main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - Legends “And death shall have no dominion", story about Krennic's daughter (canon & legends mix), 27 Ch. FIN

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by AzureAngel2, Mar 24, 2018.

1. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Title: “And death shall have no dominion", the sequel to "Rage, rage against the dying of the light”

Author:
    AzureAngel2, a silly person with weird ideas at times

Muse and co-editor:
    @DarthUncle, brave husband

Chief editor now:
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Time frame:
    The story starts in 14 BBY. To be exactly shortly after the Emperor and his servant, Darth Vader, crash down into the wilderness of Ryloth.

Summary:
    Orson Callan Krennic is known to be a man of vision and action. But he also has a secret wish. Four years ago his most favourite person in the entire universe got murdered. He cannot turn back time, but he wants a substitute for his immense loss. This is why he will steal from the Emperor, stranded on Ryloth due to a plot of Cham Syndulla. He can only hope not to be caught red-handed. It would destroy him.

Reader warning: Please excuse my weird English! I am German. English is only my Second language!

Disclaimer: SW is owned by George Lucas, Lucas Ltd. and now The Walt Disney Company

Prologue:

In the early morning light the Citadel tower seemed unreal. Its entire metal façade was glittering as if someone had sprinkled fairy dust all over it. This way the military building looked more like the enchanted abode of a princess, ready for the rescue. But there was no dragon to be slain. Nor a brier hedge to overcome. There was only a strict time schedule to follow. Some acts of diversionary tactics also needed to be displayed.

Chess, an ancient strategy game, had only three rules. They said,“Carefully, carefully, carefully.”

The Emperor was certainly nobody to trifle with. Especially, when it was about his personal belongings.

“I am not afraid.” Orson Krennic smiled to himself, while quoting these words from memory. They originated from his old fairy tale book, that he used to have back on Chandrila as a child. “I must go and see this Sleeping Beauty.”

A squad of Coastal defender stormtroopers, more commonly known as shoretroopers, came marching towards him. He neither slowed down or showed great haste. Walking as casual as possible under the circumstances, he met the men in the middle of the square.

[​IMG]

Their leader, recognizable via his sand blue stripe that went along the top of his chest plates and onto the top of his shoulder guard, held up a hand. He came to a halt and so did the soldiers.

“Pete,” the masked man greeted Orson Krennic. “Long time no see!”

“Trouble on top of the circus again.”

“If you cannot fix that, nobody can.”

Against Imperial protocol they gave each other a high five.

“Smell you later, Daggett!” Orson Krennic laughed.

“Put some cans of Corellian ale for us in the fridge, would you,” replied the squad leader. “Field exercise makes us thirsty.”

“I'll do my best.”

Grinning, Orson Krennic moved on, trying not to tread with the dignity and purpose of an Imperial officer. Instead he walked like the farm boy that he used to be a life time ago.

To the military staff of this base he was not the Director of the Advanced Weapons Research division. Nor was he the architect behind the local Imperial security complex. He was simply Pete Rayburn, a radar technician. This alter ego, on which he had carefully worked on the past four years, came with a foolproof disguise. A false beard, a dark-brown wig, spectacles and coloured contact lenses.

Nobody here on Scarif had ever questioned him. He had joined the men at the cantina tables, had used their rest rooms and showers side by side. Off-duty he had played guitar and had sung the songs of their home worlds with them.

It made Orson Krennic sad, that he would need to betray his comrades within the next hour. They were good men, loyal to the Empire and less posh than the wowsers that Tarkin gathered around him all the time. Folk like Admiral Conan Antonio Motti and General Cassio Tagge would never know how to relax themselves with a drink at the beach. Or how to fry a lobster above a fire pit.

Out of the corner of his eyes he saw a movement in the undergrowth. An ugly visage showed itself and revealed a yellowish grin. He knew for certain that it was the Lasat who belonged to Saw Gerrera's partisans. That vile creature had mercilessly executed Alexsandr's entire platoon on Onderon. Luckily, it had left the able ISB agent alive.

