...And then Harry Potter and all of his friends burned in hell!! Yeah!!

Discussion in 'Indianapolis, IN' started by The_bald_ewok, Nov 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_bald_ewok Jedi Knight

star 1
    One more thought to chew on...

If I need therapy for hating Harry Potter and Star Trek because of the competition. Would I also need therapy for disliking the Titans, Dolphins and Patriots because they are/have been comp for the colts?
  2. YodaOnMyLeg Jedi Knight

star 3
    Freddy vs Darth Vader!!

I cant wait. It works too, after all Anakin did say he was having nightmares.
  3. Quag_Myr_Rumm Jedi Knight

star 3
    I am a big fan of the Star Trek TV series. Except for the Wrath of Kahn, the movies have just not lived up to the series. Some of them just plain suck. DS9 was great and the final episode was better than most of the Star Trek movies. I love all sorts of Science Fiction and Horror films. Star Wars has been cutting edge in special effects and I think that helped to propel it into the hearts of so many. Although there are many good films other than SW not that many can grab you and hold you the way the first 3 SW films have done. I don't know that there have been many sci fi/horror films that have really grabbed a hold of me in the past decade.

Let's face it, most of the best sci-fi/horror films came out in the late seventies and the eighties.

Star Wars 4, 5, 6
    The Thing
    Alien and Aliens
    Wrath of Kahn
    Indiana Jones 1, 2, 3 (I know, not sci-fi)
    Nightmare on Elm Street 1
    Halloween 1
    Friday the 13th 1
    Hellraiser 1

These were films that pushed our buttons and made our hearts race. Of course it's my opinion. I just haven't been that impressed with movies in the recent days. The one film that stands out would be The Matrix. It had great special fx and a very imaginitive story line. The best of the 90's and a true classic.
  4. Jorg_Sacul_from_C2 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Bald Ewok,

You just don't get it.

Movies aren't something to "root for" like sports teams. They aren't made to have people rally around them to see them beat the competition. At least they shouldn't be. If movies are going to be "let's beat Freddy 76 at the box office, instead of "Here's my story as told in cinematic form", then we have seen the end of film as a contribution to the collective artistic expression of humanity, as well as the death of an entertainment form. Sure, every producer wants their movie to sell a billion tickets, that's why they are producers of movies. The basic tenet must remain, though, that the writer/director/actor combination must gel to tell the story in a way that somehow has an effect on the viewer. If the movie doesn't cause emotions (of any kind) to be stirred, it will fail. Even "Kung Pow", a movie that brutalized, violated, and dry-humped two hours of my life, could be considered a success, just because I hated it so. It evoked emotion.
    Movies that are sequels just because they have a franchise to exploit denegrate the original (most of the horror sequels fall into this category, except ones with Pin Head. Those are art.) Some people rag on Lucas for his movies, but for him it isn't about profit. He's got the money, because of one flukey little film called American Graffiti, to relive his childhood Saturday afternoon serial films, recreated in his own image. He originally wanted to do Flash Gordon films, but the owner of the license wouldn't grant the rights. How different would the film world have been if he HAD done Flash Gordon??? He's said many times that he doesn't care if they don't have mass appeal, he wants to make his films his way. Apparently enough people enjoy his work, because he's still cranking out his private fairy tale, and we still keep on going.
    Now, onto calling Star Trek "junk". I could launch into a diatribe attack on you personally for being so clueless to understanding the basic premise that if it weren't FOR Star Trek in the 60s, there would not have been the creation of the sci-fi fan base that allowed Star Wars to be created in the 70s. Fox executives wouldn't have bankrolled the idea without thinking that "those weird Trekkies" might buy some tickets to a space western.
    I will agree with you that there have been some low moments in the Trek TV franchise. I fully place the blame for that on Rick Berman and Michael Piller. They are the self-appointed heir-apparents to Gene Roddenberry's kingdom. How any episodes with any merit were produced under their $$$$ing mindless leadership still amazes me. But, damnit, they did happen. And, they still do happen on the new Enterprise series.
    Harry Potter strikes a cord with the fans. They, for the most part, read the books long before the movies were thought about. Ok, so Harry whips Jar-Jar's ass at the box office. SO WHAT? In the long run, what does it matter? Do witches spit on you in public because of Harry having a better opening weekend? Do kids in red and gold scarves fly in on brooms and toilet paper your house, to taunt you because of box office receipts? No, they don't. Your hatred of Harry Potter's movie success is a reflection of your fear that someone will deprive you of the "cool factor" of being a Star Wars fan. Well, guess what?

