main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Ancient Aliens On History Channel.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, May 4, 2010.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I have yet to watch this show, but it endures because aliens...meaning life elsewhere in this universe...is indeed far more plausable than gods. After all, we already have proof of life in the universe, ourselves under whatever conditions, but no real evidence of gods.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Sorry, although extraterrestrial beings are more likely to exist in the universe, it is not reasonable in the least to believe that they visited Earth with no evidence other than THEY WERE TOTALLY MISTAKEN FOR GODS YOU GUYZ.

3. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Oh but I agree. I don't believe in this x-files style ancient aliens bad archeology nonsense. I am just saying it is far more likely than Earth-made mythological gods.

4. ask-the-younglings

ask-the-younglings Jedi Youngling star 5

Jan 18, 2004
    If there had been ancient aliens, there would be fossilised ancient alien poop.

5. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    It is not "far more likely". It is equally as outlandish. That there is possibly life somewhere else in the universe does not make ancient astronauts any more likely.

6. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    That there is possibly life somewhere else in the universe does not make ancient astronauts any more likely.

It makes it far more likely than mythological gods.

7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Arguing the difference between 1E-100 vs 1E-1000 is rather silly in my opinion.

8. eaglejedi

eaglejedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 2, 2001
    Aliens are something we are far better able to rule out scientifically, actually. It is difficult to prove or disprove the existence of deities, and some would argue it's outside the realm of what science addresses. Some of my colleagues would also argue that the existence or non-existence of these ancient deities is somewhat irrelevant. What is relevant is the structures of beliefs around them and how these influenced ancient societies.

If one truly understands the Uncertainty Principle and modern quantum mechanics, also, I would argue that it allows that one could be a scientist and also believe in a faith tradition, without being unscientific. Not that it suggests one necessarily should, it simply leaves that door open. Aliens, on the other hand, are purported to be a natural, rather than supernatural phenomenon, and thus we can apply standards of scientific proof, and to believe in them without evidence would be unscientific of us.

It is also somewhat arrogant and culturally insensitive to call for example ancient Greek "pagan" religion "mythology" and place it in a different category from modern Christianity or any other religion with living adherents, although for all I know there are modern Greek believers- certainly there are neo-pagans in much of the Western world. This is what some appear to be doing when they simultaneously hold to an Abrahamic or other extant faith, and claim ancient faith traditions either can be scientifically disproven, or are evidence of aliens.

9. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Vivec hits my main point. I'd also go further with what eaglejedi said and say that I don't see any conflict between a broad based theism and being a scientist.

10. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    So I finally saw this last night, well, most of it before turning it off in disgust.

They sit there and champion the Nazca lines as airstrips... but what no one asks is why the hell would an interstellar alien race need airstrips? And then the aliens were supposed to come down and teach ancient man about building complex monuments out of stone. Why stone? Why didn't they teach them about titanium, or steel, or plastic?

These aliens don't sound very advanced at all, they almost sound like *gasp* humans!

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Not teaching people about plastics would be pretty easy to explain: the aliens don't have fossil fuels on their home planet. :p

12. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    They must have some equivalent. How else would they make their shiny little spacesuits?

13. Draco_Drake

Draco_Drake Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2010
    Personally: The show, if you look closely and depending on how much History you watch, It sometimes contradicts, is completely wrong or misinterpretted (factually. Escpecially in Egypt and Mythos and Bible), finds the most unbelievably person or story, a vague pic and says its something, and all and all good marketing but poor organization.
    Note: this is what I, a Highschool student sees. So if I can see the poor quality of what it could be... Most others probally can as well. If however you have the Perfect episode of 'Ancient Aliens' that will make me a believer, Please send my the link for its YouTube video, or when its about to come on and I'll try my best to be open and rephrase or adapt my opinion.

But then they have the convincing evidence. I cant paraphrase it all, but every so often they have something that if they just had the brains to fit with other info in thier series and other series, could convince me firmly of aliens.