Orson Krennic knew that his friend would not agree with his plans for today. But they were based on a simple fact.

In a galaxy too vast to reign properly, children were able to get lost without a trace. Even those who were stored up for safe keeping like Chandrilan grappaberries in a jam jar. That madness would end today.

To enter the building was not an obstacle for him.

“Need help with that bag, Pete?” asked the serving officer straight away. He was a normal stormtrooper and guarded the elevators.

Orson Krennic looked for the man's ID number. “Nay, Trevor. You would not want to go up there. It is a bit spooky, to be honest. Them spiders weave pretty big nets so close to the dish.”

Laughing, the stormtrooper let him enter the main lift that went straight up to the top.

But Orson Krennic did not stay there for long. After a small detour he was inside the secret chamber that the Emperor had wished for straight after the death of his one and only niece.

He walked straight up to a large clone tank and flattened his nose against its glass. A human being, barely five years old, was slumbering inside. It wore the much younger version of a face that had been dear to him for more than forty years.

“Hello there, sleepy head.” His lips kissed the cool glass, leaving stains. “Time to wakey-wakey!”

But Sleeping Beauty would not open her eyes and smile at him. To wake her up would require a bit more of work from his side.

He checked his chrono and realized that he had exactly forty minutes left. Then Saw Gerrera would set hell loose on the beaches of Scarif. Around that time he hoped to be far away with his precious ward.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    DarthUncle and divapilot like this.
  2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    interesting beginning. who is she?

DarthUncle likes this.
  3. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @earlybird-obi-wan: Let me enlighten you with THIS link here. Then the identity of the clone should become kyber crystal clear. ;)

Sources for Chapter 1:
    The JC fanfic story “Three strands” (OCs; one-shot; OTP Fairy Tale Challenge, belated; various original pairings) by @Findswoman
    Wookieepedia – The Star Wars Wiki
    Jedipedia, a free German Star Wars-Encyclopaedia

Sources for Chapter 2:

A sentence from the JC fanfic “Ἀνάγκη – Necessity beyond Sway” by @Chyntuck

Sources for Chapter 3:
    The lyrics of the score “Duel of fates” for “Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace” by John Williams (1999)

Sources for Chapter 4:

The bodhisattva of compassion taken from the website BuddhaNet

Sources for Chapter 5:

A sentence from the move “Rouge One, a Star Wars story” by Gareth Edwards (2016)Words from Darth Revan himself

Sources for Chapter 6:

Lines from the song “Everybody knows” by Leonard Cohen (1988)
    Also lines from the song “Razzle dazzle”, part of the musical musical “Chicago” (1975)
    And lines from the song “Hallelujah”, also by Leonard Cohen (1984)
    My own visit in an art exhibition of Philippe Parreno in the Gropius Building, Berlin (2018)
    Wookieepedia – The Star Wars WikiJedipedia, a free German Star Wars-Encyclopaedia

Sources for Chapter 7:
    Lines from the song “This is not America” by David Bowie (1985)

Sources for Chapter 8:
    The fan fic story “The White Stuff” by @Findswoman for the term Lactokokkus gulbaricus and the organization called Imperial Bureau of Foodstuffs and Consumables (IBFC)
    The on-line article “Orson Krennic: The Machiavellian of 'Rouge One'” by James Akinaka for Fandom.wikia.com (December 2016)
    Ben Mendelsohn quotes taken from the actor himself in “Ben Mendelsohn: Making most of second chances – The Feed”, a YouTube interview by Marc Fennell (22.06.2017)
    Receipts from “The Star Wars Cook Book: Wookie Cookies” by Robin Davis (1998) & “The Star Wars Cook Book II: Darth Malt” by Frankie Frankeny & Wesly Martin (2000)
    The most important sentence of the BBC comedy series “Are you being served?” (1972 - 1985)

