main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Edmonton And so it begins......

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by BFett333, Dec 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geekgirl76

geekgirl76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    And if I said the hardest part would be the boots? :p [face_laugh]
    Muscles aside, I think you could get away with a skull cap (not have to shave your head) and maybe sculpy and spirit gum for the jaw. Not that hard if you had the guts to wear it. Everything is the same colour and the details look like they could he stitched onto a spandex or if you wanted to add some inches, neoprene. Neoprene has the advantage of being able to "strategically stuff" areas but it would be really hot. It also doesn't fall into the category of my "no guys in spandex" rule. :p

On the downside I don't know where to buy it and I've never worked with it. Angela, do you think that PVC stuff would work? Where does your friend order it from?

2. fingthething

fingthething Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    If i had a good enough costume, id shave my head for it ;)

3. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    I like that Gammorean, but the head seems a bit too small...

Hell, I would help PAY for your costume stuff Danny, just to see you shave your noggin... ;)

4. BFett333

BFett333 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2003
    Well....PVC is pretty thin so I'd have to say no. I think it could be done with sewing batting to lycra? That's how they make those muscle man costumes, isn't it?

5. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    I think we'd have to go with a light foam rather than batting, something that won't shift. We wouldn't want any "enhancements" lopsided. :p But thinking on it Lycra would be good if it were heavy enough, and 4 way not 2 way. :)

As for the Gamorean I think the basic outfit shoud be a snap. It does look very boxy, I think a few more inches of fabric would have improved that one a lot.
    People who skimp on fabric are the bane of my existence this week. The tunic needs something more, maybe a motled vinyl instead of the very uniform colour. Who's going to Marshals anytime soon?

6. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    Uh, I don't think I'll be since I don't even know what or where that is.

7. BFett333

Jun 22, 2003
    Yeah....there is just something wrong with that Gamorrean. Something missing or not right with the tunic. I'll have to look into that. Fabricland has this stuff called elephant suede that is that fake suede but it's go all sorts of grain in it to make it look imperfect. It's pretty cool. I'm going to use it for Laura's Aurra Sing vest.....might work well for the Gam too....maybe..perhaps....LOL

8. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    It's not just the material. The mask is different too.

Here's a reference

Return of the Jedi:

[image=http://www.episode-x.com/galleries/EpisodeVI/Gamorrean.jpg]

And here's the costume:

[image=http://www.chicagoforce.org/images/2003capricon/party_15.jpg]

I think the mask would need to be built-up somewhat... or fattened.

Here's a close up of the mask as well:

[image=http://www.nightmarefactory.com/gaurd.gif]

You can't really tell on the boards because the close-up of the mask is squished but it does look different somehow.

9. fingthething

Nov 6, 2001
    I was in Pretty Party Place today, and they dont have that mask anymore :(

And they did'nt have the normal red make-up that I use fo Darth Maul :mad:

10. BFett333

Jun 22, 2003
    Danny,

Try Shirley Potters downtown....they have tons of makeup all the time.

What did you decide about Saturday? Are you coming with us to help or in costume? Ted said that he tried to email you but the email got bounced back to him.

Hmmmm...come to think of it....Shirley Potters might have a Gamorrean mask too. If you got there...anyone...you have to ask to go downstairs. That's where all of the helmets and masks are for sale. The stuff upstairs is for rent....but that's also where the makeup is.

Berk.....perhaps Terry, Liann and I should start designing the costume for you...then if you find a mask we are good to go! Although it would be really painful for the three of us girls to get together once again and talk about sewing......LOL

11. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    You guys are tough, I am sure you would be able to forge ahead and manage... ;)

12. fingthething

Nov 6, 2001
    Where is that exactly? I've never heard of this Shirley Potters before, I thought the only place to get make-up when its not halloween is at Pretty party place and there make-up sucks so I definatly want to check them out.

And Ang, could you give me a call and give me a few more details on this Saturday. Yes I'd love to come in Costume if thats cool :) And yes, i just checked my Email just now(sorry i never check it) and had a few emails from you guys at the 501st. But i'd just like to get a few more facts from you if I can. I'll PM you my number.

