main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ancient Lightsaber...

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Kai-Rhann, Jun 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kai-Rhann

Kai-Rhann Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    Occasionally I've seen some interest in "Ancient Lightsabers" on the boards, thus I decided to have a go at making one. Here's the result...

[image=http://hometown.aol.com/kairhann/images/ancientsabre.jpg]

Primarily made from PVC pipe, and Bondo, plus a few odds and ends. Came out okay, and really didn't take long (under 2 hours I believe). I may try some more of these, espescially a "Protosaber", having an exposed crystal at the emitter end...

~Kai Rhann

2. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    ha, thats great :)

you might wanna consider making a battery pack to go with it as the sabers got their power thru a cord to their waste from a power pack as "recently" as tales of the jedi (ANH-5000 years)

3. Kai-Rhann

Jan 12, 2002
    Thanks.
    Yes...I do want to do one of that style. I also thought about a bracer that would house the power pack. When I do one like that (with the cord) it will have an exposed crystal)...like ones referred to as "Protosabers". I've been playing 'round making cast resin crystals with really good success...

~Kai Rhann

4. cyranodb

cyranodb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2001
    Oooo...very cool. Very sithly. ;)

5. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    I've made one, too! It has no power pack yet.
    The saber
    Can you see what it's made of?

6. DarthVader79

DarthVader79 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2001
    ^ Could it be wood, looks kind of like a tree branch or a bone.

Nice saber Kai. How did you carve the bondo? Doesnt it crumble?

7. Kai-Rhann

Jan 12, 2002
    Not sure what you used on your Protosaber... the shape remids me of certain knife handles, vaccume cleaner handles (like an upright), or even wood or bone. Once you apply a sculptable material over a base, it's difficult to tell what it is...

The bondo was applied very "sloppily"...just applied it randomly, giving it swirls and such. When it was curing, I cut it away from the smoother parts of the saber (which are actually a larger diameter of PVC pipe...there are four of these sections). Once the bondo was cured, I did a little bit of carving to shape with an exacto knife, and then simply sanded it down to smooth everything.

Bondo shouldn't crumble if properly cured...using too little of an amount of hardener might cause that. The more hardener you use, the faster it cures though. I used a ratio of approximately 1 part hardener to 5 parts bondo (rough guess...).

~Kai Rhann

8. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    Mine's made of... A plastic bottle! Cut up and heated. Entirely in secret. Painted with acrylic and metallic paint and covered with glue.

Your's is a great job, Kai-Rhann! Looks much more real than mine.

9. Kai-Rhann

Jan 12, 2002
    Cool, SkyWook... I love hearing tales of props being made from the least likely things... And, Thank you...but don't sell yourself short. Your's looks great too...

~Kai Rhann

10. Master_Byrd

Master_Byrd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    Anyone here used sculpty for one of these? I wonder how much abuse it would take.

11. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    Looks great.... I love the ancient look to it. Of course that was what you were aiming for. My hat's off to you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.