Sources for Chapter 9:

Sources for Chapter 10:

Sources for Chapter 11:
    The song “Over the rainbow” by Israel Kamakawiwo'le (1990)

Sources for Chapter 12:
    The website of Reader's digest: funny stuff/ corny Star Wars jokes

Sources for Chapter 13:

Sources for Chapter 14:

Sources for Chapter 15:

Sources for Chapter 16:

Sources for Chapter 17:

Sources for Chapter 18:

Sources for Chapter 19:

Sources for Chapter 20:
    A quote from the movie “Spaceballs” (1987)
    Lyrics from the song “That´s not how the story goes” from the Netflix series “A series of Unfortunate events” (2017)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    DarthUncle likes this.
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Terrific start. Sad that Krennic has to giv up a comfortable persona and life with good comrades. [face_thinking] Clever trick there hijacking and thwarting the Emperor's plans.

AzureAngel2 and DarthUncle like this.
  5. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: Next week I will be too busy to post anything, because of Easter. Family and friends have already booked me.

This is why I answer you now already. I have written a one-shoot about how Krennic´s alias as Pete Rayburn came to live in the first place. The name consists of two character names that Ben Mendelsohn has played in the past (= in the movie "Una and Ray" plus in the TV series "Bloodlines".) And I have to admit that the soldiers also carry names based on roles the Australian actor took on.

But the radar technician thingy was triggered by no other than the gorgeous and talented Adam Driver:

The Citadel tower on Scarif has this colossal satellite dish that is too hard to miss.

And so I gave Orson a reason to sneak around on top of the tower. O:)

Plus a one-shoot where he sneaks into somebody else's shoes for the first time.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  6. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    Ooh, a heist-story to start it off, nice! Ah, yeah, reading that one-shoot on 'Pete Rayburn' I wondered, so it was indeed inspired by that SNL sketch. Now I definitely need fanart of him. Also, clever use of that, and way of giving him unnoticed access to the tower. This story once again reminds us of how much he cares for Ina, that he is willing to put everything on the line to do this.

Not sure you needed to hint for those of us who didn't realise: might have been a great reveal later. But, as Orson said in that one-shoot, a secret that two people know is no secret.

7. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @DarthUncle: Thanks for always finding time to make your stupid wife belief that she can write interesting stories that are worth a comment. You believe more in me than I do.

Don´t know about the fanart yet. But I will not post it here in the JC I think. Just at DeviantArt.

8. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Excuse me Azure, but I do not think that anyone who writes like you do could possibly be stupid.

9. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks for your kind opinion, @Cowgirl Jedi 1701. But I am not really a believer when it comes to myself.

10. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    You need a hug.

[:D]

Consider yourself hugged.

11. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks for the hug, but I...

Ach, Blödsinn!
    I write you a PM about it.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    DarthUncle likes this.
  12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [:D] [:D] [:D] If one hug is good, 3 is even better ;) @};-

13. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @DarthUncle: Just because we have a very big argument on the phone about this and you keep believing in me (just as @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, @Cowgirl Jedi 1701 and @Kahara) I will post THIS. Here you go, some bantha poodoo:

Chapter 1:

My lungs are on fire. Every breath that I make hurts a thousand fold. Yet there is a voice speaking to me. It's male. “Breathe!” it says, more plea than command.

My entire body convulses like it does sometimes during the electrotherapy sessions.

“Just breathe!” The voice is patient, yet determined. “Now!”

For some reason I can smell the ocean. There is also the briny stink of sleaze and fish guts.

Then there are fingers, their touch so familiar. Hands start holding me, offering just love and acceptance.

“It's but a bad dream, Cassie!” another voice, quite different from the first one, announces. “Nobody will harm you on my guard. I promise.”

I taste tears and I am not sure whether they are mine or his.

Dry lips touch my hot brow.

“Please, make an effort here!” There is a considerate pause. “Or I'll tickle you senseless. The Empire has no mercy on little girls who show no commitment.”

