1. Welcome back everyone! Wondering why everything looks different? Please visit HERE for more information!
  2. Welcome Guest. New feature: The Art of Disney…Now discussing:

Art Archive And Now for something Completely Different 12/31/2006

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by DarthMikus, Nov 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. DarthMikus Jedi Master

star 1
    WEll, here's the last of the portraits I was scheduled to do for the http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/ScreamingSamurai/carlos.jpgAntonio Fan Force. This is Carlos, who I believe is a member of the local chapter of the 501st.
    And thanks to Soitscometothis for leaving a nice response to my work. I have to say, your stuff blows mine out of the water anyday. Keep up the great work.
    [image=http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/ScreamingSamurai/carlos.jpg]
  2. NLSkywalker Jedi Youngling

Very beautiful! The color is just amazing and gorgeous!
  3. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    :eek:=D=
    **face jealous**

Geez...these portraits are just awesome!!! The one for your "artistic friend" is fabulous: I love the way you have her holding her hot-glue gun like a blaster, and have her art scissors in a thigh-holster, lol!--wonderful touches! There's such a fantastic light in how you color these, DarthMikus--sort of luminosity that's hard to describe, but that really imbues them with a wonderful life...just gorgeous! I never cease to be amazed and impressed when I drop in here! =D=

FF
  4. DarthMikus Jedi Master

star 1
    hey, Y'all
    It's been hotter than Mustafar here in Texas and i'm sure everyone is feeling some part of this summer in your own neck of the woods..
    I know I've been promising to get back on the horse and finish up Fall of the Jedi, but I've been a little busy with portait work.
    Oh, and for anyone curious enough, even though I wasn't there for the entire production, i have an easter egg that made it to the final cut of A Scanner Darkly, out is theaters this summer.
    But again, I've got some non star wars related art to show everyone.
    This ne is one of the rarer pieces that I was happy with after it was finished. This one took me a couple of hours to complete and it's another friend of mine who was brave enough to volunteer herself.
    Here in all her glory....Melissa
    [image=http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/ScreamingSamurai/melissa.jpg]

p.s. I'm working on a test piece tonight for FOJ that I should post up here by the end of the weekend.
  5. NLSkywalker Jedi Youngling

Wonderful! I really like the highlight of her hair!
    May I ask you if this is hand drawing or computer drawing?
  6. DarthMikus Jedi Master

star 1
    Hello, NL
    First off, I have to say thanks for checking out my art here on this thread and to answer your question.
    I work in photoshop all the time. I got a wacom tablet last year and it's totally changed the way I work.
    Deb (falconFan) blows me out of the water when it comes to working in graphite though..i've been spoiled by photoshop and tend to scribble away on one layer that get thrown away after I do the final linework.
  7. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    :eek::oops:

I can't believe I didn't leave a comment on Melissa's portrait, DM--and my most sincere apologies, too, as I muttered and marveled for a long time over it! It's just beautiful (as is she--you've got some good-looking friends there in San Antonio! ;) ), and fits right in with all the other recent portraits you've been doing--gorgeous highlights and shadows, with that amazing luminosity that really fascinates me about your work... Just beautiful! Fantastic work once again--and very much looking forward to an addition to FOTJ, when you have one to put up! :D

FF

8. academygrad88 Force Ghost

star 5
    All of your portraits are beautiful, DarthMikus.=D=

I am glad your computer is up and running again. I had the same thing happen to me on my new computer recently. Luckily it crashed a few weeks after I got it, so most of my stuff was on my old computer still. I went out and got an external harddrive recently and back up everything on that now.

AG88
  9. semicooke Legacy Concept Artist

VIP
    star 1
    Like others are saying, very nice portraits! Nice palette of colors on those head shots.

Whenever anybody does a detailed coloring job on the computer, it can fight 'busy inking' and create a confusing mess. I like the reduction of linework down to the basics, really allows the colors to define form. Good Job!
  10. DarthMikus Jedi Master

star 1
    Okay..
    A long time ago...I started working on my first piece of fan fiction..yadda yadda yadda..
    After a long absence from working on it, I finally started putting it back together.
    Originally, it was going to be animated...then I realized..I didn't know what I was doing...so then it was going to be a webcomic..Then I got busy with work...REALLY busy...
    Anyway..I've been tinkering with animation again..so the Fan Fiction, Fall of the Jedi is going to be animated the way it was originally intended. The truth behind the project if to see how far I've come with animation
    Another shakedown project in a list of many projects on the horizon.. Anyway..It's pretty much just the opening crawl and first background set up for the whole chapter.
    This is strictly a work in progress and won't get much as far as artwork..none at all ..in fact, but this is the tempo and musical score I've rough cut into the chapter. This is just going to be the orginal establishing shot of the Star Blazer flying by as in the webcomic followed by some more scenes in the dark ship.
    the first five pages of the comic are pretty much the storyboards for the whole chapter.
    http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/40508758/
  11. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey DarthMikus! Glad to see you back! The animation looks great so far (and I loved the graphic novel format)--love the scoring, which really reflects the story being told. This is a great concept: putting a more individualized "face" on the Purge and what the scattered remaining Jedi were forced to do, to try to survive. Interesting characters and dynamics, and wonderful artwork. I'm glad you're still working on this, and am looking forward to more (of whatever you can post!)!

