main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Andy Serkis (Supreme Leader Snoke) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Its concept was later used in TOR.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The TOR Sith are mentioned in KOTOR II as the cause of Revan's turn, and the concept I referenced was extra-galactic, had no human blood, and predated the appearance of sapient life on Korriban and the Great Jedi Schisms.

3. Eons I slept

Eons I slept Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 24, 2015
    Haven't read this theory on here yet, (I'm sure it's been mentioned) but it's my favorite thus far. I haven't read 'Aftermath' so I didn't have this information, but it makes a hell of a lot of sense and potentially ties into the Vong theory (which I fully subscribe too).

I like it because, as a lifelong Star Wars fan, I'm hungry for more info regarding the 'wilds' and things outside of the GFFA being brought into the fold. I also like the idea of a potential force-impotent BECOMING force-sensitive in uncharted space.

4. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I thought the old EU wasn't being used. Also, I never liked the Vong. If the Cosmic Force is everywhere and connected to midichlorians, and if all living beings are part of the Living Force, how can the Vong live outside the Force? Whatever in-story explanation contradicts canon.

Also, since Snoke can feel the dark and the light, he wouldn't be Vong. And he considers Ren to be the ultimate embodiment of both dark and light.

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. Eons I slept

Eons I slept Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 24, 2015
    Seems like you're pretty hung up on the Vong. When I say "Vong theory" I'm referring to an extra-galactic threat being the reason for Snoke/Ben's actions.

I don't know where you got Snoke being a Vong from. Neither I, nor the video said anything even remotely of the sort. Guess you just skipped it and went on a Vong tirade. Kaaaayyy....

6. ForgottenMaster

ForgottenMaster Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015

I had a theory once that the Star Wars galaxy was originally inhabited by only one race of sentient beings, the Whills. The Whills over a long period of time evolved into telepathic, telekinetic, you-name-it beings, so powerful that when they died, their consciousness persisted. Eventually, all Whills died out and their collective consciousness was left behind, penetrating everything in the galaxy. All other races in the galaxy evolved from the Whills and still show traces of the Whills in the blood/DNA in the form of midi-chlorians. Those individuals with a lot of Whill DNA (midi-chlorians) are more able to tap into the collective consciousness, the Force.

While I never read about the Vong. I had heard that they were from another galaxy and they were not affected/governed by the Force. My reasoning then was that because they came from a outside galaxy, the did not evolve from the Whills and therefore were not affected by the collective consciousness, the Force.

Beard_Esquire and darklordoftech like this.
  7. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    My only problem with Snoke is that his name is stupid... Seriously.. ."Snoke" is the best name they could come up with? Really?

I come up with better names than that every time I play a freaking RPG video game

8. ForgottenMaster

ForgottenMaster Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    A little while ago, in a thread far, far away (maybe this one actually), I mentioned the possibility of Snoke being a grotesque leftover from Anakin/Vader's death. Think of Voldemort's little baby body thing in the train station at the end of Harry Potter. Anyway, the thought, however ridiculous, was that when he died, the good side (Anakin) became a "luminous being" as Yoda would say, leaving the dark side (Vader) to manifest the shriveled up, frail, evil, hideous Snoke. How? I don't know...the Force works in mysterious ways.

I saw a Yahoo article today proposing that Snoke is Vader because of vaguely similar head wounds. Then I started thinking about Serkis or someone saying that Snoke was around 7' tall. Now, Anakin was not a 7 footer, but Vader was because of his magic shoes. So why would he be 7 ft. in his afterlife/manifested whatever life? Again, the Force works in mysterious ways.

Then I tried the good old anagram search on "Snoke" and came up with Kenos. A quick google search produced the following:

Definition - Kenos
    1. empty, vain, devoid of truth
      1. of places, vessels, etc. which contain nothing
      2. of men
        1. empty handed
        2. without a gift
      3. metaph. destitute of spiritual wealth, of one who boasts of his faith as a transcendent possession, yet is without the fruits of faith
      4. metaph. of endeavours, labours, acts, which result in nothing, vain, fruitless, without effect
        1. vain of no purpose
    Seems pretty fitting for such an evil person who is completely devoid of light. He also speaks to Kylo possibly through the Force...which is usually a Skywalker thing. I think the only exception is Palps talking to Anakin in ROTS, but I'm not so sure that it wasn't Anakin thinking about things Palps told him off-screen. Obi-Wan talks to Luke, but he's speaking from beyond.