I pry my eyes open.

In the twilight of the Coruscant night I can see the outlines of my personal guardian angel. Daddy.

“Back,” I slur, because now and again my facial muscles have a relapse. This is how the speech-language therapist refers to it.

“Sure?” Daddy asks and gently cups the left side of my face.

I nod.

“You will get better, Cassie. I promise.” There is steely determination in his voice. “This is just a phase. It will pass. Darkness always makes way for the light.

The bedside lamp flashes on, sending soft blue glow into my bed room. We just have eye-friendly light sources in our Coruscanti flat. My eyes are photo-phobic since I am back from the hospital. That was about six months ago.

“Let's have a blue milk together,” Daddy suggests. Barefoot and in his army underpants only he leaves my bedroom.

I remain where I am.

Even with my eyes open, I can still see the island. A rocky pyramid that emerges out of a dark blue sea. Each time I visit it in my dreams, a sense of solitude overwhelms me and I do not know why that is.

Sometimes I find myself in a rather different setting though. Then there is a lush, green meadow sprinkled with pretty flowers. Beyond its borders, shining waterfalls spill into a lake. There is also a man with copper red hair. His cheekbones are chiselled on a somewhat feline face. He always smiles at me. And his eyes have the colour of the sky above, where puffy clouds move by.

One time I asked Daddy if we know any people with red hair and he looked rather startled. I swore myself never to ask him again. Normally, he is brave and fearless. Because he is one of the good guys, he wears white like an Imperial Stormtrooper. His uniform even has a long cape, which I adore very much. If he is gone on a longer trip through space, he always leaves a spare cape behind. I am allowed to use it as a blanket at night, if I miss him too much.

“Cassie?”

Daddy is back, holding two mugs in front of him. They both bear the Imperial crest.

“I made myself a Blue Milk Latte,” he states somewhat shyly. “I hope you don't mind.”

I shake my head.

He is a coffee addict. And there is nothing that I can do about it. At least he has stopped smoking since I came to live with him. He is so brave.

While I take my mug from him, a shadow falls on his face. I know why that is. Two days ago my fingers went limp all of a sudden and I made quite a mess. This time nothing happens.

“Cheerio, little soldier!” Daddy says, relief written in his eyes.

“Cheerio!” I echo.

He winks at me.

Together we start drinking.

When Daddy notices that my mug is empty, he puts it on the night stand. “You should get some sleep now. The physiotherapist will be here at 9 am sharp. I won't be able to do home office today. But I won't be gone for long.”

I bite my lip, try to be a big girl. Somebody he can be proud of.

Daddy serves the Empire with dedication. It is egoistic of me to demand more quality time with him. Not only can he build beautiful orbs that hang in space. Occasionally, he saves children like Jyn Erso from bad people.

“But tonight I'll stay on until you are asleep again,” he adds, after having me eyed intensely. Then he laughs, loud and warm.

I giggle, while he lifts my blanket. His body is unbelievingly warm. But then again, I am always cold and it is not the blue milk to blame for.

“Song or story?” Daddy asks.

This is a difficult decision to make. He is good at both.

I snuggle up against him. “A story, please.”

“Once upon a time there was a little squall.” He starts to stroke my hair. “With his family of five, Mommy Squall, Daddy Squall and three siblings, he lived Together in a cosy cave. It lay right underneath the soft balmgrass that covered most of Chandrila's surface. All was well. His family had enough to eat and were not threatened by predators. There was only peace and the beauty of scenery. But the little squall was a curious beastie. A bird had told him about the Crystal Canyons. Those seemed to be an enormous gallery of natural formations made out of rock and crystals...”

Even though I have an idea where this story is going, I let him speak on. His voice always makes me feel secure, even when he is on the other side of the galaxy.

No matter how busy Daddy is, he always takes the time to give me a HoloNet call. If he is gone for more than two days, he has Uncle Alex check on me. And of course there is always Mary, an MV Nanny droid. The Child Protective Services insisted on the latter.