The only issue right now is i kind of need a place to put my make-up on, because i don't really want to ride the LRT as Darth Maul(although it might be interesting). But i might be able to figure something out :)

13. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    Shirley Potter is anything to do with costumes and dance. We used to get my slippers from them. They'll have way better make-up for sure, they might even have the same brand they used in the movie, if not they can probably order it in. It's right downtown, 105st and 102 Ave it's a white building on the north side of the avenue.

14. BFett333

Jun 22, 2003
    Thanks Terry! Yup...Shirley Potters is cool. Sometimes a tad expensive....but what are you going to do? They are the only ones in town. Apparently there is a half way decent costume store in Spruce Grove that Charlene was able to get her makeup at. So that's another option. But really....if you can't find some make up at Shirley Potters.....it's probably because they don't make it. Plus....the people there generally know what they are talking about when it comes to application etc. Perhaps we'll have to have a group outting one day.

On another note....I was just thinking this morning that I have a cousin here in the city that has been in drama stuff for years and has completed his degree at the U of A. I'm going to contact him to see if he knows of where we can learn the art of latex.....heck, he might even know how to do it! Maybe vaccuforming as well! Wouldn't that be handy!

Danny......I'll give you a call in awhile...I doubt you're up yet. ~grin~

15. fingthething

Nov 6, 2001
    *Yawn* Im up now ;)

16. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    If it were any other day I'd be getting up about now :p

Anyway, does anyone have an opinion on that mask?

17. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    The chin/lower jaw doesn't stick out enough but I don't know what to do about it. I think for the price it's not bad. I'd keep looking around and if you don't find anything better, go for it.

18. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    mask looks goods

19. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Yeah, the snout and the cheeks defintely could be widened some. I don't think there's much else out there for Gamorrean masks but I'll give it a try. I'm not willing to spend too much on a mask (not like the royal guard helmet, anyway)

20. BFett333

Jun 22, 2003
    Good grief.....I was outbid on ebay for some scaled down for female arms type gauntlets. They weren't really right...more Boba and Jango...but they would have been good until I got some built. Dang!

I talked to my cousin who's...well....okay so I'm not really sure. He does set construction and all that kind of stuff for plays. Anyway...he's going to show me latex! Yippeeeee!!!! He knows how to do one kind really well....which isn't the kind we need but it's a start. He said he'd also be able to point me in the right direction for product and has all sorts of tricks and hints! I spoke to him specifically about the headtails for Shaak. He has some great suggestions for that! I'm so excited!

And on another semi-exciting note....I got the pleats figured out! I laid a section of fabric out and then used my little chalk thingy to mark out one inch sections. Then I pinned....three times as a matter of fact....until I got the spacing right to end up with a piece that fits the yoke piece. I got two pieces all marked and pinned. Now I just have to do two sections in the opposite direction and it's good to go! The rest of it will be a complete breeze! Well....except for the ironing part. But that won't be hard....just time consumming. Although....the fabric lays really nice in the pleats when pinned so that's encouraging.

21. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    Great news on the pleats and the latex

22. BFett333

Jun 22, 2003
    Yeah....I'm pretty excited about the whole thing! These cloaks are going to look awesome! And now that I have it figured and (hopefully) the pattern completely redrafted correctly.....I could make a fortune selling the dang things on Ebay! Okay, okay...so maybe not a forture...LOL Thanks to Charlene and Danny being my guinea pigs. Then I just have to tackle the tunic etc. Ugh...and those dang pleats on the sleeves of the tunic.

23. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    I've got my battle coat pretty much done, it just need some snaps and I need to finish sewing down the ribbons down the side of the skirt part. Here are some bad photos of it so far.

24. BFett333

Jun 22, 2003
    Wow Liann! That's turning out fantastic!

25. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    Thanks, I'm now attempting to make pants for the first time, the practice ones turned out pretty good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.