main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

And the second Anthology film is officially about...

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Lulu Mars, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    By that reasoning, this should be new stuff to everyone ;)

2. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    This really doesn't pique my interest and I kind of wish these wouldn't happen between episodes of the new trilogy. I expected the so-called spin-offs to be completely different and it looks like a big rush to get in on the heavy box office of "cinematic universes." Everyone in movies has to fight now, so expect to see Han and Lando fighting each other like Kirk and Spock in the new Star Trek, or Batman and Superman supposedly in that new movie.

3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    No

Chris_Fives likes this.
  4. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Why do threads always become an OT/PT debate? :rolleyes:

Anywho, on the topic.

Here are some of my issues with having a Han Solo standalone film:
    - If it's a young Han then who to cast instead of Harrison Ford
    - If it's an old Harrison Ford re-praising his role I don't know. I will cringe like IndyIV. I don't think it will work for me.
    - Animated could work but what would be the added benefit of re-hashing stuff we already know. He was a smuggler that worked for Jabba. He won the Falcon from Lando in a game of dice/cards. He dumped his cargo because he was boarded by Imperials at some point. He has some history with Bobba Fett. Do we need to see this?, I guess you could say yes but I have a lot of misgivings about more prequels.
    - If it's a pre-ANH story, will it show the Han Solo that shoots first and puts money before anything else?, or the Han Solo that only shoots in self-defense and does the right thing because it's right?. There's a risk that they will further change the character that was Han Solo (like GL started doing when he changed some of the scenes).
    - Doing a prequel, or story of Han that happens in parallel to the OT would be an issue as the actors are too old now and casting new actors could ruin the whole thing.
    - Best option IMHO would be to do a Han Solo story in-between ROTJ and TFA that sets up or explains or sets up some things in TFA. There's still the issue of who to cast. They could opt for a CGI Han with live actors. Like in TRON or the new Terminator. Again it's not without issues.

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm of this thinking as well. I agree with what's been mentioned here-that it's likely they're just starting with OT era favorites in order to establish a solid new fanbase for these Anthologies, but after a few of them (even though wer'e talking as far out as after 2020) they will likely branch out to the PT and possibly different eras.

All that said, I'm actually surprised there's not more excitement for this. Han is not my favorite character by any means, but there's lots of things we can look forward to in this one: How Han got into smuggling, Han meeting Chewie, Han winning the Falcon off of Lando, the "Battle of Tanaab," etc. I'm sure it's likely enough we'll see all them, and even possibly Boba Fett and/or Jabba as well. This could introduce us to grittier, more underbelly-type parts of the galaxy we've only seen briefly before, in Jabba's palace.

7. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    When you put it that way, I can't help but get a little excited :p

Gritty underbellies FTW!

Chris_Fives likes this.
  8. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    But would we see that?,

GL started "cleaning" the image of Han a while back. Will Disney continue this trend and give us a Han that's more Kanan/Hera (minus the Jedi powers).

Still may be fun to watch, but the casting (if live actors) will make or break this movie.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  9. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I suppose that's the question then, isn't it? [face_thinking]

Regarding casting, I agree. I know some here have disagreed with this point, but looks alone aren't enough-the actor needs to capture the personality and mannerisms/facial expressions of Han as well. Maybe people can change those things over the years, but I assure you that's not how WE as viewers will see it-we will compare young Han to old Han.

Martin Freeman has been mentioned before regarding this-having adapted his younger Bilbo Baggins to resemble Ian Holm but still give it his own character. But respectfully, I don't think that Martin Freeman's changes in mannerisms is a good example of the contrary. Although he was fantastic as a young Bilbo Baggins, in all truth Bilbo had a very minor part in the LOTR trilogy. Han is one of the MAIN three characters in all three OT films-and will also be in a fourth! People will be comparing his younger self much more attentively to his older self than a hobbit who really only appeared at the beginning and ending scenes of a vast trilogy.

I think it can be done. I (as well as many others) was very happy with how they cast/directed young Obi-Wan. If this new actor gives the same attention to the role as Ewan McGregor did, it will be great!

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Recasting Han Solo is highly risky but, if it is done with care, the result could cover the sin of recasting him in the first place.

11. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    For me the best I've seen in terms of handling an established character in a younger format are:

MIB 3. The actor that plays the young agent K is great!, good call on casting, good acting to re-create the personality of agent K. Really worked for me (regardless of what you think of the MiB films).

TRON Legacy's CGI version of a young Jeff Bridges. It's really good. There's a video in this link:

http://gizmodo.com/5788628/exclusive-how-tron-starred-a-young-jeff-bridges

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    CGI Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy didn't work at all for me. Then again, nothing in that movie worked for me.

13. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

I really liked Tron, but although I thought MIB3 was just okay, Josh Brolin was a perfect younger K. He had his mannerisms and vocal intonations down pat. You forgot it wasn't actually Tommy Lee Jones. If we can get something like that for a young Han, I'm okay with it.

14. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I've always liked Colin Donnell for a young Han Solo. Granted, he's 32 now. But frankly, I'm very much hoping this won't be a "teeny-bopper" Han,but one somewhat more advanced in his smuggling career. He has the rugged good looks. And his voice (at least to me) sounds fairly Ford-esq.

I would hope the film shows his work for Jabba,early friendship with Lando and his path being crossed by Boba Fett. You could probably pack all that in there and make an entertaining movie, so I'm not adverse to such a film. We got "young Indy" and the world didn't end, no matter how good or bad you perceive that series to be. Why not "Young Solo"?

15. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I expect them to give us exactly what they believe the old-school fans want out of this movie. Every little bit of Han's history that's been mentioned in the movies will be shown in this one.
    I won't necessarily mind it. All I'm hoping for is a really good movie that has a couple of surprises up its sleeve.

16. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    Yeah, he's great.

[​IMG]

Acting and impersonating can be two very different things though, and I haven't seen him in any of his acting roles to make a better judgement, but he definitely looks like a young Han Solo.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  17. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    I honestly have zero interest in this. Unless they have something really special, it may be the first time I don't bother seeing a Star Wars movie on opening night.

Alienware likes this.
  18. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    Technically it is the third anthology film, or the fifth perhaps. The 2008 The Clone Wars is sort of one of those.
    Ah it's that guy again. He just looks like someone doing an impression. How he would actually act with people and deal with a movie set is another thing.
    One problem I have with these kinds of things is that this movie is likely to condense everything important that made Han into the Han we know into a short string of events, kind of like the beginning of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade but without the comedic tone.

Sarge likes this.
  19. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    Can I just say how disappointed I am in... so many negative reactions to this?

This is nothing short of incredible. Whether we get Chris Pratt or Chris Pine or whomever -- this movie is going to be incredible. The Kasdan's writing this?

Honestly -- the fact that the first few posts were so negative reminds me yet again why posting here is just not fun for me. After 15 years here on these boards I would hope we got the negative nellies out of here for good.

20. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001
    And Guiness = Obi-Wan... Until Ewan = Obi-Wan

Sorry -- but Harrison Ford was unable to be frozen in Carbonite this time around and he actually got too old to play Han Solo in a movie about Han's early life. Go figure.

21. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001
    The movie is coming out in 2018... "Big Rush" indeed.

22. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Epic triple post dude

episodenone likes this.
  23. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    I thought the board rules didn't allow such a thing...:confused:

What people are saying is that we hope it's not Harrison Ford playing Han as a lot did not really like how Indy IV played out. It's hard to have an old action hero... unless you're Sean Connery... but I digress.

A better movie will feature a Han Solo in-or around the time of the OT either pre-OT or post-OT. In which case if it's a live action film then you need either to cast an actor that looks like Harrison Ford OT time, or use some technique like TRON.

The case of Ewan's Obi-wan is different as we never saw how a young Obi-wan looked. I mean you can see pictures of Sir Alec at the same age but that's not the same. If you can understand the difference. And through acting and make up you can see that Ewan and Sir Alec are one at the same (if you suspend your disbelief), and it's not perfect due to the changes in the style of swordplay and other plot issues.

The similar thing would be to cast a 12 year old actor to play a young Han Solo. Then you can cast whoever you want and have him "act" in way that you could see how he becomes the older Han. Like casting Jake Lloyd then change him to Hayden. As we never saw how Anakin looked then you can suspend your disbelief that Hayden, Jake and Sebastian Shaw are one and the same. The only problem is that I'm not sure I want to see a coming of age story starring Han Solo. Better do a live action Rebels...

CGI could be the way to go. This way you can include any characters (Luke, Leia, etc.) without having to try and find the right casting due to looks. Then you can focus on Voice acting.

24. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I'm not really worried about that, actually. As long as the cast pulls out convincing performances, they'll only have to resemble the original actors (as opposed to being true look-alikes) for us to be able to suspend our disbelief.
    You may not agree, but I think Abrams' Star Trek pulled that off really well (
    even though they take place in an alternate reality that made certain characters become slightly different persons
    ).

My only problem is that I'm just not excited about this at the moment. Maybe there's a bit of Star Wars overload, or maybe my overall enthusiasm has been affected by all the prequel negativity that's flooded the world for the past couple of years.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  25. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    No, I expect it to have a younger Han Solo.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.