“… And then Mammy Squall gave the little squall a big hug. He promised her to never run off again on his own. And they all lived happily ever after.”

Sometimes I think that Daddy is afraid to lose me. But why should I wander off? I love him very much.

We have a beautiful flat close to the Coruscant sky. I am allowed to lay out a garden on our veranda once I am better again.

Apart from the speech therapy, my arms and legs still need a lot of stimulation and exercises. It has something to do with what my mother did or did not do. I am not sure about it. When I overheard the doctors in the hospital, they said that my muscles were withered. And that is a miracle, that I had survived living with an addict for so many years.

I must confess that I do not remember my mother. Nor her addiction. Not even the flat we have lived in on Level 2685.

My first real memory is that of Daddy asking me to breathe properly like the man in my dreams does, each time I see him.

“Try to sleep now!” he begs me. “Do not overheat your brain!”

I snort. “I am not a robot.”

“Otherwise I could shut your energy down more successfully.” He blows a kiss against my right cheek. “3PO unit protocol droids have a switch like that.”

“Are you going to Eriadu?” I want to know.

“You mean Eadu, where the rainy days never end,” he corrects me. “Eriadu is the home of a crazy old monster.”

“Really?” My eyes almost bulge out of their sockets.

“He likes to steal from others. Ideas, honour, fun. But do not worry, Cassie! I'll keep you safe from Tarkin.”

That name is unknown to me and yet it sends shivers down my spine. “Why is he a monster?”

Daddy tenses. I seem to have asked the wrong question. “Because he can,” he snarls.

“Are you mad with me?”

Kisses rain down on my head. “Nonsense. I am just angry with myself. To talk about monsters is like to conjure them. Somebody wise once told me that saying a name carries a lot of power with it.”

I rub the back of my head against his broad chest. “Who?”

“A very nice kindie teacher.” His voice has a dreamy quality to it. “She always said the most amazing things. The story that I told you earlier on was one of hers. She always made up stories.”

“What about?”

“All kind of stuff. Fools and wise men. Political dramas and palace romances. Magic knights and power crystals.”

“She sounds nice,” I offer carefully.

Daddy sighs. “I wish the two of you could have met.”

“Are you not friends any more?” I wonder.

“Oh Cassie!”

It takes me some heartbeats to realize that he is crying. This is the second time tonight. I turn around to face him, frame his cheeks with my fingers. “Don't be sad, Daddy!”

He crushes me against him. “How can I be sad when I have you?” he sniffs. “You are so wonderful.”

“But I make you cry,” I say.

“Sometimes you remind me so much of her that it hurts. But it also gives me joy.” Daddy softens his embrace. “People are never really gone from our lives. They leave imprints behind. Imprints of love, in the best cases. Ina was such a special person.”

That name sounds beautiful and coming from his lips, it makes me feel happy. I don't know why that is.

“You are also special, Cassie. Actually, you are more than I could ever hope for.”

When I wake up, Daddy is gone. But he has placed his favourite woollen scarf on the night stand. It smells nicely of his aftershave.

With a whoop of joy, I start to loop the scarf around my throat. Not too tight, though.

“Mistress Cassandra,” says Mary and rolls up towards me. “I am glad to see you awake and well. Master Orson did not want to disturb you. He ordered me to tell you that he loves you very much. More than Wookie cookies.”

My heart starts to beat faster.

“Not that Wookie cookies are very healthy,” the MV Nanny droid adds for consideration.

“What's for breakfast?” I throw in quickly, before she is able to hold a long speech to me.

Not every child gets breakfast in bed. I am aware of that. This is all due to my special health condition. But I will get stronger and more independent soon. I long to explore the apartment all on my own, to stop wearing a nappy like some baby.

There are wonderful museums here on Coruscant and public parks. I want to visit them hand-in-hand with Daddy. Perhaps he even makes up his mind about the Imperial palace. He claims there is nothing of interest to see there apart from old men running the show.

