main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ancient Races: Celestials, Rakata, and Co

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cronal, May 19, 2011.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Question about the force somewhat related-does everyone think the force came into being alongside the universe or did it exist prior to the universe? Pantheism or panentheism?

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I always liked that still retained something of the triple goddess with Dathomir with regards to TCW's Mother Talzin aka Mother or the Great Mother. She was basically the goddess, & she reminded me of Baba Yaga.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    ColeFardreamer and Sinrebirth like this.
  3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    It was said that Xendor and Darth Ruin met The Ones. I wonder if Ajunta Pall also met The Ones.

4. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    It CREATED the universe

But why it chose the Star Wars galaxy to have life spring forth is quite strange. Yet, it goes to show that among the 2 trillion galaxies in the observable universe, a GFFA is the special one with the Wellspring of Life on the Force Planet.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I’ve enjoyed looking at all this discussion in light of Supernatural Encounters, @Cronal

Cronal likes this.
  6. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    I still need to read that actually but glad to hear it. I had fun like looking back and connecting the dots.

darklordoftech likes this.
  7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    - Choose Your Destiny: An Escape Mission canonizes “The Legend of Lehon”, a “legend” that says Tatooine was once covered by lush jungle and was “the domain of the Kumumgah”.

- The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary canonizes “Gree” and “Aing-Tii” as names of species with neural activity resembling the motions and reactions of the plasma within ancient wayfinders.

Cronal and ColeFardreamer like this.
  8. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Killiks are also mentioned in The Light You Bring, the Squadrons short story.

Cronal and darklordoftech like this.
  9. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    That made it sound as if they are not as mythological or believed to be extinct as in Legends.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    Cronal and darklordoftech like this.
  10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    A character says, “Well, there’s been no stirrings from Imperial Intelligence. Imperial Logistics, on the other hand, is buzzing like a Killik nest.”

11. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Yea, I heard that also. Good to see the Killiks back if so though I kind of hope they keep that whole mystique behind them from Legends.

12. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Well the Force is life and without a universe, is there life? On the other hand, what created the universe if not some form of life, which would mean the Force predated the universe. But then the Force kinda is around God(s) and what made them or did the Force predate them? Chicken and the Egg scenario.
    Unless the Force is what w(h)illed the universe into existence... and the universe creates the Force through its life. Yin and Yang, ever cycling.

The triple Goddess, Maiden Mother Crone, aspect of Wicca and shamanism was well chosen for Dathomir. And interesting representation via Asajj, Talzin and Old Daka!

Given the emphasis on a missing Mother for the family in Legends, I assume Abeloth may have played into the triple goddess aspect of their culture. While the Ones are genderfluid and appear to each culture as their own, as per Book of Sith, to Dathomirians, the Father is a Mother, the Daughter a Daughter and the Son might be a Crone? A similiar triple configuration but with slightly different roles. Unless you account for Abeloth, or would she for Dathomiri feminists then be rather a Dark Man (with white eyes?)? It as well could be Daughter, Abeloth (the Ones' family maid turned Mother) and the original real Mother as another trinity. Imagine a Mortis family configuration with Abeloth as the head, and Daughter and her old Mom (maybe the Force Priestess(es) are said mom's spirit split into multiple personalities) as the other parts of the trinity whereas the Father is the one cast out and wreaking havoc to get back in control.

Anyway interesting culture and implications for Dathomir here!

Not every Sithlord needs to have met them. I hope at least!

But what do you imagine did they do with Xendor or Ruin? Or when/where/how did it go wrong? Where might it fit into their stories we know at least some bits about so far from various sources?

Well the Wellspring and Mortis are not physical locations, so neither in the GFFA literally but between worlds so to speak or the astral realm reacheable via a monolith or likewise spiritual journey as Yoda did on Dagobah (with the entire flight being part of the spiritual journey, not a real flight!).

At least we know the Force is not just limited to the GFFA... I mean, the Vong had it in their galaxy before the frequency shift cutting them off. And E.T. healed people on Earth via Forcebond.

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If I remember right is the triple goddess concept not really a part of theose religions/cultures that are classed as shamanistic

14. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Well they are very diverse and should not be generalised and there are lots of deities depending on what you call a god or other revered type of lifeform, personalised part of nature, etc.

But the triple goddess was one part. Maybe not the oldest, nor the most common, but one of many.

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Which shamanistic culture/s are thinking of? Just want to know

16. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    To clarify, I think the difference between what you and I mean stems from the terms Shamanism vs. Paganism that often are thought to be synonymous while not quite but close.

https://wikidiff.com/paganism/shamanism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_deity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicca

The Triple Goddess of Wicca is a rather modern concept, or redressing of a far older idea present in many religions, among them roman, greek and even christian religions, regardless of them being monotheistic, polytheistic or pantheistic. In the shamanistic traditions though, the triple goddess or three sides/aspects of nature, life or a deity are represented not as a major godly being but rather part of nature and life, a cycle. The melding of these cutlures with roman, greek and christian ideas changed both, with christianity adapting part of the concept in "Father, Son and Holy Spirit", and the naturer religions adapting it as the three cycles of the moon "growing, full, waning" or even of aging like "Maiden, Mother, Crone". Kinda a Yin & Yang concept that adds the third state, balance, as equal to the two others.

So as a basic concept like that it is present in all religions and even in nonreligious traditions. Naming a specific culture would be just one example of many, but the wikilinks should help you.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Very much depend upon what you mean with the concept, would I say and how low criteria you have :-B

So, you are saying that you can't name one? Or am I missunderstanding things? :confused:

18. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I could name them but I rather linked you to a full list of them.

19. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    . double post due to faulty connection

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    It would be funny if there were Rakata relaxing on the beaches of Lehon. Imagine Rakata wearing sunglasses and lying down on a towel.

gizkaspice likes this.
  21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Does the Rakata hologram saying, “It can be theorized that bio-seeding allowed the ecology to remain balanced. It could be expected that the same energy feeding the trees of Kashyyyk also accelerated the evolution of various species” imply that the Rakata machines that made Kashyyyk’s trees giant also created the Wookiee species?

Darth Caliban likes this.
  22. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Yub that much is implied.. well not created the species but transformed it significantly. Maybe it was an Ewok Colony once, eh?

Darth Caliban and darklordoftech like this.
  23. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Speaking of Rakata, was it ever confirmed that it was their skulls that Luke and Ben saw in Sinkhole Station in FOTJ’s Abyss?

Also related to that, I mentioned in the FOTJ thread that I was rereading some of that series, and it’s cool to look at the books that were written before the authors linked Abeloth and the Celestials to Mortis. In Abyss it’s implied that Abeloth is one of the mythical Destructors from Keshiri myth. And while not much is known about the Celestials at that point, based on their exploits and the parallels to Greek mythology, it’s clear that they were essentially the gods of the Star Wars EU. I’m curious to see where the writers would’ve gone on their own had they not tied the Celestials to Mortis. It was Denning who first introduced them in the Dark Nest trilogy, isn’t it?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    Sinrebirth and darklordoftech like this.
  24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I suspect they were going to be picked at more after FotJ - weren’t the aliens in the Jaina-Jagged honeymoon similar?

25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Indeed. The New Essential Chronology mentions “Architects”, but was released after the first two Dark Nest novels. The 1st Essential Chronology mentions “architects” with a lowercase a.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023