main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

And the second Anthology film is officially about...

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Lulu Mars, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    HAN SOLO

From starwars.com:

The next adventure in the Anthology series of Star Wars films will be directed by Christopher Miller and Phil Lord, whose credits include the critically acclaimed The LEGO Movie and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, as well as 21 Jump Street and 22 Jump Street. Among the most sought-after filmmakers working today, the two have proven a formidable duo on the multiple films they’ve collaborated on and are looking forward to applying their unique creative chemistry to the Star Wars universe.

“This is the first film we’ve worked on that seems like a good idea to begin with. We promise to take risks, to give the audience a fresh experience, and we pledge ourselves to be faithful stewards of these characters who mean so much to us. This is a dream come true for us. And not the kind of dream where you’re late for work and all your clothes are made of pudding, but the kind of dream where you get to make a film with some of the greatest characters ever, in a film franchise you’ve loved since before you can remember having dreams at all.”

The screenplay is written by Lawrence Kasdan and Jon Kasdan. The story focuses on how young Han Solo became the smuggler, thief, and scoundrel whom Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi first encountered in the cantina at Mos Eisley.

Lawrence Kasdan, the writer and director known for Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Big Chill, and Grand Canyon, is familiar to Star Wars fans for having co-written the screenplays for The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and The Force Awakens. His son Jon Kasdan wrote and directed The First Time, which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival, and In the Land of Women, as well as writing for the television series Freaks and Geeks and Dawson’s Creek.

“We’re so excited to be working with Chris and Phil, who will bring a fresh new dimension to the Star Wars universe,” said the Kasdans. “They’re two of the smartest, funniest and most original filmmakers around, and the ideal choice to tell the story of Han Solo, one of the coolest characters in the galaxy.”

Kathleen Kennedy, who will be producing, says she can’t wait to discover what’s in store from these two extraordinary teams of directors and writers.

“It’s not just any filmmaker who can tell the story of such a beloved icon like Han Solo, and I’m excited to say we’ve found the perfect team to handle the task. Larry and Jon know all there is to know about the character, and Chris and Phil will bring their wit, style, energy and heart to tell Han’s story.”

Slated for a May 25, 2018 release, the film will be executive produced by Lawrence Kasdan and Jason McGatlin and co-produced by Will Allegra.

2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Ughh... No.

TheOneX_Eleazar and Darkslayer like this.
  3. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    I don't have anything against Disney owning Star Wars, so don't get me wrong but seriously, they are trying waaaaaay to hard to endear OT fans.

Yeah, we get it! Those movies are classics but it's time to move on and start exploring new characters and do something fresh.

4. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I'm not overly enthusiastic either, but I guess it's nice that the old-schoolers can finally get this out of their system (remember that the young filmmakers of today mostly belong to that category). The first batch of Anthology movies are probably all gonna be OT centric, but sooner or later, I'm positive that they'll be spread across a wider portion of the GFFA timeline (KOTOR and all that jazz).
    Ten, fifteen years down the line, we'll probably even have true PT enthusiasts writing/directing for LFL.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My first reaction to this news was "Shut up and take my money!"

The Lego Movie is funny as hell.

And Han Solo is...Han Solo. He's just awesome.

Screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan? YES.

I am so excited about this, as much as I am for Rogue One (and I'm excited for Rogue One), more so than for TFA.

Sarge, Forbidden Island and Lulu_Mars like this.
  6. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    So, let's speculate! How old will Han be in this movie? Teens, twenties? Will it tell his whole story, from childhood to ANH? In that case, will the Clone Wars be featured in the beginning?

Will Peter Mayhew be in it?

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He was 29 in ANH; I'm hoping for late teens/early 20s.

Also hoping they borrow a bit from Legends and have him get booted from the Imperial Academy for refusing to kill Chewie. If it were me, I would make that the opening of the movie and then show how he got into the smuggling business.

The movie could also show how he got the Falcon off Lando.

StoryWorthTelling likes this.
  8. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Good thoughts! It's a good bet that they will borrow elements from Legends. Not that Kasdan is such a diehard fan as Filoni is, but it seems to me like the sort of thing Lucasfilm would want them to do.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  9. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

I'm not a betting man, but I can pretty much guarantee that part will be in the movie - regardless of what it's about.

10. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    And, of course, this: "You've got a lot of guts coming here, after what you pulled".

Sarge and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  11. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    Well , predictable ...
    But , let's see how it goes .
    They could borrow some elements from various Legends books (HSA,HST etc.) .

12. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015

shut up and take my money:D

Darkslayer and Lulu_Mars like this.
  13. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    Sana Solo, anyone?

I'm looking forward to this. After all the talk that we'd have some sort of Boba Fett movie which would potentially not even be canon, it's refreshing to see the rumors were false. Of course, Han Solo has been rumored from the beginning.

I hope we see Chewie in this. It would be nice to see them pull from Scoundrels, because I really loved that book, or the A.C. Crispin Han Solo trilogy, which was also fantastic.

14. lbr789

lbr789 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    I've got mixed feelings about this. But I do know that I really, really hope Sana does not show up.

Darkslayer likes this.
  15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Had to check the Wook for that one, and all I have to say is: what the hell? No! Nononono! No! [face_phbbbbt]

I feel bad for saying this, but this is a Star Wars movie I'm not excited about. I mean, it could be great, and I will probably be there at the midnight premiere, but the premise isn't very interesting to me. And most of all, I can't imagine seeing anyone but Harrison Ford in the role. I hope they have it take place about ten years before ANH, and have someone who's practically identical to a young Harrison Ford, because otherwise I won't buy that it's Han.
    They should just hire that Anthony Ingruber guy, he's played a young Harrison before, and he certainly looks the part.

Come on, Lucasfilm, do something unexpected for the Anthology movies!
    Not just prequels to ANH (though I am excited for Rogue One).

Alienware and Pensivia like this.
  16. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Honestly, I'm only excited about TFA - and only mildly.

At the moment...

17. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I'm looking forward to this but I do cringe thinking about someone other than Harrison Ford playing Han Solo....it seems wrong and unnatural.

18. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I'm sure I'll probably end up going, but I just have to chime and say yeah, I think it will be really, really difficult for me to accept anyone else in the role.[face_plain] But just mayyyyyybe they can make it work somehow if they can find a largely unknown "hidden gem" to play Han.

19. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    Maybe it'll be animated, so Harrison Ford can do the voice acting? I just can't picture anyone else in the role.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  20. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    To the PT/TCW crowd this is new stuff wouldn't you say?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    You realize that fans of the PT and TCW weren't all born in the 90s, right? A good deal of users here have been fans since 1977

Anyways, I'm not particularly interested in this one. I'm on board with the sentiment of Ford = Solo

TheOneX_Eleazar and Chris_Fives like this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    To the people whose first experience was the PT and TCW and grew up with them.

24. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm pretty sure they have seen the OT too.

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    3 movies of the OT Characters compared to 3 PT movies and 125 episodes or whatever it is of TCW. What era would people know more of?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.