main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Andy Serkis (Supreme Leader Snoke) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

I like elements and certain characters in the Hobbit films, but have many, many issues with them. Still, Richard and Sir Christopher saved the 3rd one with their excellent and fun performances.

As far as Star Wars, I have very few expectations outside of hopefully being lost in that universe while watching the movie. If I love some new characters and the story, all the better. I find the fewer expectations I have the more I enjoy it.

Regarding Andy, of course he'll say nice things. The guy is super talented. I am looking forward to seeing what he brings to SW.

2. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    I suddenly get the feeling that Serkis isn`t a villain at all, He has felt both the light and dark sides awakening, meaning he isn`t involved in it Maybe he is just an observer from the sidelines? Maybe he is a neutral Force user of some sort?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Giando74

Giando74 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 24, 2014

Interesting... but this again leads to the main question: who is he actually talking to, when saying those teaser trailer lines? To whom is he asking if he/she had felt the awakening of the Force?

4. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Probably someone who is also neutral.

5. SLASHAXL

SLASHAXL Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2005
    No Andy Serkis plays a Sith Lord of some kind, whether that be a physically damaged Emperor or a Sith who co-existed on a different strand of Sith of which Darth Bane originally created the rule of two.

After Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader were destroyed, there was only Luke Skywalker ( Jedi Knight ) and possibly Serkis ( Sith Lord ). Which would mean there was a balance at last.

However this balance may have had a knock on effect, which made the force change it's very nature and look to be used by many again.

6. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    How do you know this?

That is not balance from all the sources (including Lucas) which we have.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. SLASHAXL

Dec 25, 2005

Andy Serkis has been confirmed as the voice in the first trailer, In which his character is heard noting that "There has been an Awakening in the force, The Darkside and the Light".
    This clearly suggests he himself has sensed It ( And is undoubtedly a force sensitive being ), and the way he poses the question ( "Have you felt it?" ) suggests he is aware that he is talking to another force sensitive person, perhaps somebody less familiar or less assured of their own abilities.

This conversation reminded me of two previous scenes in the OT, both Involving Sith.
    1. The Emperor telling Darth Vader in ESB that "There has been a disturbance in the force" to which Darth Vader replies "I have felt it my master".
    2. On the Death Star In ROTJ, The Emperor is surprised to hear that Darth Vader has felt Luke Skywalker, yet strangely he has not.

The way Serkis speaks in this trailer, hints he is somebody of stronger force ability or training, who is talking to somebody not quite in tune with their senses yet. The quotes I have listed from OT, show that Sith Master Darth Sidious previously spoke to his apprentice in ESB in a similar way. While in ROTJ, Darth Sidious seems surprised that his apprentice has felt something that he has not.

I reckon Serkis is a Sith Lord of some kind, and I suspect it could be Imperial pilot Adam Driver who he speaks to.

8. SLASHAXL

Dec 25, 2005
    I think we should bare in mind that those explanations were given at a time, when the Sith had been destroyed and only one trained Jedi knight remained. Up until 2014, that was what we knew to be the ending of the Saga.

However since Disney acquired Lucasfilm and the trailer was released, that has all changed and It looks as if the Sith may well make a return. Which would turn all which we thought we knew on its head, Including how balance was or could be brought to the force.

Immortiss, Darth PJ and Dra--- like this.
  9. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Yes but it is obvious that the 'two Force-users = balance' is ridiculous and not what Lucas ever intended...

Right, so you don't know ;)

10. SLASHAXL

Dec 25, 2005

11. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Correct... Balance has absolutely nothing to do with 'equal numbers on both sides'.

I'm wondering if Serkis will be Darth Maul... after so many years of anger, hatred, lust for revenge, and setback after setback, he just let it go. Perhaps he sought out Luke after sensing the fall of his old master and asked Luke to help him let go of his hatred... so now, he's no longer Sith, but not really a Jedi either (too much baggage from his upbringing), so he'd be 'neutral' as someone suggested...and he's asking Luke if he felt the awakening.

Crazy thought of the week, since with TCW done and Maul surviving Son of Dathomir his fate is still unknown! 8-}

12. SLASHAXL

Dec 25, 2005

The very meaning of the word "Balance" is "a state of equilibrium or equipoise; equal distribution of weight, amount, etc."

However in a Galaxy far far away, we have been told the Sith must be destroyed in order to bring balance to the Force. The very presence of the Darkside corrupts the force, and thus creates an Imbalance.
    We were also told that Anakin/Darth Vader destroyed himself and Darth Sidious, thus wiping out the Sith and bringing balance to the force. With happy looking Force Ghosts present on Endor at the end of ROTJ.

Rumours are that there are Force Sensitive Sith Inquisitor's who are trained to use the darkside, but who are not Sith apprentice/lords. Surely these people using the darkside, would prevent balance being restored to the force. And If true, this would then confirm that Anakin Skywalker was not the Chosen one.
    Add Andy Serkis to this equation, and even more questions appear.

We could learn in the ST, that the very meaning of "Bringing balance to the force" may have been originally misunderstood.

