main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Andy Serkis (Supreme Leader Snoke) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    those animals are also feared or revered as well as sharks and others. the big difference between those and snakes is that snakes are so alien in comparison. mammals have limbs, etc.

2. Bad Feeling

Bad Feeling Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2015
    The name Snoke is very troubling.

Whoever eventually kills Luke better be, well, preferably a Darth in front of his name and preferably not Darth Snoke.

3. Bad Feeling

May 21, 2015
    Snoke might even be a deal breaker for me, along with all the rumors. I really don't like how this film sounds. The teasers look great though. But....I can edit almost any film and make it look great.

4. Bad Feeling

May 21, 2015
    I obviously have a bad feeling about this.

KSennia likes this.
  5. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Senator/Emperor Palpatine - Darth Sidious
    Count Dooku - Darth Tyranus
    Supreme Leader Snoke - Darth ???

6. Bad Feeling

May 21, 2015
    Talk me off the ledge here...

7. Edgar Allen Poe Dameron

Edgar Allen Poe Dameron Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    I'm surprised at the dislike of the name. Considering the history of Star Wars names it fits perfectly. If a character was announced today with the name Lando, Boba, or Ackbar we'd probably be reading the same things.

8. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    We could get into a long debate about this, but it would be too off topic. I would make a few points though:

1) My team psychiatrist is also a neurologist that I work with every day; the idea of these kinds of instinctual fears changing our culture is mostly NOT believed; you are talking a small minority there (again, I am talking snakes in particular, we don't culturally hate a lot of animals that are dangerous that we are not taught to worship or love; I am referring to the connection between culturally hating snakes and instinctual fear of them). There is no real debate that humans have far more learned behavior than animals; we are mostly NOT instinctual. Just HOW MUCH of our behavior is nature is debated, but there is no debate that it is much less than animals. Therefore, it is FAR MORE likely that it is NOT instinctual, and is taught, since just on pure percentages we have much more learned behavior. There are few cultures that teach snake worship, so the broad generalizations that were being made about east and west would not stand if we were instinctually hating snakes with the exception of the cultures that worship them. The vast majority of the population in the east does not engage in snake worship, and is not taught so much in the positive about snakes that it would counteract their instincts.

2) I would draw your other example together with snakes hatred- I think these cultural views of abstinence as well as snakes have more to do with religious teachings. And remember, these cultural view on abstinence don't take away a persons drive to have sex, so if we instinctually hate snakes, teachings wouldn't take that away, they would just change our superficial attitude like those of abstinence. I think the 2 (fear of snakes vs sex) are not a good comparison in terms of instinct; one is indisputably instinctual, the other is quite questionable.

9. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    Will we get a first look at Snoke with the Theatrical Trailer or will JJ keep him in the mystery box until Dec 18th? I would assume he will appear in the trailer but with him at the helm it's less than clear.

10. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015

It just sounds bad to me especially for the name of the top baddie. Palpatine wasn't great but it surely wasn't Snoke either. I guess Dooku was pretty ridiculous also.

11. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    how are we pronouncing this?
    [​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

thejeditraitor likes this.
  12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    How Snoke should respond to lightsabers:

or

Dra--- likes this.
  13. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    How Snoke should respond to anything Kylo does
    [​IMG]
    :p

14. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013

First off, Luke Skywalker had better freaking not die on screen, ever, period, the end.

Second off, thank you to whomever found that gorgeous depiction of Eve and shared it with us. :)

15. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Darth Sinder (sin + cinder)

Just thinking out loud Bad Feeling.

16. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    I've been thinking about the possibility of McQuarrie's art serving as inspiration for Snoke's depiction, and the ROTJ 'Lava' Throne Room art below, lead me to wonder does Snoke = Surtr?

[​IMG]

It's probably dangerous to equate Star Wars characters too closely with any one specific mythological character, as there have traditionally been a wide berth of fictional and real world influences on the saga, but I think that the Sutr thing is interesting enough to post here...so I will!

As many of you will know, Surtr, or Surt ( Soort http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/surt ) was king of the fire giants in Norse mythology. Thought of as one of the oldest beings in the universe, Surtr's was traditionally a major enemy of the Norse gods, and he was the directly responsible for the events of Ragnarok, the end ( and rebirth ) of the universe. His dwelling place is a underground volcanic cavern. Similar to McQuarrie's? throne room?

