main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AnaVader is Christ

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Lord_Smith, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Smith

Lord_Smith Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2005
    The position he is in when he rises up on the table is meant to be the crucifix that is why they didnt have his arms down, instead they are up and look silly, he could have had them sideways, that would have been better.

2. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
  3. Lord_Smith

Apr 4, 2005
    How isn't he Christ, Christ was send down to die on Earth to restore the balance in the world, as it was evil.

4. THEDEVILSITH

THEDEVILSITH Jedi Youngling

Apr 3, 2005
    He is the AntiChrist cuz hes Sidious's(the devil)son

5. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I don't think you can assign him one figure.
    Anakin and Luke for that matter are the combinations of many heroes from eastern, and western mythology. There are univeral elements in both characters.

It is important to keep in mind Joseph Campbell's Hero with A Thousand Faces. The book influenced Lucas and makes it clear that all myths share a common and universal story.

Anakin isn't just Christ, there may be elements of Jesus in the character, but that isn't the sole inspiration.

-Seldon

6. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    i can see the connection your making, except Christ never went evil and slaughtered thousands of people. And Christ was sent to bring an end to sins control, not to put good and evil into balance

7. THEDEVILSITH

Apr 3, 2005
    Actually Maul is the Devils son

8. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    No, Anakin isn't Jesus and Sidious isn't the Devil. These are two inspirations Lucas used, but they don't represent anything. You're letting your hopes eat your brain, again.

9. THEDEVILSITH

Apr 3, 2005
    Also Christ knew what he had to do he could previsionize his death

10. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    There isn't one inspiration for any of the characters.

They are all built on many archtypes.
    Luke, Leia, Han, Vader/Anakin, Sidious, Obi-Wan and others are all based on thousands of characters.

-Seldon

11. THEDEVILSITH

Apr 3, 2005
    Does anyone know if George Lucas is even Catholic...

12. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I don't believe he is.
    However all Christians believe in Jesus, so him being Roman Catholic shouldn't make a difference.
    I do believe he is Christian.

-Seldon

13. Lord_Smith

Apr 4, 2005
    Anakin can see other people deaths. I don't see how he is the anti-christ though, you don't know (i apologise for having to say this) what Jesus did, he could have been bad, how is he SIdious son, when his mum said there was no dad. How is Maul the devils son?

14. THEDEVILSITH

Apr 3, 2005
    Lucas is a Lutheran so yes,he is a christian,but has a different belief on christ cuz hes a lutheran

15. Genrader

Genrader Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2003
    I wouldn't technically call him Christ, since he fell into evil and Christ didn't...but...I would say he is sort of like Jesus in a lot of ways since he brings balance/saves the world, and the main thing: born of a virgin.

16. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    There are minor differences between the Christian faiths over the issue of the view of Jesus. He is about the same in all their books. The differences are in other areas and not that so much.

We have to acknoweledge that there is no direct connection between Anakin in Christ, or any other Star Wars figure with any other biblical character. There are elements of so many characters in Anakin, that he isn't dominated by any one set character.

-Seldon

17. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    He has messianic symbolism, but he is definetly not a direct reference to Christ. Christ does not suucumb to the demons that tempt him, Anakin does.

18. Lord_Smith

Apr 4, 2005
    Jesus was tempted fo fall to evil in the desert, Palpatine is the Devil in that sense.

19. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    He is of a virgin birth.
    And is treated as the Messiah of the Jedi.

This much is true.
    However Lucas weaves many religious motifs into the films especially from eastern religion. Anakin may begin as Christ, but he ends up having a radical Jihad against the Jedi which leads to his path as Darth Vader.

-Seldon
    Edit: However Jesus never fell and Anakin did. The connection ends there.

20. Lord_Smith

Apr 4, 2005
    Lucas may have felt that way to make the film culutary diverse so as to appeal to all, but I still believe in the Christ theory, just he fell to evil, Jesus didn't.

21. Genrader

Genrader Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2003
    Er, Seldon, not really a jihad, as there are only two Sith...the point of jihad isn't to wipe out everyone else, but in defense of Islam or in a war to try to kill and/or convert the infidels..anyway.

I'd say Anakin is closest to Christ, but he failed. Luke is the one who technically succeeds, thus making Anakin succeed. I'd have to say the Anakin/Luke thing is really strange.

Remember that in the Bible Jesus refers to himself as the last/second Adam, essentially he meant he was of God's direct lineage and he was going to succeed where Adam failed.

Anakin = Adam, in a sense, he was supposed to be a great dude and all, but failed and succumed to the Dark Side. Jesus, or Luke, resisted the temptation.

The Bible, as well as other religions, ties in well with everything. I really would say that Christianity is the closest, though.

22. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    That is a huge difference between them.
    The fact is that Star Wars is universal, and it doesn't have one sole source. It is more complex than that.

-Seldon

23. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    How isn't he Christ, Christ was send down to die on Earth to restore the balance in the world, as it was evil.

Unless Jesus went ona 25 year spree of killing all of his friends and loved ones, I see no connection. He doesn't get resseurected, because he doesn't die. He has no sins to repent for but his own.

EDIT: SW is SW. Religion is religion. There doesn't always have to be a connection.

BTW: Please, for the love of SW, post in here before creating any more threads.

24. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    The main similarities are the virgin birth, and the fact that both thier fathers are considered to be divine beings. There undoubtabley parts of Anakin influenced by Jesus, but not only Jesus.

25. Lord_Smith

Apr 4, 2005
    Genrader, that was excelently put, I realy do credit you on an class reply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.