main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC And then the murders began

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Mar 3, 2017.

1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Marc Laidlaw has a new rule of thumb for novels:

https://twitter.com/marc_laidlaw/status/837537399416610818

This has been officially christened as "Laidlaw's law" by none other than Neil Gaiman who submitted this:

"No one who had ever seen Catherine Morland in her infancy would have supposed her born to be an heroine. And then the murders began."

Other good ones from Twitter:

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. And then the murders began."

"Marley was dead, to begin with. And then the murders began."

"Mrs Dalloway said she would buy the flowers herself. And then the murders began."

"Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy. And then the murders began."

I assume you all have some good ones as well.

True Sith, Sarge, Mar17swgirl and 4 others like this.
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    “The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel. And then the murders began."

Rylo Ken likes this.
  3. yeurgh

yeurgh Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2016
    Let's try pairing it with one of the best opening sentences out there:

'It was the afternoon of my eighty-first birthday, and I was in bed with my catamite when Ali announced that the archbishop had come to see me. And then the murders began.'

MrZAP and Ender Sai like this.
  4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed. And then the murders began. - The Dark Tower

I scowl with frustration at myself in the mirror. And then the murders began. - Fifty Shades of Grey

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. And then the murders began - The Hobbit

12th June 1942: I hope I will be able to confide everything to you, as I have never been able to confide in anyone, and I hope you will be a great source of comfort and support. And then the murders began. - The Diary of a Young Girl

Every Who down in Whoville liked Christmas a lot...but the Grinch, who lived just north of Whoville, did NOT! And then the murders began. - How The Grinch Stole Christmas

5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    There was no hope for him this time: it was the third stroke. And then the murders began. - The Dubliners

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since. And then the murders began. - The Great Gatsby

In the shade of the house, in the sunshine of the riverbank near the boats, in the shade of the Sal-wood forest, in the shade of the fig tree is where Siddhartha grew up, the handsome son of the Brahman, the young falcon, together with his friend Govinda, son of a Brahman. And then the murders began. - Siddhartha

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four
    days now without taking a fish. And then the murders began. - The Old Man and the Sea

Sarge and Diggy like this.
  6. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    MS regretted the creation of a new Coruscant-hosted Sleepy game. And then the murders began.

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    It was love at first sight. And then the murders began.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way—in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only. And then the murders began.

9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    not for the first time, an argument had broken out over breakfast at number four, privet drive. and then the murders began.

10. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton. And then the murders began.

11. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016
    Oooh, Metamorphosis has a good opening sentence, too:

'As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect. And then the murders began.'

12. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    It was in Warwick Castle that I came across the curious stranger whom I am going to talk about. And then the murders began.

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    in a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. and then the murders began.

Ender Sai and PCCViking like this.
  14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. And then the murders began.

15. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016
    Works ok with the opening of Part 2 of Goethe's Faust, too:

'When the springtime blossoms, falling,

Shower down, and cover all things,

When the fields with greener blessing

Dazzle all the world of earthlings,

Little elves, but great in spirit,

Haste to help, where help they can,

And, be he holy, be he wicked,

Pity they the luckless man.

And then the murders began...'

16. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    On August 16, 1968, I was handed a book written by a certain Abbe Vallet, Le Manuscrit de Dom Adson de Melk, traduit en francais d'apres l'edition de Dom J. Mabillon (Aux Presses de l'Abbaye de la Source, Paris, 1842). And then the murders began.

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    we were somewhere around barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. and then the murders began.

18. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    "Where's Papa going with that axe?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast. And then the murders began. (Charlotte's Web)

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The sweat wis lashing oafay Sick Boy; he wis trembling. And then the murders began. - Trainspotting

Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and razor lay crossed. And then the murders began. - Ulysses

Tyler gets me a job as a waiter, after that Tyler's pushing a gun in my mouth and saying, the first step to eternal life is you have to die. And then the murders began.- Fight Club

The small boys came early to the hanging. And then the murders began. - The Pillars of the Earth.

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful. And then the murders began. - Qur'an

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  20. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    We were in class when the head-master came in, followed by a “new fellow,” not wearing the school uniform, and a school servant carrying a large desk. And then the murders began.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank, and of having nothing to do: once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversations in it, "and what is the use of a book," thought alice 'without pictures or conversation?'" and then the murders began.

Sarge likes this.
  22. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head, behind Christopher Robin. And then the murders began.

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    chug, chug, chug. and then the murders began.

(the little engine that could)

24. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Dorothy lived in the midst of the great Kansas prairies, with Uncle Henry, who was a farmer, and Aunt Em, who was the farmer's wife. And then the murders began.

Darth Valkyrus likes this.
  25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The Time Traveller (or so it will be convenient to speak of him) was expounding a recondite matter to us. And then the murders began.

Darth Valkyrus likes this.