Think about Snoke working on Kylo to finish what Vader started. Then think about the rumors of Anakin's Force Ghost making appearances. Could Anakin be "haunting" Kylo, trying to convince him to leave Snoke?

Darth Caliban likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  10. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Something to think about as well along with the idea that Snoke is a amalgamation of Kadaan and Triculus, you could add the idea that there is a connection to Darth Revan as well. A few things about Revan for those who don't know who he is:

1. He is the player character of Knights of the Old Republic, nicked named KotOR for short.
    2. He was, like Anakin a Prodigal Jedi who became a Sith Lord for a time then was reformed after a battle with Jedi Bastaila Shan and a strike force, causing him to get mind wiped.
    3. Revan fought in the Manalorian wars where he gained the helmet he wears and altered it over time.
    4. Revan created a group of Jedi Crusaders called the Revanchist who eventually became his Sith Followers.
    5. As a Sith Lord he built an empire that was as big of a threat as the Empire was.
    6. Malachor V was the planet where he ruled his empire from.
    7. Part of Revan's plans was to use the Star Forge, a super weapon that sucked up stars and used their energy to fuel weapons and other destructive devices for his men.

Sound familer, well it should, there are a number of nods to this guy in Episode VII.

To start with we have Kylo Ren and the Knights of Ren. Their costumes seem to imitate Revan, to the point that people thought Kylo Ren was Revan for a time.

Secondly you have the Knights of Ren, a group of Jedi killers who act very much like crusaders that follow along one leader, Kylo Ren. If the Knights of Ren are a nod to the Revanchist it would make sense then that they would be followers of some very old Sith ways of thinking prior to the "Always two" rule came about.

Third there's the saber that Kylo Ren has with him. Now the thing that is unique about the saber is the fact that it's been made crudely based on designs from around or just before the Great Scourge of Malachor. This was an event where Revan and his men met with the Manadlorian war lord the Ultimate Mandalorian and killed him, resulting in a rather bad effect that happened to the planet, the battle they had pretty much destroyed the ecosystem causing the planet to have massive continuing lighting storms with a lot of rain. The fact that Kylo Ren's saber design comes from this period of time and that it is a direct reference to this place which is interesting.

Fourth Malachor's terrain became a twisted wasteland after the events of the cataclysmic battle. The planet that we see Kylo Ren and his team of Knights on seems very much like this, with a lot of rocks and strange silt like grounds. Malachor is also the home to where Revan had his Sith Empires home, it's also a large battery for dark side energy stemming from the fact that the Sith have been using this planet as a mine for dark energy for eons, back all the way to the true sith. This place is also home to the Trayus Academy where the Sith trained to become one with the darkness.

Fifth, there's the Starkiller that mirrors the Star Forge. This weapon was a star sucking machine that created droids and ships and other weapons from the energy, the only difference between the StarKiller and the Star Forge is that the Forge used the matter from a star to create things where as the Star Killer is designed to blow things up. However they both function on the same idea. If the FO got ideas based on the forge for the Star Killer it wouldn't be too far off from the connection to Revan.

Lastly there is the small fact that Ren is a shortened form of Revan, it just takes out the VA in the word.

Snoke could very well be an advisor to the Emperor who knew about Malachor from Palpatine. Given that the Advisors of the Emperor were also some what force senstive it wouldn't be too hard to see him journey to Malachor and discover the Sith temples and other places where dark energy occurs. If we go on the idea of Luke seeking out the first Jedi temple, it wouldn't be too much of a leap in logic that the FO and Snoke were using the True Sith Temple on Malachor to train Ben and the Knights and then using the plans that were there to build the Star Killer based on the work of Revan and his followers.

For simplicity sake, (and let's call the advisor Bob for this), Bob found out about Malachor and presented himself as Snoke a great leader and used the knowledge he gained about the Empire and running the galaxy to work with the FO. My guess he's trying to locate the remains of the ancient sith empire and probably re establish it, since the old Sith ran into the Unknown regions.

11. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    There is an interesting quote from GL about the Whills. Apparently George meant R2 to tell the Whills the story of the OT a hundred years after it happened.

12. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    How about Doke? Poke? Or Snoke the Bloke?

13. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I just kind of figured that Snoke was derived from Snake, with a switched out vowel. With the biblical serpent being the one to corrupt with temptation.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    My idea. Snoke is a really ancient Dark Side user with access to powers that even the Sith cannot use. Advanced healing/regeneration by drawing power from the Force beyond what we've seen before, the ability to project himself into people's heads (hence he could seduce Ben even when he was with his parents and Luke, and might try to do the same to Rey). But he cares nothing for the Sith and their ideology, feeling them to be weak and short-sighted.

Ages ago, het tried to take over, but was (barely) defeated. He survived, but was so weakened that it's taken him ages to regain his strength. Sheev had learned about his powers and wanted to learn from him, but was rebuffed (Snoke was drawing power from the various conflicts/turmoil over the ages. He also encountered Darth Vader, who offered him an alliance to overthrow Sheev. Snoke declined, as the time was not yet right, but was sufficiently impressed by Vader that he told Vader to return later and he might reconsider. But of course ROTJ happened, rendering that idea moot.

Snoke seized on the opportunity left by Sheev's death and created the FO to suit his own interests (he actually cares nothing for their goals/ideology, they're a tool for him). He also co-opted the Dark Side worshiping warrior cult, the Knights of Ren. But seeing Luke Skywalker's growing power/knowledge, and potential new Jedi, as a potential threat, he corrupted Luke's young nephew Ben, talented but unstable, and sent him to destroy the new Jedi.

And now, he wishes to be rid of Luke, who is the last major threat to his big plans.

15. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Everything so far has been tied together so I'm guessing Snoke is somehow tied to Vader or Sidious or both. I'm leaning toward Snoke being a former inquisitor or secret apprentice that was sent out on a mission to unknown regions of the Galaxy by Sidious to gain further knowledge of the dark side and he did find something, but while he was gone the Empire fell and so he hatched a plan to have the remnants come to him to regroup.

16. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    I think that he's much older than either Sheev or Vader. And that Sheev wanted to learn from him/understand his power.

17. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Hmmm, this explains why Snoke looks so aged in TFA... If he's really serving as Sheev Palpatine's advisor, so many years ago, then Snoke is definitely an old fellow with tons of knowledge on both the former Empire as well as the present First Order.

Snoke may even have been a rival to Yoda, from several hundred years ago, which explains why he's got such a hatred towards the Jedi!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Idea-person: "Let's think of some evil villain names, people. Sheev...Snape...Sidious...something sinister...something beginning with an "s" perhaps...Smote...Shoat...Smoke...I got it! Snoke!"
    Other Idea-person: "Maybe we should try using it in a sentence...."
    Idea-person: "Nah! It's good!"
    Leia: "It was Snoke who seduced our son to the Dark Side."
    Audience: "...................................."

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  19. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I never had a problem with the name, EXCEPT when Leia says it. That line just felt weird coming from Leia to begin with, since it seems like something Luke or Obi-Wan would say, not General Leia.

When Hux says Snoke, it never bothered me.

Plus Grievous was a stupid name. Gunray is silly. Plagueis is silly. People forget about it. I'm sure given time, Snoke's name will be accepted like all the others.

20. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Count Dooku, Darth Sidious, Darth Tyrannus, Savage Opress, Darth Maul, etc. Yeah, SW has a long history or either dumb-sounding, or incredibly on the nose villain names/titles. Oh and also "Sheev Palpatine," lets not forget about that.

TaradosGon likes this.
  21. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Maybe, he knows what happened in the thrown room on DS 2, so I'm thinking there's got to be some connection to the Sith. Either someone was sent to the unknown regions and found power and kept it or found Snoke there.

22. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Is that even canon? I've literally never heard Palpatines first name before. It's not in the films or TCW. Is it in any of the canon books? Or is it an abandoned EU name?

23. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    Since the Emperor required no cybernetics in the OT as the ultimate bad guy, I was hoping Snoke would to create more of a distinction. It doesn't seem like that's the case, although we can't say for sure yet because we haven't seen his body beneath his neck. Maybe he has large cybernetics/life support devices implanted into his body. That would be a cool idea to explore.

24. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Will we see a Luke vs Snoke battle? Some say Luke is what Anakin would be had he not turned. Even more powerful than Yoda/Palps. How powerful would Snoke have to be to face Luke then? I want to see it.

25. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015

Yea they should have named him something better like Lord Tyranasaurus Rex... Oh wait

It's just a name. Does it really matter?

rumblewagon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.