main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends And then there were None (Written for the Drabble Challenge) Updated 7-20

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Killik_Twilight, Jul 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    Title: And then there were None
    Author(s): Killik_Twilight
    Timeframe: 4 ABY to 15 ABY
    Characters: Various
    Genre: drabble
    Keywords: drabble
    Summary: Various times in the history of the last Grand Admiral
    Notes: Started for the Drabble Challenge

This week's character: Grand Admiral Thrawn.

Beginnings

He sits in his command center deep in the Unknown Regions. All has finally been secured, at least for a while.

He takes a breath and contacts Coruscant for further orders. After waiting for several days, with no word, he abandons his forces on the world and heads back to the Empire proper, certain that some disaster has happened.

One that he will have to fix.

He will have to find a captain he can trust, as well. Calling up a list of possible command officers, his eyes fall on one name in particular.

Captain Pellaeon, commander of the Chimaera.

Middles

He watches as the Empire?s forces continue sweeping across the galaxy. In less than a year the men he leads have been revitalized into the fighting machine they once were, before the Emperor died ? before that black day at Endor. And the man ? rather, the alien ? who is responsible for this transformation stands in front of him. It is strange, seeing an alien lead the Empire to conquest after conquest, but there is no denying his genius. But he does not have much time for deliberation ? history is on the move, and the Grand Admiral will not wait for anyone.

Ends

The ships under his command maneuvered into position ? the Interdictors, Star Destroyers, and Dreadnaughts all around him. Over a hundred vessels waited to spring this ambush on the Rebellion ? an ambush they would neither expect or be able to handle.

The fist comes out of nowhere , hitting him in the throat, stunning him. As he gasps for breath, he looks over to the Grand Admiral, seeing the red stain in the middle of his pristine uniform. And the last words of the man who could?ve saved the Empire wash over him: ?But, it was so artistically done.?

And he weeps.

First

The man with the money and the influence approaches him with an unusual offer. He is being asked to impersonate a man who has been dead for ten years ? who threatened the stability of the entire galaxy during his time. His friends stand around him, shocked that one of the nobility would stoop so low as to call on one of the fringe to complete a ruse, and warn him away. He pushes them back roughly, dreams of glory and fame in his eyes. And he accepts the man?s offer, going away to join those who once hunted his kind.

Last

The ships under his command were fighting for a lost cause ? the Empire was back to eight sectors. If it weren?t for the character he played, they would have no hope at all ? no hope, and, he reflected distantly, more of them would be alive. The real Thrawn wouldn?t have spent lives for a cause they did not believe in ? this mockery of his character was, in the end, for nothing. For a sham of a man, who lived a sham of a life, for a sham of a cause.

It would be one hell of a way to die.

[fin]

KT

2. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    Bravo, KT! I especially loved the shifting POVs picking up the storyline. From the beginning to the -well, not quite the end with Thrawn. Never quite the end. His legacy lives on in incredible ways.

=D=

Zonoma

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    VERY well done! =D= My favorite one was the last one. :D

4. Killik_Twilight

Apr 6, 2005
    Thanks, Z! Yeah, I would've done them all from the POV of someone looking on, but the first one woulda been kinda hard. ;) Though now that I think of it there's probably a way that could be done?

Thank you!

Thanks Mama Vader! That one was my favorite too. :D

KT

5. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Thrawn! :cool: I love how you moved the story along through Thrawn, then Pellaeon, then ending with Thrawn (does a clone count? :p ). Can't wait to see next week's set! :D

6. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    Really enjoyed these. :) "Last" was definitely my favorite -- it feels very cynical and hopeless, but that fits. :)

7. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I really liked the shifting POV's.

You did a great job capturing each of the characters.

Great response to the challenge

=D= =D= =D= =D=

8. Killik_Twilight

Apr 6, 2005
    Thanks. :) However, that's not a clone of Thrawn, that's Flim. ;)

Thank you! Yes, 'Last' is rather cynical, but when you've got a man from the Fringe, it's quite hard not to be.

:)

Thanks, KELIA.

KT

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Wonderful response to the first week. LIke other's I enjoyed how the POV shifted and we saw more than one telling.

10. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Thrawn?!=D= How marvelous KT!=D=

You did so great with him. I love drabbles.

After waiting for several days, with no word, he abandons his forces on the world and heads back to the Empire proper, certain that some disaster has happened.

One that he will have to fix.

Feeling a little superior aren't we Thrawn? Well, I would too if I worked with the bumbleheads that were the Empire.

I have to say that this was my favorite line: history is on the move, and the Grand Admiral will not wait for anyone.

You should write a vignette or short story around that line. It's a great line.

11. jaynasolofel

jaynasolofel Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2003
    Ooooo, Thrawn, cool! Killik_Twilight, these are great! I like that you included Thrawn's impersonator and his disgust at his own performance, as well as, the POV of weeping for Thrawn.

'night
    JaYna

12. Killik_Twilight

Apr 6, 2005
    Thank you! I'm hoping to eventually finish the second week. ;)

Thanks. :)

Aw, thanks Lola! I only started writing drabbles a little while ago so I'm glad you like them.

Hehe, yes. Most of the Imperials were bumbleheads. ;)

Heh ? well, actually, I based that off of a line Zahn uses in TTT ? can't remember it exactly offhand, but it's very similar to that.

I might. We'll see. ;)

Heh, Thrawn's one of my favorite characters, and the week's challenge just fit him so? precisely. :D

Yup. Couldn't leave good 'ole Flim out, now could we? :)

Thanks for reading!

