main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Andy Serkis (Supreme Leader Snoke) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by dlbates, Dec 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Darth Geezy

Darth Geezy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    While I agree with the premise that Vader/Palps were good villains without backstories, I think we are overall in a different era of the saga. We are at a point now where, 7-8 episodes in, we expect there to be links to past events, character histories to intersect, etc.

I'm not good with knowing Star Wars timelines, but we are what, some 75 years into this saga? There is already mounds of history developed. And unlike Episodes 4-6, there won't be any prequel movies to explain what happened between Episodes 6 and 7. So in order for us to learn about the villain, it will have to happen now, on screen.

The Star Wars universe is organic and running at this point. When we first started watching it, it was a simple good guys versus bad guys flick - we have advanced past that now.

2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

30 Years actually.

3. Darth Geezy

Jan 29, 2016
    No way is this accurate. We meet Anakin Skywalker when he was like a 10 year old and now one of his children has had a child that is 30.

4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Ooooh sorry...I thought you meant between Episode 6 and 7. Then yes 75 years is accurate.

Darth Geezy likes this.
  5. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015
    I agree with so much Star Wars history out there you need to know the basic backstory of Snoke by Ep 9 at least if not in Ep 8 itself. Kind of like they needed to give the way Kylo Ren turned to the darkside and with more specifics unlike Vader where the basic reasons were left out. I think Luke giving a few sentences on where Snoke came from to Rey would be enough in the movie with maybe the book adding a little more. It needs to be known how this powerful darkside user is not on anyones radar during the PT and OT.

6. nugenerationHT

nugenerationHT Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2017
  7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

IDK the OT trilogy functioned well enough without having to know much of the backstory of the Villains. We found out a little about Vader in Ep 6 and we didn't know anything about the Emperor except he was the evil Tyrant of the Galaxy. It's all more in the context of the story and how they function that i'm more curious about. Heck we got Palpatine backstory in a book. And technically the Prequels but the Backstory to the Backstory in the Books.

8. lawton

May 12, 2015

Well part of me talking is being interested in much more than the movies like the typical person watching a Star Wars movie. I think we will get a little more on Snoke than just the line from Yoda that Luke would suffer his father's fate if he underestimated the Emperor and that little bit from Obi Wan about Anakin being corrupted by the darkside (with regards to Vader). I think at minimum we will get something putting a timeline on him at least and his basic background - originally a Jedi, Ancient evil or whatever the case is.

9. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    It wouldn't surprise me at all if we got no Snoke backstory in the films, especially with all the OT-influence the new trilogy is taking. It seems like they want to keep him an absolute mystery outside of a couple hints. Personally I want him to be explained, but I can't see it happening.

10. Darth Geezy

Jan 29, 2016
    Yes, but again though, there will be no opportunity to explore the events between episode 6 and 7. They have to tell it on-screen.

The books are just supplemental material with fluff. They aren't counting on people going out to buy books to read up on stories of the main antagonist. I'll be very shocked if we aren't given a solid 2 minutes of exposition conversation dedicated to Snoke.

Let's say he is Plagueis (yes, I know):

All they'd have to basically have Luke or someone say is "He is an old Sith master who renounced the Sith order after one of his pupils tried to assassinate him and failed, because little did his apprentice know, he had figured out a way to cheat death through the force. He went into hiding until the right moment came, which was some short time after the Emperor, his attempted assassin, was killed."

Boom, backstory done in less than a minute. No need to explain further. Maybe a later scene explores how he uses the force to cheat death and ways to kill someone that has learned that cheat.

Darth Smurf and LunarMoth like this.
  11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Oh that's fine then. Yeah. That works.

Then afterwords will go more in depth with books , tv and comics like we normally do

12. lawton

May 12, 2015

Possibly but things are a lot different now with all the Star Wars stuff out there and the basic background of Snoke has already been decided upon it appears. I think Lucas didn't even know he was going to have the Emperor be this powerful darkside user that turned Darth Vader to the darkside until Ep 5 was being planned.

I will really be ticked if Ep 9 gets here and all we have gotten is Snoke is the one that corrupted Kylo Ren or just that Snoke was a Jedi a long time ago that turned without any other info. Talk about torture.

13. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    These are all reasons that Snoke needs to be connected to the established narrative.

Tommytom likes this.
  14. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I think Snoke will be connected to the previous movies, but in an unexpected way. I think he's a completely new character and will add a new wrinkle somehow.

Wildcatbarry and Darth Smurf like this.
  15. Darth Geezy

Jan 29, 2016
    I am hoping he is some ancient Sith user or at the very least, someone that gives us the answer to what I feel is this saga's #1 unresolved plot hole at the moment - how in the heck was Anakin Skywalker conceived, which ultimately is what created the origin for all of the main events of this saga.

Baron_Papanerd, lawton and Zenwalker like this.
  16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I don't know they''d touch the Anakin thing since the Plagues novel did that already. I mean maybe they will but it's unknown.

17. Zenwalker

Dec 18, 2015
    Isn't that Plagueis novel Legends material now? They could borrow from it, right?

18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean yes but the answer the book gave was Plagueis experiments with the force caused the birth of Anakin.

19. Zenwalker

Dec 18, 2015
    Truth. I guess I kinda blurted out that response without thinking it through. [face_blush]

20. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I mean the plagues theory makes the character mean that much more, kind of ties everything together nicely.

Darth Geezy likes this.
  21. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    No. It undermines Anakin and Palpatine. And Plagueis was barely mentioned in the PT. He ties nothing.

22. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I mean how is Snoke supposed to top Anakin and Palpatine without reaching into the past.

23. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    There's been some debate in this thread about whether it's wise to even consider Legends concepts at all in imagining how Snoke might have been conceived. Pablo recently described the Story Group's role with Rian Johnson as workshop-like and went so far as to compare the basic gist of the process to the transcribed story discussion sessions available online of Raiders and Revenge of the Jedi (Reminder that it was called that then).

https://mobile.twitter.com/D0UBLE_HELIX/status/827291901736927232

24. cbwhu

cbwhu Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 10, 2016

Billions of christians seem to have been for centuries so why not?

Darth Smurf and Dra--- like this.
  25. Darth Geezy

Jan 29, 2016
    [​IMG]