main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Ancient / Medieval History Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by The Hellhammer, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Wocky, so it's like Orzammar in Dragon Age?

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Not directly, anyway. But there is an answer hidden in there :p

Depends on the scale, age, and nature of the state, I should think. Ideally the mechanism should involve the consent or at least acceptance of the governed: in pre-modern states, that usually means a large dose of tradition or religious backing. Changes to that mean that the putative ruler lacks legitimacy and is vulnerable to being overthrown, leaving the state vulnerable to further destabilization.

No. The system Wocky describes means that only descendants of the newly deceased king are eligible -- Dragon Age makes it clear that it is not hereditary, but that the Lords of the Desher have the right to select any one amongst them to be the new king. Otherwise Bhelen would've been the only successor at all.

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Well yes. Obviously principles like maintaining legitimacy are fundamental to any sort of viability. I was more trying to get at which specific systems seemed to achieve greater stability than others. What features, for instance, made the Egyptian experience of co-regency (in its period of autochthonous empire) such a successful one, while, as SkywalkerNumbers mentioned, it seemed to be decidedly more problematic for the Byzantines? Further, specifically because tradition was such an important factor, I think we can survey large enough periods of history to make judgments about systems in the abstract, free from some of the particular vicissitudes of the cultural and historical contexts in which they were most famously employed. Especially given that some level of cultural content is arbitrary to the discussion anyway (eg primogeniture endorsed by a polytheistic state religion isn't that appreciably different than primogeniture championed by Christianity).

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    But that's all part of the discussion though. The Byzantine imperial system was just the continuation of the late antique Roman system: nothing really changed after the collapse of the Diocletianic tetrarchy. The only difference, of course, is that subsequent Roman rulers received the imprimatur of the Church and by the Byzantine period, the Patriarch of Constantinopolis in particular. The key flaw identified by Cornelius Tacitus in the earliest days of the Principate was still ever present: might made right, and whomever had the army could seize power. There was no legitimating principle: Augustus had tried to establish a dynastic system, but it failed due to the incompetence of Nero. The Antonines tried to establish a meritocratic adoption system, but that failed because of Marcus Aurelius. Rulers simply came and went: the side-effect was that good rulers tended to reign for longer and inferior rulers reigned for less.

Your suggestion that it's dependent on the form of government though doesn't provide the answer. Like you say yourself, the Egyptians tried co-regency and it worked great. Why didn't it work for the Romans, practically ever? Why did the tetrarchy and why did Byzantine systems fail? For exactly the reason I was trying to get at: the Egyptians had religious backing to pharonic leadership that was entirely lacking in the Roman principate, especially as the position of emperor never really existed except as a de facto status. Sure: people like Diocletian tried to put a religious face to it, but they were crazy.

5. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Wasn't the emperor Pontifus Maximus? I understand a lot of religion in Rome was more civic than anything, at least that's what I've gathered from the Cicero novels.

By the way, has anyone read them? They're by Robert Harrus and they're fantastic.

6. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Speaking of the Byzantine Empire, I found that during one seven year period from 924-931 there were five co-emperors; Constantine VII, his father-in-law Romanos I, and Romano's three sons and Constantine's brothers-in-law Christopher, Stephen and Constantine.

Constantine VII succeeded his father Leo VI, but Romanos arranged the Emperor's marriage to his daughter Helena and then used his new status to have himself crowned co-Emperor in December 920 just before Constantine VII reached his majority. Christopher was named Caesar in 921; Stephen and Constantine Lekapenos were proclaimed Caesars in 924. However, Romanos I maintained Constantine VII's rank in the hierarchy of rule over his own sons.

Christopher died in 931. Stephen and Constantine forced their father's abdication in 944, but when they tried to overthrow Constantine VII, the citzens of Constantinople rallied to the Emperor and the brothers were likewise forced to abdicate.

As far as I can tell, this group of five was the largest group of Emperors at any point in Byzantine history. I think that this is a good example of why, as GrandAdmiralJello has pointed out, the Byzantine Empire had so many problems in the highest levels of power. I would add, however, that while the army was central in putting and removing rulers from the throne in both East and West, there were still times when rulers secured the throne through other means, as demonstrated here.

7. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    I've read Imperium, but not Conspirata. Has the third book even been released yet? I keep hearing rumors about release dates being set, but nothing has happened.

Imperium was pretty good, especially the first part centering around Gaius Verres' trial.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Sometimes co-regency could be both incredibly tragic and beneficial for imperial stability: recall what happened to the last Laskarid emperor.

9. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    John IV was blinded on his 11th birthday? Yikes.

10. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Lustrum The real title for the second book, is worth a read. Julius Caesar has a much bigger role. Haven't heard anything about a release date for the third one, though Wikipedia would have s believe its out later the year. I think it should be called Libertias.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yep, but 'ol Mikey retook the Βασιλισσα των πολεων so... where does the ledger balance on that?

