main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indi, IN And then came Gen Con

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Uilmuteiz, Dec 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Yup that's right, I've seen on the Gen Con website today that the next event will take place in Indianapolis.

I was wondering if you guys were going to do something special about it.. might just drop by if you do.. I'm considering it. that or world con... now what might be more fun :D

Special quality time with my indianapolis brothers and sisters of course :)

let me know, i'll drop by.

also if you have any intel on the upcoming guests.

2. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Random personal note: I'd recommend Gen Con (or D*C or SDCC) over WorldCon, depending on what you are looking for.

WorldCon tends to be of a lit con, where as the other three are more media/comic book cons.

~H~

3. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Bob le Sith, mon ami, you are welcome anytime to Indy. It'll be great to see you again Sebastian.

As for IK plans, we haven't really talked a lot about it yet though I'm sure we will be there, either as spectators or helping out. :) We could not ignore such a calling ;) Hope to see you in..what July is it?

4. Jorg_Sacul_from_C2

Jorg_Sacul_from_C2 Jedi Master star 3

May 30, 2002
    And you think they treated volunteers like dirt at CII? Amplify it for GenCon, travelling sideshow for gamers everywhere.

Just my 2 daktaris.

(oh, I'll go, but not as a prolie. Nothing to gain there.)

5. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    sneaking in again from Chicago Force.....

at this time going to Gen Con is still in the "possible" pile....

any details of what goes on from an experienced Gen-con-er would be a great help...

6. Quag_Myr_Rumm

Quag_Myr_Rumm Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    If you're into gaming, it's the place to be. There is a huge dealer room set up. Most of the large companies are there as well as smaller ones. You'll see TSR, FASA, Game Designers Workshop, Ral Partha.

There is also huge gaming areas. You can sign up for any number of campaigns for miniatures, board games, RPG's, Wargames. They have diarama and miniature painting competitions for all levels of ability. They have areas for pick up games. They have a costume competition.

They also have an auction. You can bring in vintage games and such for them to auction off. You pay a fee or percentage to GenCon for your stuff sold. It's a great way to sell items that normally wouldn't sell well on ebay, but would do great with people who can truely appreciate what is being sold. Also, just like ebay, there is always someone willing to buy your "junk".

The key to GenCon is to pre-register well in advanced. Otherwise the wait can be horrible. The registration is usually well done. Gaming events are blocked out in time slots so you can plan your days. Make sure you leave yourself time to go to dealer areas and the auction. It is also a great place to see some of the newest products and gaming systems. I'll probably go to it this year since I don't have to worry about hotel.

George is right. Gen Con is a horrible place to work. The red shirts hate the yellow shirts and so on. There is a pecking order and you get treated like dirt if you're at the bottom. Imagine the ultimate in over-intelligent, socially inept people given authority to boss people around...I guess that would be S.A.O.A.! :)

It's a great convention to visit, but I wouldn't want to work there.

That ends this commercial interruption. Go on about your business. Move along. Move along.

7. Uilmuteiz

Dec 4, 2000
    ok... well thanks you guys, ... mmm I wonder what I'd have to do to have some of you coming up in Toronto for T-Trek :D

8. DarthAcroyear

DarthAcroyear Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2002
    T-Trek was one of the best cons I have ever been to Trek or otherwise. Lots to do, Trek or not, and plenty of free beer and friendly females! It's been about ten years or so since I was there last but Toronto was a great town to party in!

9. Uilmuteiz

Dec 4, 2000
    and still his, :D and still his.. (not taking down indy by any means :) )

10. Jorg_Sacul_from_C2

Jorg_Sacul_from_C2 Jedi Master star 3

May 30, 2002
    I (with no authority) hereby declare Toronto and Indianapolis to be sister cities! Let the games begin!

11. Uilmuteiz

Dec 4, 2000
    Hehehe agreed with you on this one George :)

I'll let them know :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.