main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

" And no questions asked"

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by emporergerner, Mar 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    When Obi-Wan mutter this line to Han Solo in the cantina. Is he trying to use force persuasion. Just the face he makes, to me it seems like he was trying to use the force on Han just like he had on the Stormtroopers.

I could be horribly off, and I'm pretty sure I'm wrong, but did anyone else ever think this?

2. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Since Han then asked a question, I'd say Ben didn't use a Jedi mind trick. [face_laugh]

3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    More like Obi-Wan was emphasizing that part, no Jedi Mind Trick. Also, such only works on the weak-minded and I don't think Han qualifies.

4. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Han seems to know what Obi is talking about when it comes to Imperial trouble. "Well, that's the trick, isn't it?"

5. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    I'm not saying it worked,but if he tried or not.

And we all know Han is not weak minded, but Ben had no idea at the time.

6. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    Han is a smuggler (i.e. criminal) Ben met in a bar on a ghetto planet about 5 minutes ago. I'd say they're not quite to the "mutual trust" phase of the relationship at this point. How does Ben know Han wouldn't contact the nearest Star Destroyer and ask if they'd like to interrogate his passengers and their droids...for a price, of course?

Obi-Wan's lived on a Hutt-controlled planet for years. He's streetwise. He wants to give Han the minimum amount of information and keep everything strictly business at this point.

7. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    No, I don't think it was a mind trick. I believe he just wanted to get his point across while generating the least amount of attention as possible.

8. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Exactly what QGR said. Ben wanted to get Han to accept the offer and not ask any questions that might jeopardize their (he and Luke) position.

9. crimson_forever_77

crimson_forever_77 Jedi Knight

Oct 14, 2004
    Jedis doing the mind trick speak in a very casual, matter-of-fact manner and don't have the edge to their voice that Obi Wan did in that instance. I think you are looking too hard into it.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
  11. nancyallen

nancyallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2007
    Han was meant to have an edge to him. Obi Wan already took a big chance ussing his lightsaber to intercede in the fight. If he gave away that he was actually a Jedi by using mind tricks as opposed to just some old guy who happened to have their weapon and it not work, and given how Jedi are probably viewed, and how the Empire would want them all dead, Han could well have turned them in for the credits he owed Jabba.

Of course, there's a much more basic explanation in that Obi Wan didn't use a mind trick because this could be overplayed.

12. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    That was very risky, just using the lightsaber, but he didn't have much choice. Especially since after he used it, a loyal citizen of the Empire decided to go tell the Stormtroopers that a Jedi was around. But in answer to the question, no I don't think Obi-Wan used a Mind trick, especially since Han was technically outside the Empire, a Criminal, so he probably didn't need much 'no questions asked', he knows the deal...

Also, Han has been influenced by Jedi Mind tricks, in The Courtship of Princess Leia

13. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    No Jedi mind trick, just past experience. Obi-Wan just sensibly knew what the mind-set of smuggler types was. To save a lot of unnecessary question and answer banter, Obi-Wan immediately was trying to set Han at ease.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.