(Warning: Above I stated of what I've seen. Mostly the older version {aka b4 this and last year, MOSTLY})

I personally believe aliens exist. If they dont its a waste of good space I'd say.

Question: Did the 'Ancient Aliens' series ever talk about how either we are the aliens (from Mars), or How they are us from the future, or They made slaves out of us early on in history so they could somehow effectively mine Gold (valuable mineral) and thus teach us how to extract it (Stone works, Masonry, Love of Gold that exists in all human culture.), or did they talk about the one were they were Dragons who did this slavery thing (above) and that why we have a dragon and gold myths world wide?

{The last one was a crack at you, if you believed the last one was an actually theory.}

-Zacparis's question-
    Also if they are so advanced, Zaxparis. They (if I were them) would either send Nano bots to spy on us (cheaper and safer, and what we(NASA) are doing with our probes basically), not space suits. However if they did want to personally see us {for whatever reason}, I'd say its either: completely beyond us or something that can meld with thier flying saucer/ship. {so they can resonate and not die due to the high speed of the ship. Reference to some alien tech show. thats not this one.}

14. block

block Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2004
    I think this show is the nail in the coffin for the history channel for me. It's funny to hear them talk about Hitler having U.F.O. technology........for about a minute. Then I get disgusted and have to turn it off.

15. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Not that this is a shock, but they got an astronomy thing wrong recently by calling something the Sirius constellation.

16. block

block Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2004
    I just saw a commercial for tonights new episode. Looks like they're gonna be saying DaVinci got his ideas from aliens. These guys are crazy.

17. ask-the-younglings

ask-the-younglings Jedi Youngling star 5

Jan 18, 2004
    The whole 'documentaries' package I bought is a sack of *****. The program descriptions don't help... saw one the other day claiming that the Mayans had predicted the first world war and a bunch of other ****. Really? What was the prediction? Verbatim, plz. Wasn't included in the 'documentary'. It's sad when Mythbusters is the closest thing to science. The 'history' is barely discernible from Xena, Warrior Princess. Utter. Bag. Of. ****. I want my money back.

18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I guess the mental institution they're housed in showed them the latest season of Futurama.

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    2 or 3 weekends ago I sat and watched a marathon of this show. They use the same scrutiny and evidence that creationists use. It's fun, but good grief how do these people live with themselves. I guess the money is good.

20. block

block Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2004
    The thing that scares me the most is that the show must get ratings, so some where (I'm assuming it's a mental institution as well) people are watching this crap saying, "oh my god these guys are right!"

21. Xeiah

Xeiah Jedi Master star 1

Sep 5, 2002
    We may need to leave the planet for a lot of reasons I can fathom, but the rest sounds like a bloody awful mess!

22. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    MTV no longer plays music (or MTV 2 for that matter)
    Cartoon Network no longer just plays cartoons
    Cable News is more Cable Opinion/Commentary/Debate
    AMC (American Movie Channel) now is known for its TV series (Mad Men, Breaking Bad)
    History no longer does historical documentaries.

History has been hijacked by ratings--which translates into aliens, conspiracy theories, and political hit pieces like the upcoming "The Kennedy's" movie.

23. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    My brother and sister-in-law got me the Stargate movie DVD for Christmas, and one of the special features is an interview with Eric Von Daniken, but they also talk to the long-haired guy from the Ancient Aliens show, but since this documentary was made several years back, he has shorter hair and it's slicked back, making him look almost like a ladies' magnet.

Just something I'd thought to share.

24. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    One I caught part of a couple nights ago:

Noah's flood and other major disasters that happened to humans in ancient or prehistoric times were the aliens' way of "correcting genetic imperfections." Well, at least biologists now hate this show as much as historians.

25. block

block Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2004
    I don't know why I can't help but watch this show.

Things I learned today:

Smooth stones in Scotland got that way because they were blasted by alien death rays.
    I'm an idiot for thinking said rocks were formed by water and erosion.
    Aliens taught Joan of Arc how to fight.