main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

And There Were 'Ships...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Smuggler_Shidakis, Dec 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    Okay, we know that nearly everyone's got a side: J/J, K/J, J/Z, or somewhere in between. And we know that sometimes, people are prone to getting a little nasty about the different 'ships.

The purpose of this thread: Why do you like your favorite ship? Is it because Kyp is so vapin' cool? Or maybe because Zekk was Jaina's childhood sweetheart? Perhaps because Jag is her boyfriend in canon?

State your opinion, and please, be nice about it.

2. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    I am a both/er! (Both K/J and J/J) :p (Generally meaning K/J in fanfic and J/J in profic...)

In other words, I'm a traitor. [face_plain]

3. Smuggler_Shidakis

Jul 26, 2004
    I couldn't be prouder of you, Sarah. [:D]

I love K/J, because I think Kyp and Jaina are both very similar in personality, and also because they have a good, solid relationship in canon. It is sort of reminiscent of H/L, also, which might have influenced me.

4. flowerbee

Apr 29, 2004
    *points up at Gina* Be wary of her!

I think you're right. They go very well together...and that hint of darkness between them always makes it interesting.

EDIT- *looks at Gina's sig* :eek:

5. Smuggler_Shidakis

Jul 26, 2004
    Yeah. If it wasn't for DJ I might not have become a K/J shipper, it was the first of the NJO I read, and Kyp saving Jaina from the Dark Side really hooked me.

EDIT: [face_devil]

6. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    The first EU novels I read were the YJK, and I despise the NJO...

Jag's an imperfect clone of Zekk and Kyp is wwwaaayyy too old for Jaina.

7. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Not going to turn this into a debate, but felt I should point out that the age difference between Kyp and Jaina is only three years more than the age difference between Han and Leia.

Dana

8. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Yeah, but Kyp probably babysat Jaina.

It just feels wrong.

9. Smuggler_Shidakis

Jul 26, 2004
    A good point, Dana.

I also thought Zekk was more of a slightly different Kyp. Both had difficult childhoods, went to the Dark Side, came back, are good pilots, are in love with Jaina Solo. Plus they have black hair and green eyes.

10. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003

It's just...Zekk has a heck of a lot more going on for him than Jag. Jag was created for, it seems to me at least, the sole purpose of being Jaina's boyfriend.

Zekk had a lot more going on for him than that.

He also had a personality...

11. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Personally, I really hate Jaina/Zekk, no offense to any J/Z peoples here and not a word from the peanut gallery about Someone's Gonna Say I Do, because that so does not count!

As a recent K/J convert from J/J, I can see good things about both pairings. [dang it, and when I go to type them, my brain goes dead on me, grrr...]

But anyways, I like K/J because Kyp was there for Jaina when she went to the Dark Side in DJ and he seems to go better with her than Jag does.

:Targeter: Swimmers do it in the pool:

12. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    okay, hold on, no more comments about the age difference between kyp and jaina, please. That's not nice and we were asked to be nice in this thread. And besides, Dana has a good point about H/L and K/J comparisons.

Anyway, the reasons I like J/J:

They seem like compatible opposites, feisty and reserved sides of the same coin.
    He can be reassuring.
    He can have the occasional sense of humor.
    Despite her pushing him away or being slightly weird sometimes, he really does care about her.

Why I like K/J:
    Scene from TUF when she runs into Jag while her parents are MIA at Caluula and he says "don't worry, don't bother me," and then she runs into Kyp and he gives her a big hug and shares her fears.
    Compatible senses of humor.
    Both have overcome their personal darkness, her with his help.
    Finally, a guy who's the same emotional age as his girlfriend. ;)
    When it comes to the billion single guys in the NJO with black hair and green eyes, I prefer a Jedi Master.

13. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    None taken, Targeter. To each their own and all that.

I guess I'm a bit sensitive about that sort of thing is all.

14. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    K/J definitely. I went from H/L to K/J, so I guess I could call K/J the new H/L but with a slightly different dynamic ;). Kyp and Jaina have the same personality, interests, and sense of humour. They go together well and they always produce excellent dialogue. And I love writing banter.

I don?t mind Jag in non-J/J fics, though.

Ams [face_love]

15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Good points, Padawan.

16. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Finally, a guy who's the same emotional age as his girlfriend. wink

ROFLOL!!!

Like I say, subtract the eight years he was in Kessel as somewhat non-developmental ;) and it makes him six years older. :p

Dana

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL, yeah, something like that. :)

18. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Trickster_Jaina_Fel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2002
    Hm...

Well, it's pretty well known (*despite* my sn) that I'm a J/Z fan, and that most of my fics follow that pattern. Personally, I enjoy the history they have, and that romance isn't the only thing to their relationship--they also have friendship, so even if they don't get together (which, I admit, is very likely in canon), they'll still have that connection.

But I also enjoy (and write, a little) K/J, and that's for different reasons--my fondness for this pairing is a little more from an author's POV than a reader's...but, well, it's Kyp and Jaina...and all their similarities, darkness, shared understanding, and sarcasm, and it's fire, passion, and not always the best thing for them, if you look at it from a certain view.

Lastly...J/J. Okay, so, a year ago I was all for this pairing. But now? Well, I don't hate Jag the way I did right after I switched to J/Z, but I still don't have a lot of love for Mr. Chiss. I can read J/J, and I've even written a (very) little of it, but at the end of the day...I'll take seeing him apart Jaina, and being fleshed out into a real character, rather than a love interest.

~TJF

19. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Exactly, Erin.

Jag just...doesn't work for me, even less than Kyp and Jaina.

I've read some K/J fics, most notably by JainaDurron, and it's not too bad. Jag...is a gary stu.

20. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    I suppose I don't really care who Jaina's love interest happens to be...

They're still going to be killed in my stories ;)

I kinda like having Kyp forever vexed by this woman he can never have. It adds another dimension to his character.

21. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    I don't know, I guess I just don't see J/J working for long, not after the war. That's from everything I read in TUF, and how they got together in the first place on Borleias.

I think I prefer K/J because I can see it working after NJO -- they're best friends because of their similarities and shared experiences and so on, and they have far more in common than just "we're pilots fighting a war."

Course, J/Z has its appeal too. Though, I figure they're friends like brother/sister rather than any serious attraction. Still, J/Z in post-NJO would be much preferable to J/J. :p

22. Smuggler_Shidakis

Jul 26, 2004
    As has already been stated in here, Jag is one dimensional, because his only side is as Jaina's boyfriend. I like to see Jag in fanfic when the authors give him more depth, because he seems more real that way.

I used to be a J/Zer. A LONG time ago, before I read the NJO. The main thing I have against Zekk is the way he all-out abandoned her in DJ, when she was slipping and he did nothing to help.

23. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    From what I remember, she sorta pushed him away too.

24. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    While a ten year difference between a 15 year old and a 25 year old is a huge thing, that same ten years isn't really all that important between a 30 and 40 year old.

I prefer Kyp with Jaina to Jag, they just seem a better fit. I think Jag would eventually resent the demands that being a Jedi would put on Jaina's life. But I have to say that I am not sure that Jaina will ever have a husband and family. I think she may end up being more married to the Jedi than to a person.

I hope not, but...

25. flowerbee

Apr 29, 2004
    My problem with Zekk...there are too many. I first read him in SbS, I was thinking, "What a jerk"

When I finally got around to reading YJK, his character there was better but I just don't think they go well together. It was a little teenaged crush at it's height, after all. [face_plain] (No offense to J/Zers)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.