KT

13. Mathom

Mathom Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 24, 2006
    Ah, the epic story of Thrawn condensed into a mere 500 words. My favorite was Ends.

And the last words of the man who could?ve saved the Empire wash over him: ?But, it was so artistically done.?

And he weeps.

Such beautiful writing.

All your drabbles were so very well done, I can't wait until the next set. :)

14. jaina_clan_solo

jaina_clan_solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    Nice job catching the variety of views on Thrawn, and the 'memory' of Thrawn's genious.

jcs

15. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Hey when are ya putting up week two? Very nice Pelly drabbles. I can definitely identify with this old man.

16. Killik_Twilight

Apr 6, 2005
    Thanks! Yes, I loved that line from TLC and just had to use it. :)

:D Well, hopefully I'll have 'em up soon. It's very slow working on them. ;)

Thanks! He's one of my favorite characters to read about ? and sometimes write about, too. :)

Week Two? Um? hopefully before the Week Three one goes up. ;) LOL. Um, I'm working on them, so hopefully in a day or two.

Thanks for reading!

KT

17. IrishEyedJedi

IrishEyedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 24, 2005

Though I don't know the EU very well, I can still compliment you on wonderfully written drabble. Like everyone else the switching POV's was perfect.

18. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Great job! I love how you did them about Thrawn. He's such an interesting character.

19. Killik_Twilight

Apr 6, 2005
    Heh, no worries. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks! :)

Thank you! And yes, he definitely is. :D

20. Killik_Twilight

Apr 6, 2005
    Here's Week Two's! I hope you enjoy them, and thanks for reading.

Hours

Jag had only met her hours previously. Yet somehow she still occupied his mind? he caught himself daydreaming about her, and Jagged Fel emphatically did not daydream. Not only that, but they'd practically just met, and he wasn't the type to fall head over heels for someone he'd known for less than a day.

Only a Solo, he reflected, and Jag grinned. She'd made enough of an impression on him, as he read the files the Imperial Remnant had on her, that he'd ignored the head of the New Republic to speak to her. Oh, how interesting that had been?

Days

The days passed quickly - battle after battle after battle as Jag and his Chiss subordinates battled alongside Jaina and the Rogues against the invading Yuuzhan Vong. He looked forward to seeing her every time they got together ? her smile, the way her eyes would light up when she caught sight of him. They sparred constantly ? in the simulators, on the mat ? and Jag was rapidly discovering how well-matched they were. He was the better pilot, but she was more skilled at hand-to-hand. He was collected, quiet ? she was brash and outspoken.

It was as if the Force brought them together.

Weeks

Weeks had passed since Jag had last seen Jaina. She had been wounded defending Kalarba ? and shipped off somewhere to recuperate. The Republic authorities wouldn't tell him where ? they didn't trust someone from the Unknown Regions. He'd fumed and called in every favor he knew he had, but to no avail: he was stymied at every turn.

What was it with this Republic? Jag was no security threat ? he'd spent a considerable amount of time defending them.

Wherever she was, Jag hoped she was all right. If something had happened to her? Jag felt sick merely thinking about it.

Ktah

Months

They hadn?t seen each other in months ? Jag had been stationed off the Hydian Way, clearing out mines and skips, while she had been on Mon Calamari doing Jedi business. Their reunion after the Battle of Ebaq was a matter of getting what both could? Jaina?s touch showed the desperation in her heart, that was slowly ebbing away. Even with such a victory, the Yuuzhan Vong were still powerful and the toll in lives would be great.

Would one of those lives be hers?

Would one of those lives be his?

It was questions like this that drove them together.

Years

It had been five long years since he'd last seen Jaina Solo.

Five years, knowing she had rejected him, spurning his offer to go to Csilla and meet his family.

Now she was here?

Jag wasn't sure what hurt worse ? seeing her once again, or the knowledge that she was mind-melded with that other Jedi ? Zekk. The name tasted like ashes on Jag's tongue, and he grimaced.

Not only that? but she was fighting against his people. His ideals.

His family.

He couldn't bring himself to kill her?

?and he didn?t know if she could still say that for him.

KT

21. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    those were great KT!!!

You've caught their relationship wonderfully, the daydreams, the desperation, the need, and ultimately the feelings of abandonment and betrayal...

Really great job KT!

22. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awww...they started out so sweet.

Poor Jag never knew what hit him after meeting Jaina. :p

and ended so sadly

Great job on week 2!

=D= =D= =D= =D=

23. Mathom

Mathom Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 24, 2006
    Great Drabbles! I [face_love] Jag! I liked how you showed their attraction and relationship from the very beginning (with Jag becomming facinated with her from intellegence reports) to the end, when they're forced to go to war against each other. You could really feel how much they depended on and needed each other. My favorite of the group was Years. It was such an emotional piece, you could really feel how betrayed Jag felt by Jaina's actions.

It was as if the Force brought them together.

And we all know it will do so again (or at least that's what I delude myself into thinking ;)).

=D= Good work!

24. Jessoass

Jessoass Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2005
    Good Job KT!!!

Jess

25. Killik_Twilight

Apr 6, 2005
    Thanks! And yes, they certainly had a pattern? too bad so far it's one of sadness. :(

Hehe, yes.

Hahahahahahahahahaha. :p Indeed he didn't. ;)

Yeah. :(

Thanks!

Jag's another one of my favorite characters ? excellent pilot, related to Wedge, etc. As for the intel reports, Jag may have seen something more than just an excellent pilot and Jedi? ;)

Yeah.

Hehe. I hope they get back together too, but we'll see. :)

Thanks Jess. :)

KT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.