ONLY YOU CAN DO THAT TO YOURSELF.

Not Harry Potter, not Captain Picard, not the whole frozen-for-freshness crew of the Titanic. I was a Star Wars fan from the first time I saw it in May of 1977. I was a Star Wars fan during the late 80s and early 90s when no one talked about it. Why? Because I thought it meant something to me. I had fun with it. That made it cool for me. And it still does.

So, I will end here, having posted possibly the longest post on this board. I hope you got something out of it that will allow you to reconsider your mass-hatred of all things alternative to Star Wars.

5. Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Master

star 4
    Even with all that said, Harry Potter is the only movie where I actually fell asleep in the theater! Long, boring and really hollow... not much to see :)
  6. Jorg_Sacul_from_C2 Jedi Knight

star 3
    HA! I did too... but that was just exhaustion catching up to me. The thing I don't like, or I guess I should say bothers me about Harry Potter is that the first movie didn't stand alone. What I mean is, to get the whole picture(no pun intended)you had to have read the book.

Oh well. I know someone who slept through the midnight showing of Episode II at the premier in Greenwood...
  7. Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Master

star 4
    Tell me about it, I had the same problem, the guy started snoring on top of it!!!
  8. Xizor@TheView TFN Collecting, Former IK President

VIP
    star 3
    OK so let me get this straight.......

Leo is going to be the waterboy for the newest NBA team in London with a line up that reads something like this

C-Darth Vader
    PF-Jason
    SF-Frodo
    Shooting Guard-Neo
    PG-Freddy

Reserves:
    C-Mountain Troll
    Chebacca
    FW-Warf
    Morphius
    Falsh Gordon
    G-Luke Skywalker
    Pin Head

Coached by- Dumbledor (sp)

BTW if Lt Yar had come back in a later episode of TNG and kille dthe blob that killer her, would that episode have been titled

Yar's Revenge?

9. EMERALD_GREENE Jedi Master

star 4
    Methinks someone forgot to take their Prozac before posting ...
  10. The_bald_ewok Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oh Sacul...

First let me state, that you might want to avoid seeing Zanna at the Skeller this friday. She is supposed to play in the bar, and unless you are going to get there early, buy drinks and food, and stay late, it may be a waste of time. Its going to be messy and I dont have a single clue as to how they are going to work this one out!

Now for other business...

Yes, I do get it!

Absolutely you want to pull for a movie to do well. You dont want the competition to do well. Lets face it, Hollywood is a money making business. Thats what it is. Lets not pretend anymore that its an art and the studios/owners are doing just to better themselves and tell a story, because believe me that went out of the window years ago. Its rare, to have an artsy fartsy movie that does both well with critics and makes jack. If it wasnt for the attention of the Special editions, we wouldnt have our beloved prequals. O' Georgie boy found out that there was a fan base out there, and whammo here we are. Now, I do believe to an extent that George did want to finish his story, but I also believe, he wanted to make money from this as well. Otherwise, why risk it and lose money? SO you are asking what does this have to do with HP. Firstly I am glad that you didnt like HP. :) And Harry still sucks... but lets step in the real world. This is once again a business. And like a business you pull for one. Thats the way it works. I love SW as much or more than most people, and I dont want to see that some Lame a$$ attempt by Warner brothers to beat SW. If SW doesnt have that appeal, then the prequals wasnt worth it. Why, because nobody cared. The generation, that is growing up with the prequals will be more into HP. Its all about longevity. Because, if you do have that emotion tied in to a movie, like you would a car, sports team, or friend, you want it to succeed. You want to be a part of that, and you dont want to see bad things happen to it. So what can I do, nothing much. Just continue to bash HP and hope that my daughter enjoys SW as much as I did. Also, one thing, Star Trek, wasnt a break out hit that revolutionized everything. It wasnt even popular at the time it was orginally aired. It only hit a chord when it made it to reruns. Like Batman and Robin!!
    Anyways, that the business end!
  11. The_bald_ewok Jedi Knight

star 1
    Good news and bad news...

