main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

And the winner is: The Spike TV Video Game Awards

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Soontir-Fel, Dec 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    The show just started and so far I could kill them. Game of the year I can see Madden 2004 won but DOA:EXBV having better animation then Wind Waker I mean c'mon. And Enter the Matrix beating out KOTOR for game based on a movie. The P.O.D is the only redeming quality of it. Oh and what is the deal all the half nude girls. Not bad in small amounts but it's insane

2. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    are you kidding me? madden is not GOTY. there are MANY better games out there.

POD was crap. the lead singer was at least 2 keys flat at all times.

spike T-crap owes me 2 hours of my life back for that steaming pile of poo.

3. Not_Applicable

Not_Applicable Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Unbelievable that Enter the Matrix won the "best game based on a movie" award. That game got horrible reviews, while both KOTOR and Return of the King have gotten great reviews, KOTOR especially. I didn't think it possible, but the results of this award show are even more asinine than those of the Oscars.

4. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    ETM is a horrible game! its fun for about an hour then gets lame.

here is the complete list of winners:

Best Game - Madden 2004
    Best Animation - DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball
    Best Performance by a Human - GTA Vice City
    Best Game based on a Movie - Enter the Matrix
    Most Addictive Game - Soul Calibur 2 (SOME JUSTICE!!!! YES!!)
    Best Action Game - True Crime: Streets of L.A.
    Best Driving Game - Nascar Thunder 2004
    Best Fantasy Game - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    Best Sports Game - Tony Hawk's Underground
    Best Online Game - Final Fantasy XI
    Best First Person Action - Call of Duty
    Best PC Game - Halo: Combat Evolved
    Best Handheld Game - Splinter Cell
    Best Fighting Game - WWE Smackdown
    Hall of Fame - The Dot from Pong
    Most Anticipated Game - Halo 2
    Best Music in a Video Game - Def Jam Vendetta

funny thing about the best handheld winner, they showed footage from the XBox version of Splinter Cell.

to call that show a farce gives it too much credit.

5. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I guess sound quality doesn't come into play when picking the game of the year. The Madden series is the reason they put a mute button on your remote.

6. obi-wankenobiben

obi-wankenobiben Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    P.O.D. was good!

7. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    these awards were a bunch of crap, spike tv knows nothing about gaming.

8. Not_Applicable

Not_Applicable Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Why do they give an award for the "Most Anticipated Game?"

*sigh* Some things are so ridiculous, they're just not worth criticizing...

9. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    "P.O.D. was good!"

NEIN!!! they are hacks. dude was off key through the whole thing.

10. Theron

Theron Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2000
    The G4TV Glow Awards were better. Although similar in some ways.

11. MasterKingsama

MasterKingsama Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2003
    a couple of brief points...

1. no one should feel that Spike tv owes them 2 hours of their life back. After all you did choose to watch a awards show that was put on by a network who's hallmark is baywatch reruns...

2. KOTOR is not based on a movie, last time i checked there is not Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic movie.

In the end dont trust SPIKE...

12. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    "After all you did choose to watch a awards show that was put on by a network who's hallmark is baywatch reruns..."

true but when you buy a VCR and it doesnt work you return it for a refund right? same thing here.

13. MasterKingsama

Aug 18, 2003
    you could have chose to return it at any point by changing the channel...

14. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    2. KOTOR is not based on a movie, last time i checked there is not Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic movie.

True, there is no KOTOR movie. But everything in EVERY Star Wars game is based on what we've seen in the movies.

And no offense to anyone here, but how did Halo get best PC game? I'm sorry, but I've played it and there's nothing that great about it, IMO. And I would think that most anticipated game would've gone to Half-Life 2 or Doom 3, not Halo 2.

Glad I don't have cable in my room. I didn't lose 2 hours of my life :)

15. MasterKingsama

Aug 18, 2003
    True, there is no KOTOR movie. But everything in EVERY Star Wars game is based on what we've seen in the movies.

yes in a way, but that hardly qualifies it as based on a movie. Maybe based on a book that is based in the universe started by movies, but not based on...

16. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Yeah, and I guess they couldn't give it to ROTK since that movie isn't out yet :p

17. MasterKingsama

Aug 18, 2003
    i have no answer for that one, just plain stupidity i guess...

18. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    "And no offense to anyone here, but how did Halo get best PC game? I'm sorry, but I've played it and there's nothing that great about it, IMO. And I would think that most anticipated game would've gone to Half-Life 2 or Doom 3, not Halo 2."

i'm glad you mentioned that. i find Halo, outside of its graphics, to be amazingly mediocre. i've played though the PC version and am still left wondering what the big deal is. on console i can see the draw. good FPS's are hard to come by. on the PC however there are many excellent FPS games out there that are far superior to Halo.

i too think the most anticipated game in all of gaming is Half-Life 2. Doom 3 being a very close second. when the HL2 source code was "stolen" it made national news.

19. Stormtrooper-dude

Stormtrooper-dude Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 2003
    Half Life 2? Nope. Halo 2 is definitely the most anticipated, since the last one... ahem... RUULLEDD!

20. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Yeah, I could tell the show was going to be a farce and nothing more than a marketing ploy just by going to vote on the games. I didn't bother watching it. *rolls eyes*

21. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I'm just happy that a Final Fantasy game got an award. That is all that I care about. :)

22. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Half Life 2? Nope. Halo 2 is definitely the most anticipated, since the last one... ahem... RUULLEDD!

As has been said previously, it may have ruled on X-Box, but X-Box is not the only system out there. Hence, Halo 2 is only highly anticipated on X-Box. The PC world, which is arguably a larger gaming community, is eagerly awaiting Half-Life 2. As darthgoat mentioned, when the HL2 source code was stolen, it made national news. What does that tell you about the anticipation level for that game?

23. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Enter the Matrix wasn't as bad as the reviews would lead you to think.

Anyway, I'm surprised that Zelda: TWW didn't win anything!!! :eek:

24. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001

Half Life 1 beats out Halo. Really. PC version was nothing special.Juss like lordjedi said,there must be something different about the two versions. The X-box verion did sound really good.
    For the most part I actually found it easy. I had much higher Expectatios for it. Cool game don't get me wrong, but not what I was imagining. No warm tingles for me.

Anyway, I'm surprised that Zelda: TWW didn't win anything!!!

I'm not really.I didn't enjoy that game anywhere near as much as I did OOT or Majora. It was more confusing to me then fun.
    Why would it get best Animation?!

25. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    PC version was nothing special...there must be something different about the two versions.

Actually, I've seen the X-Box version. As far as I can tell, there's nothing different between the PC and X-Box versions. The only reason I can figure why the X-Box version has so much hoopla around it is that it's the first MP FPS on a console. First meaning the first one that could do 4 or more players at a time. That, and I think the graphics do look a lot better then anything on the other consoles. But what do you expect from a nVidia graphics chip :) And with Halo 2, they'll be able to go on X-Box Live and play with up to 16 players. Of course, as I and others have said in other threads, PC gamers have been able to do this for years.

Halo 2 might be great for everyone with an X-Box, but it won't have a fully interactive environment. Half-Life 2 is gonna own in that arena and that is what every PC gamer is waiting for. I'm personally waiting for that and the next Vampire: The Masquerade game since it'll be using the same engine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.