P.S. when it comes to reading Roman historical fiction, there's Colleen McCullough.... and there's everyone else. I haven't read Harris yet, but I scarcely imagine he can come anywhere close.

12. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Conspirata was the title for release here in the United States. Wonder why it was changed for the US and Italy.

13. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Harris writes political thrillers, and as the novels are from the POV of Cicero's private secretary Tiro they focus on these aspects, not so much the biographical details and he skims over things at times.

I loved the Verres trial, I wanted to jump up and cheer when Cicero said "Romans are free men!"

Edit: Not sure about the change, it might be because Lustrum is also an obscure English word meaning a period of five years. It's much more appropriate than Conspirata, which I think suits the third novel more as I naturally assume its going to involve the death of Julius Caesar.

Anyone care for a spinoff amph thread on Cicero trilogy?

14. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Colleen MCCullough is awesome - she sets the gold standard for historical fiction research. My favourite historical author is Alison Weir who focuses primarily on 16th and 17th century England.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  15. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Makes sense. It's been two years since I played the game.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Lustrum is a Latin word -- it's a purification ceremony made by the Roman censors every quinquennium at the conclusion of their official duties and it -- by metonymy -- came to refer to the term of the censors themselves along with the five year period between lustrations.

This is why you need to read better historical fiction than random stories using the Roman period as window dressing, as so so many historical fiction works set in Roman times do. The field is populated by hacks who wouldn't know agnomina from ignomina.

17. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003

18. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Lustrum?s=t
    Yes, it is from Latin but the word is also English.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Gonna tell me that katana is an English word too, now?

Don't be alarmed, but if you look up quickly enough you might just see the point sailing right over your head.

edit: Sigh -- to be clear, Katana, the usage of a loan word -- an appropriate loan word -- is not generally a reason to change a title. If you'll notice, the title of the very series also uses a Latin word that -- mirabile dictu -- is also found in English dictionaries.

20. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    If you make that argument about loan words, you could say that about the entire English language.

21. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Well, I think this may be where the confusion is. I'm not advancing a theory that political stability is entirely dependent upon the form of government. I do believe that the form of government (or more precisely, the form of succession within that government, since that's the separate issue we're actually raising) can influence political stability. That is, for a given political entity, some forms are relatively better at promoting stability, and some are relatively worse. I would also tentatively say that overall, some forms of succession trends towards promoting stability in any culture, and some tend to be less apt at this task, again regardless of the culture in question.

I would certainly agree with you that this case you've highlighted is an excellent demonstration of the problem. I'd also use it to a hazard a theory about the distinction between Byzantine and Egyptian co-regency. Because, in truth, there was minimal to no special religious justification for this system in the New Kingdom. However, the co-regencies were virtually exclusively set-up between blood relatives, and always in the style of a clearly aging and outgoing Pharoah serving as co-regent with their chosen successor. In this situation sabotaging one's co-regent was always against one's own self-interest. The combined effort led to continuity in the temperament and staffing of the royal administration. Much like the apprenticeship model of learning trades, it could work as a very conscious opportunity for supervised learning and gradual development into the role of ruler. By contrast, the later Byzantine co-regency was an opportunity to wrest political power from potential opponents.

Does this explain all of the difference between the success of the two systems? Probably not. But I find this a plausible suggestion. I also think it's a good demonstration of the way the structure of the succession can influence its results.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, Katana, I am sure you're correct and Harris was intending to use an "obscure English word" instead of the Latin term to title his Roman-period political thriller. Just like how when people refer to Paris, they mean a city in Montana instead of that silly place on the Seine that nobody's ever heard of.

Wocky: Well, if that's the kind of Egyptian joint rule you refer to, I should point out that the same model was used in Roman and byzantine times as well with equal success. It's only when the co-rulers were supposed to share the rule for an extended period that wasn't a transition where there were problems, starting all the way back to Caligula.

23. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Well very good. So on that basis I think we could all agree that what might be termed "transitional co-regency" (what was used in Egypt, and pre-Caligula Rome) is a better model than ummm. . ."functional co-regency?" I'm wondering what sort of distinctions can be made between other contrasting set-ups.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    But they have different goals, though. The former is to secure the legitimacy of the successor (N.B. the transitional model worked post-Caligula too -- it was generally the most stable model of succession. It was the non-transitional model that failed from Caligula onwards) while the latter is to decide sovereignty among two rulers for administrative convenience, familial amity, to settle rival claims, etc. It seems to never work.

Of course, failing to account for rival claims leads to a Cambyses-Bardiya problem...

25. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I like to read/watch about the Crusades. They seem interesting to me.