main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Andy Serkis (Supreme Leader Snoke) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by dlbates, Dec 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Darth Imbecillis

Darth Imbecillis Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016

For me, I don't think the problem was the hologram form... I don't know what it was. I just felt like the gigantic size was overcompensating for a distinct lack of the intimidation factor. And looking like the love child of Gollum and Voldemort didn't help matters much.

You see, it's funny because Palpatine is so hammy but I always found him perfect for what he is. Perfect for the story he's in. But I feel like the ST is aiming for something scarier, something bigger, and Snoke in TFA was a letdown for me in that respect.

He does have a scary theme, though. :p

oncafar likes this.
  2. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    I think it all depends on what they already mapped out for the next trilogy. if they want to end the Dark vs Light formula in this one, they could go really big in that department (original sin, Vitiate, Morgoth) to cap it off, and then introduce totally different type of enemy in the next trilogy.

3. Darth Imbecillis

Darth Imbecillis Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016

Yes, this is what I think as well.

Another possibility that occurred to me that in canon the Father, the Daughter and the Son are all accounted for - but the Mother is not. As the story has a female hero, it would make sense for the "source of the Dark Side" in the Unknown Regions to be some kind of a primeval Mother of Darkness.

Dra--- likes this.
  4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm thinking Snoke corrupted the Jedi who started the Hundred-Year Darkness, allowed the Sith to corrupt people without his involvement until Sheev fell into the reactor (for example, Snoke wasn't involved in Anakin's nightmares), and then with the Sith wiped out, decided, "If you want the job done right..."

5. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I think it was a mistake not to make a more radical visual break from Palpatine. While I do like Snoke's similarity to Karloff's mummy, they could definitely have done something scarier.

But then again, we don't yet know his backstory, so our comments may be missing the point.

And, if Snoke really is some kind of ancient being, his look might shift at some point.

darklordoftech

You've been making that argument for a few years now, and it seems that you may turn out to be right. =D=

6. DemonKingBalor32

DemonKingBalor32 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2017

that would be cool if he was like a shape shifter of sorts. like what if the form we saw is what he would want the first order and kylo to see but his true form is more terrifying?

oncafar and Dra--- like this.
  7. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I think Snoke will be powerful and unique in his own ways, but I think we will have future big baddies so he won't be the ultimate villain.

Dra--- likes this.
  8. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    That would be a good way to respond to this perception that Snoke is a bit of an underwhelming rehash. Have this just be one of his forms, or even just a shell that hides his true form.

Yes, they have to be careful of falling into the trap of always having to have a bigger villain. It can become absurd very quickly.

I think that Snoke, like Palpatine, probably wants to learn the secret of changing reality to fit his desires. That's the fascist urge in all of us, so it's very thematically resonant.

But he probably shouldn't ever attain that power, or else SW runs the risk of losing its sense of believability.

EDIT: If they were determined to have Snoke look like he does now, I think he should have at least had a larger skull like these aliens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DemonKingBalor32 likes this.
  9. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    Snoke went looking for the Star Forge & it turned out to be part of Star Wars legends. Now he's stuck out in the unknown regions.

Sent from my Y538 using Tapatalk

10. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015
    I think they learned their lesson with that in Ep 3 and my guess is Snoke will just use pure force power and not a lightsaber in this trilogy.

11. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    It seems more and more that they are going for the "sealed ancient evil" direction for Snoke. Hard not to see some similarity with Abeloth either. Also, in Legends the Celestials (ancient powerful beings) deliberately made hyperspace travel to the Unknown Regions nearly impossible to contain some threat.

Edit: It's this creature and what do you know it's a shapeshifter lol.
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mnggal-Mnggal

Dra--- likes this.
  12. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I really wonder how we will view this thread once we have answers. That's when the fun will really begin!

;)

Tommytom, DARTH_BELO and Dra--- like this.
  13. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I suspect you might have to create a sock to continue posting. You could rename yourself: Darth Plagueis Is Dead

Charlie07 and LunarMoth like this.
  14. lawton

May 12, 2015
    I kind of see something like that also. Snoke isnt the type to play undercover politician like Palpatine. Palpatine made it possible for him to return since there arent a lot of Jedi left.

15. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    I just hope he's unique, somewhere along the lines of Nihilus hunger for the force & Traya wanting to kill the force. I'm already seeing similarities between this trilogy & Kotor.

Kylo's wardrobe is quite similar to Revan. And similar to Revan, It's starting to look like he went into the unknown regions & became brainwashed by Snoke. Revan was being drawn to the region just like we now know Palpatine was. Kylo probably was to.

Next we'll have Rey the Exile.

Sent from my Y538 using Tapatalk

Dra--- likes this.
  16. lawton

May 12, 2015
    And Snoke is the bastard son?

17. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    What if Snoke wants to cleanse the Force by wiping out ALL relics of the Jedi and Sith. Thus he wants complete and utter control over the entire Force and all aspects of it.

Birkendoc likes this.
  18. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    I'm curious--what do all of you guys who like the whole "ability to change reality itself" think it would entail? I've just always been confused by this and would appreciate some details as to how it might be something that could be shown as an immense power for one to yield.

In other words, are we talking about changing reality in terms of a character suddenly disappearing during a conversation they're having? As in being erased from reality? I guess I'm just puzzled with how this could be depicted onscreen or have a viable role in the story.

19. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i suggested before that maybe people so close to pure dark (like snoke, imo) can't get into the "afterlife." they don't want to ever die or want access into whatever is after death... but reality itself means they can't gain access when so purely on the dark side. so a dark side holy grail, would be like a "change reality key." i know that is very vague though.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  20. Darphus_Mon

Darphus_Mon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 23, 2003

This would make sense with the AoTB looking for relics and "purging" force villages...And also why he's gunning for Luke (or at least having Kylo gunning for Luke.)

21. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    I don't think that Snoke's and Kylo's interests in Luke are as compatible as we may think. Snoke was happy to blow up a whole star system if that meant that the map to Luke would be destroyed. OTOH, Kylo wants the map meaning he wants to go there. It doesn't seem like that Snoke's plan was to send Kylo or go there himself. He just doesn't want Luke to come back. So how does he know that Luke can't/won't come back?

Mungo Baobab and oncafar like this.
  22. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    When I think of changing reality I think of certain Marvel characters like Legion or even Phoenix, I think, who can change the form of matter.

So literally changing reality means manipulating things at a particle level and being able to rearrange their structure. You could make a beautiful world like Naboo look like Moraband. You could erect any structure you wanted just being imagining it. You could alter the way people think by changing their neural structures.

oncafar likes this.
  23. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001

I think that's his End Game. He has Kylo do the destroying. And then if there is nothing left but Kylo, he crushes him like a bug as well.

24. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    My theory is that if the FO got the map piece from BB-8 like they were suppose to, instead of blowing up the Republic Capital, they would have blown Ahch-To first, with Luke on it.

oncafar likes this.
  25. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    I wonder if that would have created some really bad disturbance in the Force considering that the planet may be stronger with the Force than any other.

oncafar likes this.