main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ancient Lightsabers (pic request)?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by DorkmanScott, Jun 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Okay, I know the question pops up sometimes "Hey! Anyone here built an ancient-style lightsaber?" I know the answer is no, so I'm not gonna ask. I intend to just make one myself.

My question instead is, does anyone know of any pictures of the ancient lightsabers?

[image=http://www.thelightsaber.com/PROTO_1_.JPG]

That's the only one I can find. [face_plain]

I don't want to end up making a replica of that, but I need more design ideas. Anyone know of other pics?

M. Scott

2. Chevalier-mal-Fet

Chevalier-mal-Fet Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 14, 2002
    Again, I point yet another questioning young Padawan to the Tales of the Jedi comics! Buahahaha. TotJ contains all answers! Bow to Dark Horse.

But seriously, TotJ, being a comic set several thousand years before ANH, has plenty of pictures of ancient lightsabers in it.

3. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    PADAWAN?!

Watch yourself, n00b. I've got three mods in my corner.

;)

Yeah, I know there's pics in the comics. But I don't have the comics. And I'm not sure if any comic stores near me will have the comics. I was wondering if there were pics on the NET that I could be pointed to.

M. Scott

4. Kai-Rhann

Kai-Rhann Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    DorkmanScott...

I have a pic of a replica of the lightsaber carried by The Dark Woman. While this is not an "ancient" lightsaber, the design is so interesting, and so dissimilar to most sabers, you could draw serious inspiration from it...

The piece was resin cast, and custom painted. It was on "luukessabers.com", and I can't seem to find the website. However, as I said, I have the pics saved...I'll post them as soon as they're uploaded to my webpage...

--Kai

5. Kai-Rhann

Jan 12, 2002
    Okay, I had no luck with uploading tonight, but I DID find the website...it's changed names...
    TheLightsaber.com

And here's a pic of The Darkwoman's lightsaber...
    Darkwoman Saber

This was a resin cast, as I stated earlier. The same method could be used for constructing an "ancient lightsaber".

Hope that helps out some...

--Kai

6. Chevalier-mal-Fet

Chevalier-mal-Fet Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 14, 2002
    I resent your name, as my name is also Scott. :p

Look around on google a bit, I saw TotJ scans on a page somewhere a few months back. If you still can't find them, I'll take some pics of my comics and send them to you.

7. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Hmmm... both of those sabers - the ancient one and the dark woman's - look very organic. You may want to look at using wood (like a hollowed-out branch), or even sculpting some kind of "melted wax" prototype, and then casting from that. I believe one of the characters in the Young Jedi Knights books (and, of course, I can't think of her name) uses a bone for her handle.

There's tons of possibilities for an ancient-styled saber. You could even use the standard chrome look and just tinker with it so that it looks less refined, and more cobbled.

Just a few ideas.
    kreleia ^.^

8. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Me and friend prefer the designs of the TOTJ: Knight Of Old Republic onwards lightsabres. One of these days, I gonna built my Jedi/Sith one with elements from those lightsaber (mostly the claws part ;) )

Kreleia, I think you got Tenel Ka from the NJO and Young Jedi Knight Series in mind. Ya, hers was made from the Racor Tooth of her Grandma's Favourite (Dead) Rancor.

9. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeh, I almost bought a Dark Woman when they did a run of 'em.

Have you heard they're working on a version done up in metal?

But the "organic" advice is very useful. I feel kind of stupid not having thought of it before.

And Luukesabers is a great site. It's where I linked the protosaber pic from. ;)

Thanks for the help.

Oh, and Chevalier, Scott is actually my LAST name. That makes it better, right? :p

M. Scott

10. Kai-Rhann

Jan 12, 2002
    If Luukesabers makes a Dark Woman saber in metal, I may actually purchase one. I make all of my own props, but casting isn't one of my skills...(yet). I'd love to see that saber in a bronze casting...

--Kai

11. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    This site hasn't been updated in YEARS, but it has some very cool hilts, many of which fall in the "ancient style" category (the gold one with a handguard, for example):The Hilt. Use the "browse entire gallery" to view all of them at once.

12. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Tenel ka was one of my favorite charactors in that book series. Too bad noone thought of making a TV series from them, it would've been intersting.

Mynn

13. Kai-Rhann

Jan 12, 2002
    I've always thought that would be a good idea, too. I enjoyed the books (for young readers I know, but hey...I love to read)

Tenel Ka's saber would be very interesting to make. I might do that this summer, along with a wooden hilt. In a recent Dark Horse comic, there was a Wookie Jedi Master whose lightsaber included wood...

--Kai

14. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    Thanks for the link Stormtrooperprincess,
    The sabre i liked was Drennin Valdoa's. WHoa. Only thing I'd change on it would be the hook. I'd make that a D-ring so it'll stay put.Now Ihave to see if I can locate pics of this thing from ALL angles, then see if I can make this thing.

here's the link so you can see it.

this is Padawan's Valdoa's sabre

http://members.tripod.com/MousieDroid/Hilt/The_Hilt.html

I also like THIS sabre too.

http://members.tripod.com/MousieDroid/Hilt/The_Hilt.html
    So tell me what you people think of these as potential sabres. I have my work cut out for me. :)

Mynn

15. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Sweetie, The Hilt uses frames, so if you want to post a direct link to a particular lightsaber page, you'll need to right-click on the link, choose "copy shortcut," and then paste that into here. One of the downsides of frames. [face_plain] But they do have awesome saber designs, don't they?

16. Kai-Rhann

Jan 12, 2002
    Mynn...
    Is it...This one?

I liked that one...gold tone sabers are really nifty. I love the one I did for Niralle...

BTW...the way I link pics is to right click the image, go to "properties" then copy the http:// address, then create a link by means shown in the "markup codes" section...

At any rate, great site...great sabers...many of them could fit into the "Ancient Lightsaber" category...

--Kai

17. EviL_DukKY

EviL_DukKY Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2002
    Kai, got an "Image Hosted by Tripod" thing when I clicked yer link...

18. Kai-Rhann

Jan 12, 2002
    Hmm...it worked earlier. Now I get the same thing.

The saber in question is on the 3rd row of the gallery, eighth one from the left. It's brass with a half circle knuckle guard.

Just check out the gallery, there are a number of interesting designs.

--Kai

19. EviL_DukKY

May 15, 2002
    That saber you're talkin about reminds me too much of an "EN GUARD!" kind of sword...

20. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    Yep the sabre 3rd row 8 from left is the one. Also the 2nd Row 7th from left as well.

yeah I know it does appear to be a tad sword like, but that's why I like it. It IS an achient sabre. In fact both are old ones.

One of the quotes say the sabre is a Jedi's Soul. That's kind of odd. It's a a tool, potentialy deadly weapon. The owner adds his/her design tastes to it. I guess in a way THAT is adding a part of the "soul" to something.
    Mynn

21. EviL_DukKY

May 15, 2002
    What I wanna find is picks of the old Sith Sabers.

22. Kai-Rhann

Jan 12, 2002
    The part about the "lightsaber is a Jedi's soul" is drawn directly from Budo/Bushido... the Samurai have that concept of their relationship to their swords.

I imagine that ancient Sith sabers are not at all unlike ancient Jedi sabers at all. A lot of times we stereotype: Jedi sabers are shiny and sleek, Sith sabers are dark and menacing... I don't see it that way. A saber is a saber...the design should appeal to the wielder alone.

--Kai

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.