold. The left-most one is the shorter of the two, at 3/8" long, and is in the shape of a semi-circle. The second button is 1 1/4" and is in the shape of a rectangle. They look like they could be off some sort of toy, but you may need to custom make these two buttons, for more accuracy, i recommend the custom-make option.

The Textured Rubber and the Silver Moulding (formerly known as: The Bent Metal Bit)
    If you looked down on the top of Mace's saber the Silver Moulding would looke like the letter 'U' i can't get accurate measurements of it but i'll try to get some when i can... the Textured Rubber just fills up the remaining area. Bike grips cut to fit might work for this but it might be another custom-make job.

The right most end of the 'activation section' is finished off with a small band of silver that is 1/4" wide and tapers off slightly to the right.

The Gold Bit near the grips and the Grips

[image=http://www.geocities.com/robo_is_god/gripcu.gif]

The gold bit looks as though it might be made up of different kinds of washers. But the most likely and accurate way to duplicate this is yet again, a custom-make job.
    There are 12 grips each are 3 1/2" long, 1/4" high and 1/8" thick, they are black and are made of rubber (duh!). The section of the lighsaber they are on is about 15/16" in diameter.

THE END OF THE SABER

[image=http://www.geocities.com/robo_is_god/endcu.gif]

The big round-ish thing appears to be a nut (as in nut and bolt). It appears to have 6 sides and is 3/4" wide and has a diameter of 1 7/16".
    If it was arranged like a clock...each section would be two hours.

At 12 to 2 would be the Cover-Tech Clip, the following sections are blank: 2-4, 4-6, 6-8, 10-12.....and in the section 8-10, closer to the 8 side there is a small hole about 3/16" in diameter.......

I don't really know how to explain this last bit so i will just put a pic with measurements courtesy of The Dark Side:

[image=http://www.geocities.com/robo_is_god/endbp.gif]

3. DARTHWUTWUTTINKY

DARTHWUTWUTTINKY Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2001
    Cool thread, Robo! O.K. Being as you asked me to give you a saber to analyse, i think you should analyse the...................

(DUM DUM DUM)

[Dr.Evil Voice].......COUNT DOOKU SABER!!!![End Dr.Evil Voice]

Thanks

4. robo_obi

Mar 15, 2002
    DARTHWUTWUTTINKY: I will get onto the Dooku saber as soon as i can (eg. when my school work is done)

but i will do it

5. robo_obi

Mar 15, 2002
    Does anyone have a high-res pic of Dooku's saber?? i need it to help me analyze it, cause al i have is the blueprint off of The Dark Side....

6. robo_obi

Mar 15, 2002
    i have the pics i need, and i will start to analyse dooku's saber on the weekend. (after i have a look around at a few hardware stores for some ideas)

7. robo_obi

Mar 15, 2002
    I'm nearing completion on my Dooku analysis and i have decided to anaylse all the different sort of jedi clothing too.....

8. robo_obi

Mar 15, 2002
    ok guys i'm reviving this thread....i'm aware that the pics don't work on the mace analysis but i'm fixing that ASAP..... so yeh in case people missed the point of this last time.....its for me to analyze ANY saber (be it a real saber, a drawing or a pic of a custom made one found on the net, or anything at all) and i will deconstruct it on my pc and in my head, figure out what its made of (or what could be used to make a hardware one) and then post the results back up here for everyone to use.

i do jedi clothing as well, providing basic patterns, but thats after analysis

i'll possibly be able to do 2 or 3 lightsabers and 2 jedi costumes at once, and when i'm finished i'll post the results here

hope this thread survives this time

9. Chris_the_Jawa

Chris_the_Jawa Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2002
    What about the ROTJ Luke saber afterwards??

10. robo_obi

Mar 15, 2002
    Chris_the_jawa: i'll try to get that one done for you...i have a whole heap of school work that has been dumped on me just now

11. ChancellorGoauld

ChancellorGoauld Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2002
    Can you please somewhere better to host your pictures? If you had bothered to read your TOS for yahoo geocities you would know that pictures hosting on geocities posted on another site will not work.
    This means all the images just came up as red X's and clicking them didn't help.
    I had to drag every picture onto the url bar and refresh to be able to see it - annoying!

12. robo_obi

Mar 15, 2002
    when i first posted this thread those pics worked fine....i know they don't work now, and if YOU had bothered to read any of the other posts in this thread you would have found out that i'm in the process of fixing the pictures....plus i'm doing analysises and a whole heap of schoolwork...so the pics will be fixed asap

13. G-4P0

G-4P0 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2000
    The Luke ROTJ saber was machined, based on a stunt saber used by OB1 in ANH that was partially machined and based off OB1's original saber. The Luke "stunt" used a Graflex clamp like the original OB1 as well.

As for the Mace- there's been much discussion on this in some other forums - and it's pretty much been figured to be an original machined piece with very little if any found parts. Much like the Dooku.

The one thing I've speculated on is the leather/rubber material inset into the hilt. Since Sam Jackson is a huge golf fan and a pretty good golfer himself, I speculated that this material *could* be golf grip material of significance to him - since he's one of the few actors that got a special lightsaber made just for him in the film anyway.

If anyone ever finds this material, I'd like some!

14. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    For Mace's saber you may want to ask in the Indianapolis Fanforce Forum. Some of those folks actually handled the prop at Celebration2. I remember one of them saying it rotated in the center. Very interesting.. You should ask them about the grips too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.