main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA And They Call Us Geeks!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Clawdite_Daisy, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clawdite_Daisy

Clawdite_Daisy Jedi Master star 2

Apr 4, 2003
    Fans of the Twilight Saga are now lining up to see New Moon. At least when Star Wars Fans lined up they did it for charity. Are any of these "Twilighters" doing this. If not, then Star Wars Fans now have someone to look down upon. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

2. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    Well, I wouldn't say I look down on them...not in public anyway. The Twilight phenomenon seems more teeny bopperish than geeky. I don't remember hearing any of them look down on Star Wars fans.

Are you going to see the movie? The last one was so bad, I don't know about this one.

3. GFORCE13

GFORCE13 Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Well I'm not LiningUp. Net yet, still waiting for Hell to Freeze over, hmmmm don't know when that will actually happen????[face_thinking] But in the spirit of Lining Up cooperation I say let them, hey everybody has passions let them endulge Theirs !!![face_peace]

4. SoccerRyot

SoccerRyot Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2007
    I can't look down on them. I love their enthusiasm for it. And I don't recall having spoken with any of them who look down on other fandoms, either. (While there may be some out there who do, I haven't met them yet.)

The only people I have heard say derrogatory comments are people who aren't really into any scenes/fandom.

5. Varekei

Dec 5, 2005
    Nah, everyone's into something dumb! I know I've told the story about my cousin and her line dancing, football watching, woo woo shouting buddies. They used to get dressed in their urban cowboy costumes (as opposed to Jedi Robes), get together at the bar and watch a football game and whenever their team scored a down they would shout "woo! woo!" and do shots. But, that's not geeky. Right. LOLOL

6. Clawdite_Daisy

Clawdite_Daisy Jedi Master star 2

Apr 4, 2003
    Geekdom comes in all genres. There are Square Dancing Geeks, Polka Geeks, Chess Geeks, Sports Geeks who paint their bodies with the team colors or wear things on their heads like cheese, those people who camp out when a popular band is on the Tonight Show, and there's even 99 Cents Only Stores Geeks. These are the people who camp out before a store opening to buy the TV for 99 cents. I do admit, I did actually contemplate that one.
    We as Star Wars Fans should be proud because we get much better press than the Twilighters do. I just think for the next Twilight, these fans should follow the example of LiningUp.net and form a line for charity. Since the fans are mostly teens and the movie is about teenagers with emotional and supernatural problems, a good charity could be My Friends Place or Covenant House. These places offer shelter and counseling for runaway kids.

As far as me going to see it, I promised April and my mom I would take them. There is one thing that caught my eye about the movie. The vintage looking taffeta dress like the one Bella wears in the movie is being sold at Hot Topic and Torrid. They actually sell it in my size and I want to buy it. It would work well with a black cardigan and I can wear it to my other geeky endeavor of Vintage 1930's and 40's cosplaying at Club Cicada. Anyone want to join me? I've bumped into a lot of other Star Wars fans there too like Slave Leia Christie and the guy who takes the photos for the 501st. He has a great WW2 military uniform.

7. Varekei

Dec 5, 2005
    The vintage club sounds like great fun. Maybe when I have more $$$.

Yes, lots of Star Wars fan groups do stuff for charity, which makes us more than mere geeks, I completely agree. Huzzah for us collectively! Now the group I used to game with & could barely talk about anything that didn't have to do with video, miniature, or role playing games and, as far as I know, never did anything for anybody except themselves (& maybe their families if they couldn't get out of it.)& all live with their parents or grandparents...perfect geek cliches in so many ways...THOSE are definitely mere geeks.

Back to Twilight (and Vampire Diaries, too.) Did it ever occur to anybody else that, no matter how old they look, Edward and the other Vampire heros in these teen romances are actually senior citizens chasing after underage school girls?! Can we say Pedophile, boys and girls?

8. SoccerRyot

SoccerRyot Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2007
    Yes, it crossed my mind, back in the 1990's when Buffy hooked up with the 240+ year old vampire named Angel. And I got over it right quick.

9. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I'm also not going to expect a mostly teen crowd to organize much. Star Wars had the benefit of having an older audience that formed the core of the hard core people lining up that were in their 20s and so you could plan a lot more. When people under 18 are involved, its a lot trickier legally speaking.

Let em do their thing. Doesn't do me any harm. Though I've also always said that I don't see any difference between tailgating and lining up for a movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.