I would like to get introduced to our beloved Emperor. The HoloNet News show him as a nice, elderly gentleman. Somebody who could be my favourite uncle, if I had one.

Sadly, Daddy never had any siblings. His mother is already dead, but his father is still alive. This is all I know. Which makes me unbelievingly sad. Family members should love one another. And it would be nice to have a grandfather in my life.

There is of course Uncle Alex. He is not a real relative, but a colleague of Daddy and my appointed godfather. I like his sideburns. They are sort of cute. And they tickle when I kiss him. He does not like physical contact overly much, unless it is me seeking it.

Around me he takes his ugly ISB combat helmet off. He has such wonderful hair underneath it. It is strawberry-blond. He is dressed in grey tones and wears a cuirass all the time. I bet he even sleeps with his armour on.

Once Daddy told me that Imperials in grey-green and olive-green are not so important. From his point of view I have to watch out for people dressed in grey-blue for they are with the Imperial Press Corps. A curious and annoying bunch. The worst guys though are those in black, he taught me. That includes his batch of six personal body guards. DT-L21 is one of them. Since I soiled my pants that particular soldier has a ban on entering our apartment unless I am in real danger.

“Are you ready for your morning toilet?” Mary asks, her electronic eyes resting on me.

“You mean morning wash?” I correct her.

She makes an annoyed bleep as only a robot can. “You are a lady and those have a morning toilet.”

I know that it is important for Daddy that I have a flawless upbringing and lack of nothing. But he should reconsider the programming of our MV Nanny droid. A caretaker should be more fun and not a walking rule book. Plus she should sing more and know magical tricks.

Mary tosses off my duvet and lifts me straight up into her mechanical embrace.

I do respect her but she is not able to do all those wonderful things that Daddy is able to do. He can stick a pencil up his nose and pull it out the side of his head. He can make a ring defy gravity by rising up a string. He can remove his pinkie and put it back again. He can turn water into ice as it pours. He can find a hidden card in a deck.

Wistfully, I look at the HoloPic on my night stand. It shows Daddy in civilian clothing, standing in a sea of grass. His smile is wide and relaxed. The pic is about six years old. I wonder who took it and where exactly.

“Ready when you are,” the MV Nanny droid lets me know.

“Ready,” I give back.

It takes us twenty minutes to go through the washing procedure together. My belly grumbles all the way.

Of course Mary is careful and tender. Her programming is thorough. But she does not tickle me or say something endearing. She just does her work as if I am a piece of floor to clean.

“Thank you,” I say anyway, because Daddy tells me to be polite, even when I am annoyed with somebody.

He has a problem to keep his temper in. Not only Uncle Alex says that about him, he knows himself. They do quarrel a lot, when they are in one room. Words fly forth and back, mostly hissed so low that I cannot hear from my bedroom what is said between them. Sometimes items sail through the air, too. I hear things break. But there is no true reason for concern. Later on they shake hands and have a big glass of Corellian whiskey together. I guess that is their way to show each other respect and appreciation.

Mary rolls in with my breakfast. “Pana cakes,” she tuts. “I wish the master would be more reasonable.”

I find it very reasonable that Daddy created a smiley face with syrup. Eager to taste his masterpiece, I reach for the fork and the knife, but my MV Nanny droid holds me back.

“Not so fast, Mistress Cassandra. A prayer on behalf of Shiraya please.”

Why I should thank a Naboo moon goddess for my breakfast is always a miracle to me, but I do as I am asked. A soldier must follow orders. The life and well-being of others depend on it. That what Daddy always tells me.

“For health and strength and daily food
    We praise your name, Shiraya.”

While I pray, Mary cuts the pana cake for me and the smiley face vanishes. The Greel-wood syrup from Lothal goes runny all over the plate. I cherish every bite I take anyway.