Dra--- likes this.
  13. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Well Maul I personally believe would be an awesome twist but I'm not getting my hopes up (I'd be happy with Plagueis or Ezra too ;) )

I was curious to see how it would look on him though, prepare for some subpar super quick, 5 minute photoshop overlay.

[​IMG]

and just because he's awesome anyway here's the original shot of Serkis

http://www.christaklubert.com/include/php/slir/w1750/images/14960.jpg

Darth PJ likes this.
  14. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    The Dark Side does not imbalance the Force...

15. SLASHAXL

Dec 25, 2005

Then why was the Jedi of the opinion that Anakin must destroy the Sith and bring balance to the force.......not leave it in darkness.

16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The dark side was overwhelming the light to such a degree that the Jedi could literally feel their ability to use the Force diminishing. In the Darth Plagueis novel we learn that it was Palpatine and his master who caused this to happen. They literally tipped the scales in the dark side's favor through some dark side ritual. So it wasn't any old Sith who were the problem but Palpatine himself and once he's removed balance is restored. Or so I assume...

17. SLASHAXL

Dec 25, 2005

I accept that Darth Sidious was Involved in the Initial clouding of the Force, and thus diminishing the Jedi's ability to use the force to see the future/past etc. We see that happening around TPM.

I just never thought of Sidious being the actual link that was causing the force to be clouded, I thought it was more to do with using the darkside.

18. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    Probably didn't help that the Jedi Temple was built over a Sith Shrine.

19. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Sith do not equal the Dark Side...

20. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Lucas has at first glance what seems like an odd view of balance -- he sees the darkside as a natural necessary part of life, but proportionally the lightside must outweigh it or else half of life would be darkness, destruction, anger, violence, selfishness. Lucas thinks one's good qualities must outweigh their negative qualities to be in balance.

I think this makes sense when you consider it. Imagine if half your actions and thoughts were dominated by darkside qualities -- you'd be dead soon or in jail, or a successful businessperson. ;)

Balance for Lucas is something like 90% light 10% dark. It's that 10% darkness that allows Jedi to be aggressive and violent enough to chop limbs off.

However, I agree that the voice of the character in the trailer is most likely an evil character. Just because someone feels an awakening of both sides of the Force doesn't mean they aren't on a side. It just means they can fully sense the Force.

21. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    So I'm trying to think like Lucas here (given he was obviously heavily involved in the premise of the ST), and what he'd be interested in showing audiences. I think it’s a given that he would have imbued the ST with philosophical and spiritual threads, specifically given where TCWC was going... and I'd suspect the story to focus around the philosophical battle ground between light and darkside (no surprises).

It’s worth noting that although this may sound obvious now, weeks/months after the first teaser, it’s something some of us have been very consistent with since the announcement of a new SW film... Whilst others (legitimately at the time) suggested an ST that wouldn’t (or shouldn’t) feature Jedi, Sith and lightsabres etc. So things have obviously moved on. Where we were having debates about whether the ST would evolve into something not necessarily involving force users, we’ve had an unequivocal answer with the unveiling of The Force Awakens and the dialogue within the teaser.

So... I’d imagine that Lucas’ premise (if it's being followed) will organically evolve (and resolve) the saga. The PT being about the battle of the democratic and peace keeping institutions for survival (at a political/state level). The OT being about the battle for freedom under a totalitarian state (at a military/warfare level). The ST being about the battle between light and dark itself (at a philosophical/spiritual level). And that being the case, I’d very much expect the ST to focus on seeing the Sith and Jedi re-boot their order, with more insight into the Sith’s belief/value system and how both Jedi and Sith interact with the force itself.... and for a short version... Serkis as a Sith Master with several Sith underlings... :)

Immortiss, SLASHAXL and Dra--- like this.
  22. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Serkis sounded pretty creppy/villainous with his trailer voice-over. It just sounded really ominous. As for the "can you feel it," he could be talking to his new apprentice/ally (Kylo Ren)? My guess at this point, Andy Serkis=Darth Plagueis.

Immortiss likes this.
  23. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    The Serkis voice over in the trailer could just be a line specifically recorded just for the trailer itself. The very way in which he utters, "the Darkside..and the liiiight" isn't something I could imagine being actual dialogue in the film itself. It's all far too contrived IMO.

24. SLASHAXL

Dec 25, 2005
    I'm amazed by how little is actually known at this stage about the actual script, and especially the role played by Serkis. I actually think his character will only appear very briefly in the movie, with perhaps his role evolving from the Shadows as the ST continues, that is if he does actually play a very powerful ancient Sith lord.

25. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Not terribly contrived if he's explaining the Force to someone who doesn't understand it very well... "the dark side and the light" may be wholly separate from the "There has been an awakening...have you felt it?" line (for that matter, "have you felt it?" may also be separate).

Based on Serkis' remarks once it was revealed to be his voice, the dialogue is from the film itself, not some GOTG-style "made just for the trailer" stuff (the "lineup" shot with Quill yawning and Corpsman Dey's "We picked up these five on Xandar" line, for instance.. Drax wasn't part of the group during the 'booking' scene, and they were on Xandar, so specifying the location seems a little odd)

Dra--- and Chocolate97 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.