1. A Warning For Everyone To See:

PT vs. OT vs. ST vs. Anthology (in any combination) debates are not allowed in the New Movies forums. Discussions that descend into OT/PT/ST/Anthology bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Consider this your warning.

Official Info Andy Serkis (Supreme Leader Snoke) -Episode 8/9

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi & IX - Spoilers Allowed' started by dlbates, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Darth Smurf Jedi Master

star 4
    Maybe Snoke was very important somewhere in the empire. Maybe at Vaders castle.
    I'm looking forward to see Luke ask Snoke:

Luke: What was your job at my fathers castle?
    Snoke: Sanitary Service
    Luke: Umh... well...
    ZY-Fighter and DaddlerTheDalek like this.
  2. themoth Jedi Master

star 4
  3. propeller Jedi Knight

star 2
    I think that Snoke was the previous leader of the KOR, and it is in fact he who wears 'Kylo's' mask during the KOR rain scene in Rey's vision.

We'll see the scene again, post temple massacre, with young Kylo meeting the Knights and Snoke - thinking Luke destroyed - removing his mask to greet the boy (the only time we'll see him in his 'beautiful' original, uninjured form.

But Luke emerges from beneath the rubble and - after furiously despatching the KOR, seems to mortally wound Snoke. As he prepares to deliver the death blow, Snoke will reach out to Kylo who will turn on his Uncle - enabling Snoke to get away.
  4. KamNale Jedi Knight

star 1
    Just back from seeing It, I want to say that if they do use a young Kylo that Owen Teague would be perfect.
  5. The-Clone-Wars Jedi Master

star 3
    The Mace Windu theory. Gosh the guy looks just like Mace! The face/eyes expressions especially and his height.
  6. Darth Geezy Jedi Knight

star 2
    The thing I don't like about them going vague is that unlike with Palpatine, there won't eventually be a prequel movie to show his rise to power.

I feel like for this stage of the saga, a character like him needs to be explained fully. I don't like the idea of "random, vague bad guy that comes out of nowhere and is evil just because."

I'll also add that I feel like his wound to the head has to have some significant background history.
    Last edited by Darth Geezy, Sep 9, 2017
  7. DarthPhilosopher Jedi Master

star 4
    You're right, if only there were stand-alone films where they could explore Snoke's backstory.
  8. Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight

star 4
    I hope Snoke chucks that gold robe in the KOR direction if they fail him.
  9. Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Knight

star 4

Haha. Snoke: A Star Wars Horror Story. Star Wars' first horror movie. Bring back Joe Schreiber for the novel ;)
  10. Darth Geezy Jedi Knight

star 2
    Did I miss the memo that they're planning to do more standalone films after the Obi-Wan movie? Admittedly, I've been out of the loop lately.
  11. LunarMoth Jedi Master

star 4
    Are we still convinced that Snoke is new?
  12. ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight

star 3
    New character? I am absolutely convinced that he is a NEW character.
    ZY-Fighter, 11-4D and oncafar like this.
  13. oncafar Jedi Master

star 5
    PH has said numerous times he's new and not plagueis. and it wasn't one of his non-answers. he was trying to give a direct answer.
    ManWithoutAStar likes this.
  14. aprilstarwars73 Jedi Youngling

Hmmmmmmm......I have been reading and enjoying all theories on Snoke....from what a can tell...Snoke is new but yet not....he was there for the rise and fall of the Empire.....so he was around...the back story of snoke....I think it sits in corruption of ben....

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
  15. oncafar Jedi Master

star 5
    by new people mean not a previous character in the saga.
  16. LunarMoth Jedi Master

star 4
    Right. New as in not revealed to be any other character that we already know.
  17. Artoo-Dion New Films Manager

Manager
    star 5
    There's no reason to think they'll stop at just three.
    Revanfan1, 11-4D and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  18. All_Powerful_Jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    If for no other reason that Disney wants to add its own elements to the mythology of Star Wars to keep it fresh and take it into the future, Snoke has to be a new character.

Having too much reverence for Lucas' work can be very handicapping if you want this to go on for another 100 years. The well runs dry eventually if you don't add new things.
  19. DarthPhilosopher Jedi Master

star 4
    As @Artoo-Dion said, there is no evidence they'll stop after three (in fact there are rumours to the contrary). We don't even know if the Obi-Wan movie will be the third standalone.
  20. LunarMoth Jedi Master

star 4
    We don't know how far they plan on continuing the Saga films and there are countless options continuing otherwise. Snoke certainly doesn't have to be new, and especially not for that reason.
    Last edited by LunarMoth, Sep 10, 2017
  21. Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight

star 4
    I sure hope so,
  22. Krueger Force Ghost

star 5
    I am now.
  23. Sauron_18 Jedi Master

star 4
    Here are two Snoke ideas I saw recently from Force Friday II materials and random internet theories. They are mutually exclusive, and I do not think either is necessarily a good idea, but they are interesting to me because they diverge from how I see this character right now without contradicting anything in particular or being too illogical.

1. Snoke has been around since before the Empire, but so has the First Order, in some form. He has been hiding in the Unknown Regions along with part of his fleet since the days of the Old Republic (though not the Old Old Republic), and the Imperial fleet merely found him. The First Order is a fusion of the Imperial remnant and Snoke’s own mysterious fleet.
    2. Snoke is a dark Jedi who fell to the dark side as a result of the Clone Wars, the Jedi Purge, or some other pre-Empire event. He was a respected Jedi once, and knows all that there is to that way of life, but still became convinced that the dark side was a truer path. He fled to the Unknown Regions and saw an opportunity come back with the power vacuum left by the Sith.
    Theory 1 is interesting, but I think it ultimately does not work considering what we have learned of the First Order. It would bring in more questions, which is fine, but it does not seem like the new canon is necessarily trying to up the mysteries that are already established alongside new characters. In other words, it seems unnecessarily complicated, and to me it sounds like it hints too much at Snoke being a remnant of the old Sith empire.

Theory 2 is much simpler and for that reason also seems more likely than other theories I’ve heard. Snoke does not have to be particularly ancient, nor does there have to be some ultimate master plan behind things. It additionally brings certain elements from Legends into canon with their own unique (and frankly less complicated) twist: a surviving old Jedi who who fell to the dark side and allied himself with the Imperial remnant in a quest for power (Joruus C’baoth, ignoring cloning); and an old Jedi authority figure who knows more about Jedi history or powers than Luke, who still fell to the dark side despite that (throwing into question the validity of Jedi teachings), and has corrupted or killed Luke’s students (Exar Kun’s ghost).

Thoughts? I don’t think either is too likely, but I was interested in seeing how this meshed with what we know and what others theorize about Snoke.

Personally, I still prefer a slightly more ethereal origin to Snoke that makes him more mysterious like other independent Force figures in the new canon (Bendu, Mortis family, Force priestesses, etc.) without needing too much of an explanation.
    Last edited by Sauron_18, Sep 10, 2017
  24. LunarMoth Jedi Master

star 4
    Neither of these examples connect Snoke to the Skywalker Saga adequately enough as I think he ultimately will be, or dare I say should be..... for my taste anyway.
  25. oncafar Jedi Master

star 5
    wait. now snoke has to be deeply connected to skywalkers too? does his corrosive relationship with kylo not count?
    Last edited by oncafar, Sep 10, 2017