Daddy does great pana cakes. They contain bantha butter and carbosyrup. His secret ingredient is love though. And he has more unlimited stock of it.

(To be continued!)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    DarthUncle and Kahara like this.
  14. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    PS: And sorry for stealing a term of yours, @enzo90. But I liked the word "pana cakes" from your fan fic "Ripples Within Time" immediately. If you do not want me to use it, I take it out of my text immediately.

DarthUncle likes this.
  15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Cassandra is a darling! :) And what a unique side of Orson we see here, a tender daddy image. @};-

DarthUncle, Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  16. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    I liked this. And it's definitely not bantha poodoo!

17. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    I will be away from the boards for a while. A friend of mine from school days wants to involve me in the life of her child, that is due in January next year. I am so excited. This is much better than fanfic. I am proud to matter so much outside work.

Kahara likes this.
  18. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Aww, Cassie is a really sweet kid. :) She sees the best in people, much like someone else we knew well. Though I'm afraid she will be in for some disappointments as she grows up, still it's nice to see her being a happy kid after such a harsh start in life.

Oh man. Orson screwed up BIG TIME and this is still a gut punch. :( His response says a lot about how much he has accepted Cassie -- he really does adore her to share that friendship that he was always so protective of this way. Nagina would indeed have been a great friend for Cassie; they have a great deal in common and she'd know how to nurture the adventurous spirit that I think she's hiding.

[face_laugh] Something about this sounds familiar...

19. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Due to @DarthUncle, @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha & @Kahara this one will go on.

Perhaps @earlybird-obi-wan and @Cowgirl Jedi 1701 might like this Easter egg here, too.

@Findswoman: I hope it is okay for you that I mentioned your fairy tale character Raavané from the lovely story "Three Strands" (OCs; one-shot, OTP Fairy Tale Challenge, belated; various original pairings) for my latest update. If you are not happy about it, please let me know about it via PM immediately.

[​IMG]

(Still Chapter 1!)

Appointments with my physiotherapist, a Tholothian woman named Jena Billilo, are always a highlight for me. It can be pretty exhausting, frustrating even, but in the end I can always be proud of myself. She always finds ways to motivate me.

Her indigo-coloured eyes sparkle when she packs her bag after one-and-a-half hours with me. “Well done, Cassandra.” She has this amazing smile and is always positive. “If you continue like this, you will be able to leave the bed all by yourself in two or three standard weeks.”

Daddy's birthday will be around that time. This I know from Uncle Alex. It is his duty to know everything about everybody within our Empire. This, he claims, makes it easier to separate the good guys from the bad ones.

Nervously, I look at my hands. “Are there many children like me?”

Her smile wanes and her eyes turn sad. “Each child that I treat is different from the others. Its story stands on its own.”

She misunderstands my question. “I mean, would… would… there be a chance meeting… meeting the other children that you treat?” I rephrase.

In front of my bed, she kneels down in order to be at eye level with me. “I only do house visits, because the parents of my little clients wish me to do so. This also saves me money for the rent of a doctor's surgery.”

My heart sinks.

“But if you feel lonely, Cassandra, you could talk to your social worker about it. Arrangements can always be made.”

I nod, but I swear not to let the 'damned authorities' as Daddy calls them, know.

Even though my adoption went through effortlessly, the Child Protective Services like to send someone to check on me occasionally. Daddy is devastated each time, always fearing that I am taken from him. As an Imperial officer and member of the engineer corps he leads a busy life. He has to serve four masters: the Emperor, science, architecture and the military. But he gives his best to be there for me. For that I love him even more.

Mary appears, ready to see Jena Billilo out and lock the door behind the alien. There are times when I feel like the Lovely-Haired Raavané, a famous Naboo fairy tale figure. She was forced to live on a secluded lake island.

Not that Daddy holds me prisoner. Or puts pressure on me in any way. He is just worried for my well-being. So is Uncle Alex, who has to crawl into the greatest sink-holes in his line of work. Turncoats and backstabbers like to hide in such hostile environments, I was told.