Bad news, HP has beaten AOTC record

Good news, Good ole bond took #1 this weekend!! Woo hoo go bond go
  12. whojedi Jedi Master

star 3
    Bond kicks arse...always has, always will...

Nothing else really matter...'til 2005!
  13. Jorg_Sacul_from_C2 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Bond slapped little Harry around this weekend, to the tune of $5 million bucks. That to me is cool.

I know that Hollywood is chock full of money-grubbing sob's who only want to make a bazillion dollars for no output. But, I still think that there are big name directors out there who make films because that is their art, not just to put more Porches in their garage. And, I would bet that I could find an actor or two who isn't only chasing the big payoff. You know the movies when you see them. You can see it in the quality, or at least in the artistic chances that are taken.

Don't be so cynical. It will make your hair fall out. ;)
  14. Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA•

star 6
    "Bond kicks arse...always has, always will..."

*coughtimothydaltonsuckedcoughcough*

Sorry, I should clear my throat before posting.
  15. DroidboyB9 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Too bad the best Bond only did one movie.

Gregg
  16. Hoot Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ewok, FINALLY someone that agrees with me. You're talking about George Lazenby in On Her Majesty's Secret Service, right?

.. oh, yeah. Hi guys, I'm back ^_^

And Timothy Dalton didn't suck. o_O
  17. Xizor@TheView TFN Collecting, Former IK President

VIP
    star 3
    IF they aren't in it for the money, I want to see an actor TURN DOWN the 20 mill big studio onmey and still do the picture.

Yes some real actors do indy films for next to mothing for the "art", but eventually tehey return to the scene of the crime and can't help but take the big studio money.

I think that actors(as well as sports figures, but that's a WHORE other story) should refund the studio's money when the film doesn't make enough money to cover thier salery.

oh an apparently Hoot has NEVER seen a TD Bond movie. Much as I like the Bond movies, THose are the only ones that I can actually fall asleep to.
  18. Jorg_Sacul_from_C2 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I wish we had 20 Star Wars films to rag on!
  19. Hoot Jedi Knight

star 1
    For the record..

TD did two.

One of those two was good. Yes, the other put me to sleep.

The one that was good was "The Living Daylights".
  20. RavingMad Jedi Knight

star 1
    I would be surprised to see a discussion this involved and self-aware on any Harry Potter boards. That's good enough for me.
  21. Jorg_Sacul_from_C2 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Harry Potter is no Star Wars. I refer to THE Star Wars of 1977. The movie that turned the world on it's collective ear as to what science-fiction/fantasy movies should be like, the movie that raised the bar. The movie that gave us Alien, E.T., Close Encounters, Jurassic Park, Titanic, and yes, gave Paramount enough corporate greed to resurrect Star Trek.

Other than put "Muggle" into the dictionary, the only thing of lasting impact that has come from Harry Potter is that it has gotten kids to read books, and discover the joy that brings.

I don't denegrate HP for being IMHO just a well-dressed fantasy movie. We need quality shows. And, it keeps our pals in the special effects business dreaming up new things. Most of the folks doing sfx now are children of Star Wars. If it weren't for John Dykstra and his original staff, we wouldn't have the quality of artists making our movies so real and pretty.

Star Wars (episode IV) rules. There is no phenomenon that on so many levels has caught the imagination of millions, influenced movies and what we demand from them.

...but I still love my Bond films. Even bad Bond films!
  22. sidra Jedi Knight

star 2
    Wow... I feel a bit outside on this one. I like Harry Potter, Star Trek (mostly), Star Wars, and Lord of the Rings. The only films I don't like are the ones you guys love... Spiderman (boring) and Bond. I think Bond films lack enough complexity to be good spy movies. Anyway... Just my 2 cents.
  23. Xizor@TheView TFN Collecting, Former IK President

VIP
    star 3
    BTW can some one point me in trhe direction of the Krull boards?
  24. Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA•

star 6
    It's over between the "Labyrinth" & "Legend" boards...go over to the "Hawk the Slayer" forums and take a left...if you get to the Willow Fan Club page, you've gone too far.
  25. Quag_Myr_Rumm Jedi Knight

star 3
    KRULL! Please tell me you're kidding. One thing that I noticed about that film was that every journey or task they had to undertake, was a "long and dangerous journey." I got so tired of hearing them say it. I laughed really hard at that film because they were actually trying to be serious about the whole thing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.