main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT And we wonder why the acting in the prequels were so bad... Interview with Terence Stamp.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Avnar, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Unfortunately, there is a tendency in people to only hear/read what they want to hear/read.

Look at this:
    Portman: It was really wonderful. George really has this vision and that's the most important thing for a film - to have a director who knows what he wants his film to be. The film is just amazing looking and has such a great story. It really captures your attention the entire time. He has a really clear idea about what he wants and that's what matters.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_1970000/newsid_1977700/1977797.stm
    Now we know why the acting was SO GOOD...yipee! It's an easy world then.

So here you go:
    So tell me, where is the correlation between lightsaber fights and CGI? Or even acting? Huh?

Believe it or not, but CG animation is just as much acting for Lucas as puppetry or human acting.
    Lucas: Acting is acting, whether it's a human actor, a CG character, or a puppet. It's all the same. Most people think of Yoda as being real, because he is the height of puppet artistry. After Frank Oz did Empire, I tried to get him nominated for an Academy Award; but we heard back that puppetry wasn't an art. I think it is an art - and Yoda represents the highest level of that art
    By the way: I think he is right.

?

Andy Wylde and Alexrd like this.
  2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Indeed. Portman, Neeson, McDiarmid, Lee, Smits, Morrison, Christensen, Jackson, etc, all gave positive feedback. Even Ewan didn't complain against the experience. He merely said acting against bluescreen was hard, but then again, having an imagination is part of an actor's job.

Andy Wylde and SlashMan like this.
  3. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    Terrance Stamp is a good actor, I think the real issue was with the whole green /blue screen studio. Many actors complain because they are to trust the director, in this case George Lucas had an idea but no one was able to see it until the final print was made.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Terrance Stamp is a stage actor mostly. He was also the single best thing about Superman II.

Vthuil likes this.
  5. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Wasn't Alec Guinness' attitude somewhat similar? Then again, Stamp didn't have much screen time. Bob Hoskins had to spend a great deal of time talking to air while filming "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" Even Samuel Jackson had to spend a great deal of time talking to air in scenes featuring Mace and Yoda. Then again, they had larger roles. Jackson once commented that his experiences in shooting the STAR WARS films reminded him of his childhood when he had his "imaginary" friends.

However, I don't see how Stamp's interview was an example of why the acting in the PT was "bad". And I don't agree with the assessment that the PT had "bad writing".

Andy Wylde likes this.
  6. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    [​IMG]
    No love for Non? lol

Yunners likes this.
  7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    So I guess the lesson here is to not cast actors who are more concerned about meeting Natalie Portman and complaining about travel than doing their job!!!

8. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Very good (and amusing) point!

That said I have a feeling GL would be a pain in the ass to be around. I've seen footage of him telling actors how to act, and it makes me cringe.

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I haven't. What I've seen is Lucas directing actors. Not telling them how to act.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Wasn't there a quote not long ago from Ian McKellan, just about breaking down in tears from his frustration on the LOTR and Hobbit films, where due to most of his co-stars being halflings he was spending the vast majority of his time on set interacting not with the performers themselves, but their scale double stand-ins, or even just ping-pong balls on sticks? That's what making these movies are like. It isn't Lucas' fault any more than it is Peter Jackson's.

Anyway. Terrence Stamp always seemed a really odd fit for Star Wars anyway. He's fantastic in things like The Limey, though.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's a really terrible movie in all honesty, and no I have not yet seen the Donner cut.

12. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I know you're joking and all, but nowhere in Terence Stamp's statement are his opinions of the film mentioned. He was merely talking about his experiences working under George Lucas. This is the director we're talking about, not critical reviews of the film.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  13. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Exactly. I don't know, it was just a little too much. I enjoyed the fights, but there was a lack of focus on acting.

14. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I have love for that chest hair.

Great to see Henry Cavill carrying the chest hair mantle into "Man Of Steel", BTW.

Anyway, I think Terence Stamp is just ticked there wasn't enough drag.

A man's gotta have some drag. And if you're Terence Stamp, it's the law!

But no, ping pong balls. Just... ping pong balls.

Padmes_love_slave24 likes this.
  15. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    How many people were nominated for oscars then? Yeah I thought so...

You are so biased it's not even funny. I usually don't read your posts. You think Hayden and Jake were great too I suppose... *shakes head*

I don't mean that as an insult to you, it's just that you love these films so much you would defend things about them that are pointless... Eg "No I don't believe there was too much cgi -it was the perfect amount!!!"

16. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Really?? Wrong.

17. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    The performance of the actors in the prequel series has been one of the more consistent criticisms of the PT since their release.

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Are you implying that those who aren't nominated for oscars are bad actors or gave bad performances? Try again.

By biased you mean, with an opposite opinion than yours?

Sure...

Even if I did, are you implying that those who have that opinion are wrong, or that it's less valid than yours?

Same with the OT.

19. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    And I suppose these sorts of retorts are still going to keep appearing -- even in 2013.

Kinda sad.

Samnz and Padmes_love_slave24 like this.
  20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Kids will be kids...

21. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I don't blame Hayden and jake. As this thread points out (see interview with stamp) ...how can you get great performances from actors when you point to a piece of paper on the wall and say "alright -act" and give people lines like "I wish I could just wish my feelings away"

The Prequels have the WORST acting/dialogue I have ever seen.

22. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Real mature.

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Even if that was true, actors (at least good ones) are trained to do so.

You mean 'wash'? Still, I see no correlation between that line and a supposed inability to act.

Then you probably haven't seen that much...

Just a reasonable assumption based on your arguments (or lack of).

24. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Horrible acting does not get better over time.

25. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Are you really trying to say you think the prequels have good acting??? I already don't rate your opinion...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.