main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Andy Serkis (Supreme Leader Snoke) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by dlbates, Dec 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    You said it oncafar.

A pictures paints a thousand words.

We'll see his evilness played out onscreen in a vision\flashback or the like.

Tommytom and oncafar like this.
  2. Darphus_Mon

Darphus_Mon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 23, 2003
    I had an epiphany this morning, aka another sucky Snoke theory. According to Empire's End, Palps is sensing a dark side entity from the UR. Of course, it's Snoke. Whatever Snoke is, he's a dark side entity that feeds off dark energy (hence, perhaps why he remains in the UR). Aside: we may one day find out the worlds in the UR are truly messed up, savage places full of whatever evil sheet you can dream up from the monolith, Event Horizon, to even Lord of the Flies. And Snoke feeds off this stuff. Hence, his interest in Palpatine and now Kylo. He despises the Jedi because they're the only thing that can stand in the way of his dark side/energy dominance. That is why it will take Luke, Rey AND Kylo to bring him down. Without all 3, there's no chance. Speaking of which...

We know from Bloodline that Luke and Ben are in a spot where radiation is preventing their communication. I think Luke sensed the same thing Palpatine did about the UR, and the last few years Ben and Luke are together they were searching for Snoke's location. They find it and Luke sends Ben back to Planet X to round up the cavalry (Jedi and or padawans). They'll need every light side force user they can to fight this darkness. Except, Ben never comes back. He sold Luke out. There's no way Luke can confront Snoke alone. By the time Luke gets back, everything is destroyed: the temple, the new Jedi, all the artifacts and records. His life's work is destroyed. And by someone he trusted and loved. There's your straw that breaks the camel's back for Luke. So it's off to the 1st Jedi temple to let the force tell him what's next.

I think the FO is just a front for Snoke. He's using them to create chaos in the galaxy (which, if you think about it is exactly where we are post-TFA). He feeds off the war, savagery, anger and murder. Because he's an unknown entity, I don't think we have a conventional lightsaber/lightning showdown. I think it will be bigger. Snoke will be pretty hard to take down...

3. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015

Just my opinions but I doubt Snoke has ever met Luke or Leia or any of them in person and just had Kylo Ren seek him out after he planted stuff in his head.

I think Snoke is just a different type of personality than Palpatine and isn't the type to play some long game of politics to take full power. He is certainly happy Palpatine pulled off what he did wiping out the Jedi however.

I doubt Snoke had any connection with the Empire at all except maybe planting ideas in some peoples heads and all he did was influence Palpatine about the unknown regions during that time. Remember they were really considering going with a version of Snoke that appeared to be an undead snake man.

Mungo Baobab likes this.
  4. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Touche!

5. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    Considering this guy shows up outta nowhere after the fall of the Empire and just assumes control on the tiny remnant and runs it EXACTLY IN THE VISION of Rax, then yeah, I want a damn backstory.

Luke'sSeveredHand and oncafar like this.
  6. Shiro77

Shiro77 Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2017
    I really doubt that Disney would have Snoke ended up being some ultimate darkside entity. I doubt this because Disney would most likely want to treat the Star Wars property similarly to it's most successful property: Marvel. With Marvel Disney has been dropping hints about the ultimate big-bad, Thanos, since the very beginning, but instead of having Thanos as the main villain for any of the stand alone major heroes, Disney has spent time devoting trilogies to developing the main hero's characters, while leaving Thanos as the final big bad for all of these heroes to face after completing their individual journeys. If Disney were to apply this same model to the Star Wars property, which I feel is likely, then Episode VII, VIII, and IX won't focus on this ultimate darkside entity, but rather will focus on Rey's personal journey. Then we could see multiple other trilogies focusing on other characters, spanning a decade, before we get the battle against the ultimate darkside entity.

I do think its possible that Snoke's goal is to awaken an entity like Abeloth and he is trying to use Kylo to do so. This may also explain why Luke went to investigate the origins of the Jedi and ancient history to try and figure out what exactly Snoke is trying to awaken.

7. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    The dark signal emanating from the Unknown Regions has been linked to Snoke since the first Aftermath book. This is likely something Lucasfilm and Wendig did deliberately, though I'm sure Wendig himself only knows the details he provided in his books. Considering the language he uses to refer to it, I think it likely does not refer to an entity at all, but rather to a place.

This fits with other aspects of Force metaphysics we have received from Lucasfilm in recent years, especially the Force planet from Yoda's arc in The Clone Wars and the Mortis arc earlier in that same series. This fits well with what we know of how the show's creators (Filoni) interpreted that planet: not as the singular source of life/the Force (as the episode language implies), but as one of many sources scattered around the galaxy (and universe?). He also mentioned Mortis as another place like this; essentially they're locations where the Force runs strong for one reason or another, a conduit.

That said, most of these may be "light" sources, which makes sense considering the light side is what's considered the natural harmony of the Force in Lucas's metaphysics for the Force. The Tao, or the way things flow when they are not interfered with. But if there was ever a source that was corrupted to the dark side, then that might be a more unique occurrence. Consider the Mortis arc, and how the Father was concerned that if his son fell to the dark side and took over their realm, his darkness would soon spread elsewhere too. Of course, he was mainly concerned about his son escaping Mortis, but it's all somewhat ambiguous.

So, I think Snoke may be another Force user who encountered that dark source in the Unknown Regions, but I don't believe he himself is the source, nor that the source is a sentient entity. Or perhaps he was some kind of guardian attached to this place, and was corrupted along with it after some unspecified event.

8. 357hermon

357hermon Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 6, 2016
    With all these rumors, ideas, theories,etc., something tells me Disney better be careful... sounds like Snoke is going to be very disturbing. I'm all for it but they may have dug themselves into a hole with him that may potentially be very frightening to the new Star Wars generations. Older SW fans I'm sure are in for a treat with his development.

9. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Scarier the better!

B99 likes this.
  10. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Not holding my breath..

11. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I don't see there every being a Thanos type character in Star Wars. Each time era or trilogy will have a big baddie who acquires the powers of the dark side to rise up and attempt to shape the galaxy to their will. This is why I don't see there being a Thanos or an embodiment of the dark side type of character as being the final boss bid baddie of the saga. I also think it would be uncharacteristic for a dark sider to try and revive or empower someone to become stronger than them. They crave that power for themselves.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  12. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    There's no way Snoke is going to survive the new trilogy, right? So who's going to be the one to kill him? It's got to be Kylo Ren. It would have the most emotional impact. Snoke presumably gave comfort to Ben Solo when Ben thought he wasn't getting the love and support he needed from his own family. Snoke was also the one to convince Ben to kill his own father. Seems like at some point for some reason Kylo Ren will get tired of being played by Snoke and Kylo will smoke Snoke.

Though this might not be Kylo Ren's moment of redemption. It might be that Kylo has become strong enough that he feels like he doesn't Snoke around anymore. That might actually be sort of a twist. This whole time people have thought that Kylo was being played by Snoke but maybe Kylo always knew that he was being played and he was using Snoke to gain the training he needed to become more powerful.

Revanfan1, ZY-Fighter, fuhry and 2 others like this.
  13. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    My guess right now is also that Kylo takes out Snoke. Why and how he does it is a bigger question to me. Maybe he does it to atone for his past sins, maybe he does it because he's tired of being played by Snoke, or maybe he just wants to be Supreme Leader Ren.

14. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

I think it's the latter, and it would be different than Vader killing Palpatine.

15. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    That's what I lean towards as well.

16. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Exactly. I'm thinking that Ben Solo went down this path in part to make himself more powerful. Snoke has given him that opportunity. After Kylo Ren feels like he's powerful enough what does he need Snoke for? Also Kylo killing Han shows that he will do anything to serve his own purposes. If Kylo was willing to kill his own dad he'll cross Snoke too if he thinks he'll benefit from it.

The question is, if Snoke is supposed to be so wise why wouldn't he see this coming? Maybe he does and he thinks he's powerful enough to keep Kylo in check?

lawton and Darth Smurf like this.
  17. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    I would love for this ST to be a "set up" in many ways like the PT, which allows for a SST, i.e., TFA-IX being about the Galaxy falling back into darkness, with Kylo Ren eventually killing Snoke and assuming his mantle much in the way Larry Kasdan wanted Luke to go "Now I am Darth Vader." Kylo is then the Big Bad throughout the SST, with him eventually getting killed or redeemed, whichever makes the most sense for the story 5 movies away.