FF
  12. DarthMikus Jedi Master

star 1
    Howdy folks,
    Just a quick note to let everyone know that A Scanner Darkly will be released on DVD on December 19th. I worked on that movie as an animator and was involved in the scramble suit design. If you look closely throughout the movie you can catch glimpses of characters from Star wars, Star Trek and other various characters of anime and sci fi.
    Another point of interest is a scene where Bob Arctor (Keanu Reeves) takes a blonde woman to his bedroom..If you look closely, you'll see a toy based on myself in pink and black wrestling tights sitting on a shelf.
    Anyway...A Scanner Darkly available dec 19th..
  13. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    "I worked on that movie as an animator and was involved in the scramble suit design. If you look closely throughout the movie you can catch glimpses of characters from Star wars, Star Trek and other various characters of anime and sci fi."

Whoa!! Too cool! We're in the presence of greatness here! **note to self: run out and get DVD on Dec. 19th!** And you know I'm going to be looking for the little "self-portrait-of-the-artist" now! lol! Pink-and-black tights! [face_laugh][face_laugh] Can't wait! ;)

FF
  14. rocketscientist Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hi DarthMikus! Your work is fabulous! So you're in the 'industry' eh? Was there myself once upon a time. Not as an artist per se, but as an artisan.

Congrats on Scanner Darkly! Can't wait to check out the DVD!

[face_mischief]
  15. DarthMikus Jedi Master

star 1
    If there is a bright center of the "industry"...I'm in the corner that's farthest from it.
    Thanks for checking out my work, rocket.
    I should be back to posting star wars related artwork shortly..I just have a couple of projects in the works at the moment.
    The first cut of the animated version was horrible..it all started off great, but this project is a crash course in Flash for me. I had tons of audio issues to deal with..there still won't be a dialogue track, but I've got music to go along with it and coloring in my typical fashion is much more of a challenge in flash..
  16. rocketscientist Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ok - this is going to sound pretty stupid (but that's ok - I'm used to it), but what exactly is Flash? I've seen people refer to it - is it an animation program?

As far as bright centers of the "industry" goes - contrary to popular belief, they are few and far between. Usually to be found at the bar at the end of the 12/14 sometimes 16 hour day! :p
  17. NarCranor Force Ghost

star 2
    Wow. That is a really sharp body of work you have there. I particularly like the "cover" to "Worth Saving" Luke's head got squished slightly, but the likeness is good, and the two women look great! The initial picture of Kel Van Dorren is a great character pin-up! And naturally the rest of the work is top notch. I would love to have you do a pin-up or two for us over at http://www.fandomcomics.com for our Clone Wars D20 Fan Sourcebook. I have a thread in this forum that shows off some of our other contributors, and I think you'd be a great addition to that already stellar line-up!

Also, I have been a big fan of the Trash Compactor Chronicles for quite some time now. It is basically one of the only other sites out there doing anything close to what we are doing at fandom comics. Anyway, great job on all the pieces!
  18. Cara_Undercover_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
  19. DarthMikus Jedi Master

star 1
    Hey, Cara
    Thanks for stopping by to check out my work.
  20. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    =D= I saw A Scanner Darkly in the cinema (I had to, one of my favourite books from my teens), very cool visuals. Congrats on your piece of immortality.=D=
  21. DarthMikus Jedi Master

star 1
    Well, I didn't want to post this till I knew that she was happy with it.
    I honestly didn't have a lot of time to work on this, but i am happy witht he result.
    This will accompany her story in the archives.
    Just look up the lovely and talented, Zonoma, for more details..[image=http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/ScreamingSamurai/setforth2.jpg]
  22. BigFatty Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm sure she'll love it. It looks great--awesome job!
  23. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    OMG... **lip begins to quiver**

:_|=D=:_|=D=

This is perfect, DarthMikus...just perfect. I blubbered like a little kid when I read through that story, and this beautiful image is a perfect illustration of it... You have such a tremendous talent, and it's such a wonderful compliment to Zonoma's incredible writing gift...you two make a formidable team! :)

Just a gorgeous cover! =D=

FF
  24. Zonoma Force Ghost

star 5
    Mike!

I was so very excited when you agreed to do the coverart for this vig. When you finished it, though.... just 'WOW'. Thank you so, so much. I love the deep blues and purples and the memories of Han and Luke in the background. To be honest, I had no idea of how this would or even SHOULD look. You did an incredible job with the design and color choice and (of course) the drawings.

Many thanks and many hugs for you. It looks wonderful!

Zonoma
  25. DarthMikus Jedi Master

star 1
    Well, hello, BF
    Thanks for checking out the work and leaving a nice comment.

And Deb,
    You know..When I first read the story, I was little confused about exactly who they were mourning..I mean..It's obvious knowing who the charaters are, but part of me..well alot of me was in simple denial of the identities of the fallen heroes. But her take on it was a refreshing perspective.
    I kind of left the story feeling a bit like i did at the end of Star Trek: Generations... You know our heroes are only mortal, but the death of those heroes is always a bitter pill to swallow. And Zonoma's take on the story leaves their deaths not only to your imagination, but sheds light on the feelings of those left behind to pick up the pieces. When they have nothing to do, but get up the next morning and begin their lives without them.

And Jessica,
    Thank you for thinking of me first when it came time to put this into the archives. It's always a full blown pleasure to work with you. And keep up the great fan fictions. I love them.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.