main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Andy Serkis (Supreme Leader Snoke) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by dlbates, Dec 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Rian understands the SW style better than most SW fans -- show don't tell, as much as possible.

We only need to learn what is necessary about Snoke that's related to the current story line. That likely has little to do with how he and the First Order met.

Listen to Rian, he knows much more about storytelling than most fans do.

2. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I assume Snoke's back-story will be left to comics and/or novels. I'm fine with that.

Dra--- likes this.
  3. Orochi Oni

Orochi Oni Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 8, 2013
    "We couldn't think of anything interesting, so, just like the filmmakers on The Force Awakens, we're being lazy and playing it safe by copying the original trilogy." - Rian Johnson

We already knew this, though. He said a long time ago that he didn't really delve much into Snoke's character in the film. As long as the important questions are answered by the end of Episode IX, things should be fine.

RyanjohnN likes this.
  4. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Argument by personal attack (ad hominem). Used when people lack logic and facts to support their position.

5. RyanjohnN

RyanjohnN Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 10, 2017
    And dismissing fans concerns by saying that Rian knows more about Star Wars than the fans is also logically fallacious; the "appeal to authority" fallacy. But on top of ad hom fallacy and appeal to authority fallacy being committed there's also the fallacy fallacy, dismissing an argument just because a logical fallacy was used. I'd say if Snoke is just a generic big bad than they are being lazy with the story telling, regardless of if someone used ad hominem to get that point across.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

melkor834 and oncafar like this.
  6. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    At this point, I´m somewhat leaning towards Snoke being a powerful entity from the Unknown Regions. If he had spies to know what was going on in the galaxy or used other kind of methods, I think it can´t be said at this point, but I´m very interested in knowing how he got in contact with the First Order (or the Imperial Remnant), to the point of leading it in such an absolute way...

7. Orochi Oni

Orochi Oni Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 8, 2013
    Me? lol

I've got plenty of logic and facts to support my stance on this subject. But you already knew that because we've discussed it before.

I don't agree with your stance on the subject, but I had respect for you for backing it up with decent reasoning. However, since you clearly get very upset when people disagree with you, I've lost all respect for you.

The next time you want to accuse me of nonsense, do it in a private message rather than in a forum post that you didn't even have the common decency to tag my name in.

8. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    The Last Jedi Exclusive: Rian Johnson Talks Snoke And Kylo Ren

9. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I guess more info on Snoke's past will have to be found in future comics or novels.

10. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    OK after the Emperor and Vader died, another Powerful darksider came out of nowhere and took over The remains of the Empire.
    Another Example of lazy filmmaking.

11. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Snoke is so obviously Lando. The fact that Lando didn't appear in TFA (or so we thought), and none of the characters mentioned him (or so we thought), was very suspicious. So, no sign of Lando, but hey, there's this "new" character we never saw before, and oh, he somehow managed to get close to Han and Leia's kid... gee, I wonder who else could have gotten close to Han and Leia's kid... maybe LANDO?. And now we see that Snoke likes expensive things and wears flashy outfits, kind of like, you know, Lando. The only thing they could have done to make it more obvious would be to have given Snoke a mustache.

12. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Lando did come across some Sith artifacts in a comic...

13. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    guys why is snoke goldmember?

ZY-Fighter likes this.
  14. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    The better question is why wouldn't Snoke be Goldmember?

15. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015
    I still think we may get a quick line on Snoke by Luke or himself to Kylo that gives an idea of just how old he may be.

Tommytom and oncafar like this.
  16. ZY-Fighter

ZY-Fighter Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    Was watching some FFII videos and a Snoke POP Vinyl popped up, my wife said "Why's he dressed like Beyonce in her bathrobe?" [face_laugh]

His look is growing on me. I saw a fan review of the BB-8 playset and I thought he looked pretty cool.

17. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    yes leia and luke both know things about snoke. that would be part of the story if what they know "serves the story."

lawton likes this.
  18. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    We learned only as much as we needed for the story about Palpatine as well, all of which was of enormous impact on the story told in the Saga films. We didn't get things like how/why be because a Sith because that part of his history has nothing to do with the narrative.

When all is said and done, Snoke will have fleshed out in similar fashion.....

19. asdv

asdv Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 30, 2003
    The problem with Johnson's comment is that there is inherent backstory in Palpatines title. Yes, he is "the Emperor." However, the Empire itself is well established as the ultimate government power in the galaxy. An Emperor of said Empire obviously rose to political prominence. He is the ultimate dark side user, etc. etc. In short, he didn't need a huge backstory because things were implicitly understood based on his position.

Snoke...not so much.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16

melkor834 likes this.
  20. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm not very concerned about Rian's quote because he did qualify it with the "except where it serves this story" part -- so I think we'll get some more information about Snoke.

But I agree that we need more than what Palpatine had in the OT. Like you said: Palpatine's rise to power and his place in the Empire is easy to infer because the audience can easily accept an increasingly dictatorial leader of the status quo scooping up more power while being countered by an internal rebellion. But I think we're going to need to know more about why Snoke has the authority that he does and what his motives are. (I kinda feel the same way about the First Order too).

asdv, melkor834 and oncafar like this.
  21. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Keeping Snoke a mystery can create a far more powerful and unlimited bad guy....his limits don't need to be shown until the last reel of the last film.

22. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    Perhaps... I think it's pretty much assumed Snoke will be defeated, and likely die, by the end of Episode IX. But what if he isn't, or doesn't? It's already been said Disney quietly has plans for another trilogy after this. Perhaps Snoke can continue on as the big baddie, and each movie we get more and more info about his backstory? Or maybe ,since we likely need a happy ending for this trilogy, Snoke is defeated and loses his power, but escapes. Part of the next trilogy can be the hunting down of Snoke, and his origins can come into context with that?

23. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Let me see if your logic stands up. Palpatine was Emperor, hence, backstory. Snoke is Supreme Leader, hence, no backstory.

Excellent logos!

24. RyanjohnN

RyanjohnN Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 10, 2017
    False equivalence... If you want to criticise people's logic you'd better hope yours stands up as well then.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

melkor834 likes this.
  25. ZY-Fighter

ZY-Fighter Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    I for one quite enjoy Rian's way of speaking. I think "the scary thing behind the thing" would look really cool on a shirt with Snoke!