Point being, I'd love for Snoke to be a formidable adversary, but eventually overtaken by Ren who restores the Sith.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  18. fuhry

fuhry Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 20, 2015
    Good stuff. Very plausible.

I think Snoke does need a backstory. Since the original 9 episode idea was truncated to 6, the mastermind of the Clone Wars, the fall of the Jedi and the Republic, and the rise of the Empire died in episode 6. Now, as far as villiany, how do you top that? Or even compete with it? It has to be someone even worse than the Emperor, or someone connected to the Emperor in some way. My personal headcanon had Snoke being the somehow-survived Grand Inquisitor, someone who is not a Sith but loved the Empire and feels that Palpatine and Vader betrayed the Empire by caring more about themselves and their own personal Sith-ness. The reason I like that is that, in the novelization, Snoke is critical of Vader, and, I think, the Emperor as well, blaming sentiment for the downfall of the Empire. If Snoke is the supreme leader of the First Order, I would think that he would kind of be an Empire fanboy.

But.... your theory actually sounds a lot better to me. It could be that the First Order is really the brainchild of Rae Sloane and Armitage Hux, and that Snoke only assisted them and took over after their deaths, bringing Kylo Ren, his guy, into the mix. In this scenario, Snoke doesn't really care whether the First Order's stormtroopers look just like the Empire's or not. As you say, they are tools in his plans.

lawton likes this.
  19. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Do you all think we'll see Snoke fight somebody in TLJ and if so will he use a lightsaber?

20. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Great point, he is the rightful heir of the Sith. (I presume anyway)

21. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i hope snoke doesn't use a lightsaber... though i'm always hoping for some highly powerful force user that doesn't use a lightsaber.

22. Turinsd00m

Turinsd00m Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    I've read all the new Canon novels aside from Empire's End, and so I'm quite excited to hear about Palp's lines which might indicate he was lived for eons. I'm not saying that Disney would go this route, but I would personally love it if Snoke has been using the Sith's "Rule of Two" to leap from vessel to vessel (master to apprentice) for all that time. I'd like Snoke to be an ancient foe that the Jedi managed to physically banish to the UR; however, a part of his spirit endured and has been using the Sith to stick around while he works on a way to bring his full power back.

So, perhaps Palpatine's himself hasn't lived for all that time, but in betraying and murdering his master, he then unknowingly opened himself to be the next vessel for Snoke's spirit . Not that Snoke completely takes over any of his hosts right away, the more time that passes the more he takes over. By the time we see him in ROTJ Snoke has a much greater hold over him than when we see him in the PT. Which is why Palp's interest in playing emperor diminished and he started focussing more and more on the UR..

I always wanted there to be a reason why Palp's death was marked with blue flashes of light, yet no other Sith in canon died with a similar display. This would explain why. Until the end of ROTJ, we had yet to see a Master (who had killed his former master in the Sith line) die. We had only seen apprentices of Palps and their Darkside followers get taken out.

Perhaps with all Palp's power and resources Snoke was finally able to bring resources out to where he was exiled in the UR, but he still can't physically return quite yet. But he also lost his chain of vessels since Palps died right as Vader turned back to the light. So, his plan isn't completely stopped, but now he has to continue using the FO and Ben. The ships that finally made it to the UR are what he's using to communicate with them in GFFA via hologram now for now.

23. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Especially if he's a puppet though I suppose any Snoke lightsaber scenes would be CGI.

24. lawton

May 12, 2015

I highly doubt it myself with how that mess came off in Ep 3 with Palpatine and the Jedi Masters. I think they stick to Force lightning or something very similar only and will probably wait until Ep 9 for him to use it.

On the Kylo Ren killing him stuff I guess it could be possible but I don't think it would be because he has became as powerful as Snoke but it would be just him pulling a Sith backstabbing like killing. I don't even see that happening if it did until the latter part of Ep 9.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  25. lawton

May 12, 2015