main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Andy Serkis (Supreme Leader Snoke) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    **** off back to the 'Who's Your Baddie' thread if you want to bring this discussion up again. You've been given multiple warnings from mods.

2. JaporSnippet

JaporSnippet Jedi Master star 2

Mar 24, 2005
    Who among the Jedi Council members that we did not see his death on screen during Order 66?

3. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Yaddle. :)

thejeditraitor likes this.
  4. Sithians

Sithians Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 15, 2015
    Yup...I have a bad feeling that Episode 8 is the movie I'm looking for..lol..I'll still enjoy TFA though!

5. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015

the MSW report doesn't imply Snoke is/was a senator of the New Republic. What i understand is that he's the leader of the First Order and as such, he has/had some kind of "diplomatic" contacts with the Republic (like the leader/diplomat of one country can try to influence the governement/policy of another).

Mungo Baobab and Darth_Pevra like this.
  6. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

Like the Trade Federation in TPM. They could speak in the senate even though they are an organization.

In Legends Nom Anor also gave at least one speech in the Senate Rotunda despite being a member of an extragalactic race and therefor not eligible for a seat in the galactic republic.

7. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

Sep 16, 2015
    the difference being the Trade Federation worked within the old Republic. The First Order will feel like an outside threat to the New Republic but, just as in real world, there can be diplomatic contacts between two "ennemies" who don't want to enter into war (although in the FO's case, it's just a strategy to gain time). Cold war time! Space war time!

Mungo Baobab likes this.
  8. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    I wrote this up a few weeks back and it might help answer some questions. It builds on MSW's info on the state of the Galaxy.

9. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    This is Jar Jar.

10. Fruit Pastilles

Dec 21, 2014
    Possibly, yes. I'd actually prefer this.

The post also says that treaties were signed stopping the Republic from attacking the First Order as long as they remained in the Outer Rim, well beyond the Republic territories. So they must be on decent working terms.

The Resistance are a secret offshoot of the New Republic set up by General Organa as she felt "the First Order would one day attack", unlike most of the Republic senators. When Starkiller Base is revealed, the treaty is broken.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  11. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Which begs the question: will we get any scenes of the New Republic leadership supporting Leia's Resistance in TFA?

12. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    schemer: a person who is involved in making secret or underhanded plans.

But,

and,
    This is exactly what I wanted to hear. It makes it sound like Snoke is an over-arcing villain. An Uber Villain.

Obviously, Andy was asked if Snoke was a character from the previous films and he said "No". I think that's safe thing to say.

13. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

Sep 16, 2015
    DarthMalevonus : great theory and a nice read! BUT i admit i really don't think the fleet admiral is Snoke. 2 reasons for this: 1) there'll be two other Aftermath books and it seems to me this secret baddie is introduced to be the main villain in the next two novels. I don't think they would use Snoke in the films AND in books that happened 30 years before TFA. 2) Snoke, as described by Serkis, seems to be a sort of tragic figure, he's a "damaged" character, physically extreme (not plagueis though!!!), something less mundane than this fleet admiral who seems to be more of a Thrawn-like character (and i love thrawn! but different character). I may be wrong of course, just my observation.

Mungo Baobab likes this.
  14. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Likewise. I always thought that Lucasfilm would opt for "the threat in the ST is greater than the threat in the OT" and that's what they seem to be doing. An even more Uber evil than the Emperor (and an even more Uber weapon than the Death Star).

If executed poorly, this could be hokey. But from what I've seen, I don't think we need to worry too much about poor execution.

Mungo Baobab and Immortiss like this.
  15. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Palpatine, Maul (TCW), Vader, Dooku - every single one of them a schemer. Doesn't mean all that much, the description.

16. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Yes, because we've see so much of those two things...

17. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Simply, I like the idea of an over-arcing villain creating the tension and the rising action of the plot for the sequels. Will our new heroes be able to defeat him? Undoubtedly, but make me doubt they will. Like 'there is another' slipped in doubt that Luke would survive.

Also, some wanted Lucas to make Vader a monster under the suit, but Lucas was adamant that the story was not about monsters, but human frailty. I'd like to see that same principle upheld in terms of Kylo Ren.

18. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Yup. A Sauron for the ST, basically. I can dig it.

Mungo Baobab and Immortiss like this.
  19. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Or was it Morgoth?[face_devil]

20. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Sauron is pretty far down the list as far as cool villains go, I like Saruman a lot more. I hope that Snoke has more going for him than being the cliched evil overlord with no depth or real personality. I think today's audiences demand more than that. There's a reason why villains like Loki are well-loved and it's their personality, wit and charme.

cwustudent likes this.
  21. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Well, at the time of Lord of the Rings, Morgoth was languishing in God prison. So not quite.

But perhaps for the SST, a Morgoth will be unleashed. The manifestation of evil from the Even Further Further Beyond. :)

Well, yes, which is why we don't need to see the evil overlord very often (as is likely to be the case with Snoke). Our Saruman (or Boromir, even) for TFA will be Kylo, and that's who we will spend the most time with. He will be the interesting character that the audience demands. The evil overlord is just a symbol of evil, which gives the story a mythic "the soul of the galaxy is at stake" vibe. Just as the Emperor did in the OT.

In other words, these two elements of evil are not mutually exclusive. The evil overlord simply magnifies the existing human drama.

22. Fruit Pastilles

Dec 21, 2014
    Well, if Luke is Gandalf, and Saruman is the Anti-Gandalf, then Kylo must be Saruman (the Anti-Luke) and Snoke must be Sauron :D

23. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Nice contrast between Snoke and Kylo Ren. Kylo is a hothead which makes him vulnerable to Snoke's control and dominance.

24. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    The Beyond = God's Prison?

Did not Morgoth precede Sauron?

25. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    Perhaps he is the creator of the imbalance, the same imbalance that eventually led to the birth of the Sith. Maybe even the prophecy originates with him.

Like Morgoth, the stealer of the secret fire, like a SW Prometheus, he was defeated, suffered terrible punishment, and locked away in the Beyond. Morgoth in the void. Cronos cast into Tartarus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.