Even without his stories I am aware that Coruscant has shadow sides, but I do not necessarily want to seek those places out. It is just that lying in bed all day long, unless one of my many therapists pays me a visit or I am carried onto the patio, is not enough for me. I want to be among people, would like to seek out places like a public library or an art gallery. The HoloNet is useful, but not the real thing.

“Mary,” I beg my MV Nanny droid. “Please carry me to the door!”

If her robot face would be able to show an emotion such as astonishment, she would display it right now. “This is highly irregular!”

Jena Billilo claps her hands together. “Wonderful, the girl wants to leave her bed. Come on! Let us support her, silver slide!”

“Pardon me?” Mary asks back.

Before the MV Nanny droid can hinder her, my physiotherapist picks me up and carries me out of my bedroom. The long, fleshy tendrils of her headdress bounce up and down with every determined step.

When she turns around a corner, she stares straight into Daddy's face. He is wearing his white Imperial Military Uniform and his black leather gloves that always scare me.

“And where do you think you might be going with my daughter, Miss Billilo?” he commands to know in his strictest tone, peeling the gloves off and stuffing them into his belt.

“Cassandra is my last patient for today, because I am going home for the Festival of Stars,” she says.

“Which does not automatically explain why you are loitering around the entrance area with her in your arms.” His eyes are slits, his gaze guarded. “Is this by any means an attempted kidnapping?”

Jena Billilo laughs out loud, a bright, melodious sound. Then she falls abruptly still and looks at me. “Would you like to show your father what we did today?”

I bite my underlip.

“Perhaps in the hallway?” She winks at me. “Minus the bars?”

Seeing how confused he is, I reach out for him and caress his right cheek. “It's okay, Daddy.”

Under my hopeful gaze he melts away like a piece of bantha butter in the sun. “Permission granted, little soldier,” he whispers. “Make your commanding officer proud!”

I salute to him and while I do, I can see tears glittering in the corner of his eyes. They freely start to flow, when my physiotherapist sets me on the floor and I start walking towards our entrance door. I need the wall to support me and I walk slowly, but I walk on my own.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Kahara and DarthUncle like this.
  20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Yay for Cassie's progress and her physiotherapist is wonderful! Mary "Poppins" the nanny droid. Oh, there's a fanfic in there somewhere. [face_laugh]

Very happy this is continuing. @};-

Kahara, DarthUncle and AzureAngel2 like this.
  21. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    There is so much character in this story, absolutely great!

I really like Cassie's voice, and the way she seems to find of getting people to show their best sides. Would never have thought Krennic had it in him, but once again, with her,who wouldn't?!

Lots of nice Easter eggs to find too. And the way we hear about Jyn Erso is chilling, but also clever and logical.

Glad this will continue :D

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  22. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    It seems that our dear Cassandra is already showing something of Nagina's spirit. Perhaps for once Darth Sheev's sheeviness well work out for the good. Whether he knows it or not.

23. enzo90

enzo90 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 28, 2016
    It actually comes from wookieepedia. I thought of pancakes since they were one of my favorite breakfast meals and researched on Star Wars terms for it. Eventually I found Panna Cakes, and just ran with it my story. Feel free to do so with your own!
    The other term- which I believe is in OFFICIAL canon (Not just EU canon) is hot cakes. So they are called both Panna Cakes and hot cakes. There's more information on hotcakes in non EU than there are on non EU Panna Cakes, but quite a lot on Panna Cakes in the EU. I can link you to the article if you need more ideas.:)

24. enzo90

enzo90 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 28, 2016
    Three fluffy hotcakes prepared just the way they make 'em on the red-water moon in the Panna system. Served fresh off the robo-griddle with bantha butter and carbosyrup.-Description for panna cakes at Dex's Diner

Other ingredients: Bantha butter
    Carbosyrup

Yum.:)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  25. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005