Also, from here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surtr

Surtr is mentioned twice in the poem Völuspá, where a völva divulges information to the god Odin. The völva says that, during Ragnarök, Surtr will come from the south with flames, carrying a very bright sword:
    Following this, the völva says that "stone peaks clash", "troll wives take to the road", "warriors tread the path from Hel", and the heavens "break apart". The next stanza relates that Odin is to be killed by the wolf Fenrir, and that Surtr will go to battle against "Beli's bane", a kenning for the god Freyr, who slew the giant Beli. No further detail is given about the fight between Surtr and Freyr in the poem. In the stanzas that follow, a number of gods and their opponents are described as doing battle at Ragnarök, and that the world will be consumed in flames, yet afterward a new world rises from the sea, fertile and teeming with life, and the surviving gods will meet again

"amid this turmoil the sky will open and from it will ride the sons of Muspell. Surtr will ride in front, and both before and behind him there will be burning fire. His sword will be very fine. Light will shine from it more brightly than from the sun." High continues that when the sons of Múspell ride over the bridge Bifröst it will break, and that they will continue to the field of Vígríðr. The wolf Fenrir and the Midgard Serpent will also arrive there. By then, Loki will have arrived with "all of Hel's people", Hrym, and all of the frost jötnar; "but Muspell's sons will have their own battle array; it will be very bright". Further into the chapter, High describes that a fierce battle will erupt between these forces and the Æsir, and that during this, Surtr and Freyr will engage in battle "and there will be a harsh conflict before Freyr falls". High adds that the cause of Freyr's death will be that Freyr is lacking "the good sword" that he once gave his servant Skírnir.[13]
    Some have speculated that Rey's story may have echoes of Brunnhilde, so could Snoke share similarities with Surtr? Perhaps the First Order are devoted to a kind of apocalyptic cleansing of the GFFA, to birth a new 'better' galaxy from the ashes? In this scenario, is Kylo Ren Loki?

Ragnarok, the gods were destined to be defeated by the forces of evil led by Loki. After a winter of exceptional severity that lasted three years (seven in some accounts), known as the Fimbul winter, the Midgard serpent came out of the sea breathing out poisons and causing great floods; the wolves Hati, Managarm and Skoll finally swallowed the sun and the moon; Garm, Fenris and Loki broke their bonds; the dragon Nidhogg finally ate through the roots of Yggdrasil; the cockerels crew and Heimdall blew his horn to warn the gods that the end was approaching. Loki's ship landed a force from Muspelheim and another ship brought the Frost Giants from the north. They were reinforced by Hel and Nidhogg and by Sutr and his sons who smashed the Bifrost bridge as they rode over it. In the ensuing battle on Vigrid plain the gods were defeated. Odin was eaten by the wolf Fenris; Frey was killed by Sutr, Heimdall by Loki, Tyr by Garm, and Thor drowned in the poison of the Midgard serpent after he had killed it. Vidar, arriving late, put his one large foot on the bottom jaw of Fenris and, taking the top jaw in his hands, pulled the wolf apart. Sutr then set the world on fire with his flaming sword and the earth sank beneath the waves.

17. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    What if Snoke is Anakin's lost brother?

18. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    Flaming Sword = Crossgaurd saber ?? Maybe????

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Bad Feeling : Please use the Edit function to add to your posts, instead of making multiple back-to-back posts. Thanks.

Bad Feeling likes this.
  20. Mungo Baobab

Dec 2, 2014

Well, maybe. There's all sorts of potentially relevant imagery in Sutr myth, but it's hard to know for sure whether any of it applies to TFA. It could be an influence, though!

Coincidentally, there's obviously a strong Icelandic connection with the production of TFA, and there's this:
    Place names and modern influence[edit]

Surtshellir, a group of volcanic tunnels in western Iceland recorded in the Landnámabók manuscript, is named after Surtr. In modern Iceland, the notion of Surtr as a giant of fire lives on;Surtsey ("Surtr's island"), a volcanic island that appeared in 1963 in Vestmannaeyjar, Iceland, is named after Surtr. The description found in Gylfaginning of Surtr guarding the frontier of Múspell is depicted in John Charles Dollman's painting The Giant with the Flaming Sword.[2]

Dak Oolron and Wildcatbarry like this.
  21. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    With the addition of the Flame troopers everything you pointed out makes sense Master Mungo.

22. Mungo Baobab

Dec 2, 2014

Ah, good one!

23. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    Since we are getting this Nazi'esk vibe from the images we have seen so far, I would lean toward Snoke being a charismatic speaker like Hitler. Especially if he is having parades a la Nuremberg. Tall, slender alien who knows how to speak. Makes sense why he would slot into the roll of The First Order. Instead of the quiet calm speaking politician in Sheev, we get a firebrand in Snoke.

24. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    so, has the plageuis = snoke possibility completely ruled out? i mean is anyone like 99% sure from reports?

25. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    Not completely ruled out but there is a very slim, like almost non existent chance of him being Plaguies.

thejeditraitor and Wildcatbarry like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.