main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Andy Serkis (Supreme Leader Snoke) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by dlbates, Dec 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    I like that blue eyed one much better. That above looks like Gollum, too much Serkis.

2. Orochi Oni

Orochi Oni Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 8, 2013
    One thing is for certain with TFA: holographic technology in the galaxy far, far away has come a long way in the last 30 years.

3. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Yeah, I think he was described as a cross between Voldemort, Gollum, and Palpatine by one critic, whether here or a film reviewer I don't know.

Do we know it's not fan art?

4. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Not remotely. But if it is fan art, it's far superior to even the official artists who have been hired to draw Snoke. The fact that every detail matches the model's face so closely, and that the pose is so unlike any reference in The Force Awakens, makes me suspect it might be the real deal. Could be wrong, of course.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  5. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    It does look good.

6. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    It's a good drawing (technically), but not at all superior to the Snoke concept art created by ILM artists.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  7. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    ''tis true.

8. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Snoke is Jar Jar. You heard it here peeps. (sarcasm)

9. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    Yeah, no. I was comparing it to the art from the TFA comic and from Topps cards. As far as I'm concerned, the ILM model is essentially Snoke. That and Ivan Manzella's maquettes.

10. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Snoke answers to Jar Jar.

11. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Fixed.

Ubraniff Zalkaz likes this.
  12. grizzla

grizzla Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 8, 2013
    Apologies if this has already come up - 246 pages is a lot to research before posting so I skimmed a bit - feel free to mock me if it has :)

I can't remember who (someone please remind me) but Lucasfilm said "Snoke IS NOT Darth Plagueis."
    I now believe Snoke is just Snoke and I'd always believed him to be Plagueis and I wanted that so badly.
    Villains are usually either seen right at the get-go of a story, or they are simply mentioned and then revealed toward the end of a story - this could be what's happening here albeit with a twist. So taking the saga as one big story it makes sense to reveal (in Ep.3) the Big Bad early on and save the reveal until now.
    "Darth" is a title given to Sith Lords after they turn. So why can't Snoke still be Plagueis? Lucasfilm hasn't said "Darth Plagueis IS NOT Snoke".
    Snoke is no longer a Sith (Plagueis) so what Lucasfilm said is right....from a certain point of view.
    Snoke IS Snoke - he used to be Darth Plagueis but maybe he dropped the Darth title himself. If he also searches for Force artefacts it's not implausible that he now has discovered what Luke has also discovered, that the Jedi must end, and with that too must the Sith?
    So, in my summary, Snoke WAS Plagueis - he's now reverted to his original name.
    Thoughts?

13. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    If you're referring to Pablo's tweet, he said "Snoke is not Plagueis". There was no "Darth" in the statement.

14. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015

Pablo has gone on extensive tweet sprees about Plagueis and Snoke.

He's openly stated

1. Plagueis is dead as in Sidious did kill him. There is no "certain point of view" about his death.
    2. Snoke and Plagueis are physically two separate characters.

15. grizzla

grizzla Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 8, 2013
    Ok I hadn't seen Pablo's "Plagueis is dead" tweet. Oh well I guess a man can still dream - thanks for the course correction

cwustudent likes this.
  16. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015

One of the many times he's tweeted a confirmation https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/726597973619015681

grizzla likes this.
  17. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    When is a door not a door?

When it's ajar-jar.

18. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Yousa feeble skills is no match for da power of da dark side.

19. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    I just noticed that 11-4D had posted the ominous Snoke picture last week. Did you say the image came from the same person who posted the Snoke pinball images? That does strengthen the likelihood that it's an image from TLJ promotional materials. I wonder if Snoke appearing in more promotional materials signifies a greater presence in the film, or if it's merely a result of his design being already defined and therefore usable for marketing? I know Pablo Hidalgo said that various TFA books did not get Snoke images because of the late refinement of the design. Still, I'm hoping we see more of him.

Yet I really don't know what would be best for the story/themes that we have going on. Some answers related to Snoke would be great, but at the same time, can they provide answers without taking away from the aesthetic that has been developed? I think TFA worked great because it was so mythological and didn't focus as much on providing backgrounds or backstories beyond what was revealed casually in-story. Learning more about the state of the galaxy and the characters through books like Bloodline was great, but I'm not sure that would work in film, and I'm hoping TLJ doesn't flip that and go the way of overexposing.

That said, I do think it's important for us to know why Ben turned to the dark side, and why he follows the First Order and Snoke. That's essential to me because it essentially answers the question to what went wrong after ROTJ. Why did the happy ending go so wrong in the end?

I don't mean this plot-wise, since we have been learning that in books, but rather in a more overarching, thematic sense. Is there something inherently impossible about achieving peace and harmony? Is the dark side (of the Force and of beings) too real and essential that it will always manifest in unfortunate ways if it's not dealt with correctly? These are themes that matter because they transcend the medium, and if Snoke's story augments them, then I do consider it essential.

Rodie, lawton and darth_of_denmark like this.
  20. darth_of_denmark

darth_of_denmark Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    Whatever there is with Snoke I just hope it's going to be great. But as I've said before I just can't get over his name. It just sounds silly.

Was just talking with a friend about it and tbh. There are quite a few Sith Lords in the EU with much better names. Like Marka Ragnos, Tulak Hord, Naga Sadow and several others that I can list. Those names sound like names of Ancient Kings or Warlords and does not make me think about Smoke or Snake or even Snape.

I really want to know how they came up with such a lame name like Snoke. But I guess I will have to wait years for that behind the scenes story if they ever tell us.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  21. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I also admit that Snoke is not the best name for a Star Wars villain.

22. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015

Snake/Snoke considering what they were thinking about for his appearance at one time. Like the serpent in religion. That is all I can really think of.

23. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    At this point I pretty much think that Snoke is just Snoke. The Emperor, part 2 who sedduced the young impressionsble, good guy. He was conceived as nothing more than that, just "the baddie" who leads the baddie troops. Maybe the books will explain more, but I dont think we will see much more than that on screen.

24. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Haven't you heard? Snoke is actually an abbreviation: S.N.O.K.E. Meaning Sith no one knows exists. [face_whistling] :p

25. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Credit to EHT on that, I believe.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.