main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Andy Serkis (Supreme Leader Snoke) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by dlbates, Dec 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    Since Snoke is essentialy a narrative tool in the ST (which is fine IMO) and is now gone his story wont be something complicated or at least not something that makes him look like the ultimate evil (origin of the dark side, ancient prophet ....). From what we can gather from the novels and stuff Snoke is a mortal being who appears to be a dark sider too (just like there are other factions of force users) who went on a quest for ancient knowledge. When Palpatine died he seized the opportunity to take over the remnants of the Empire who hid in the unknown regions where Snoke was -in his journey to Force knowledge-. Except for his wounds it seems there's no big secret left.

So back in the days when we all wondered who Snoke was, the answer was the simolest one: a "normal" force-sensitive guy who went on a personal quest for knowledge about the Force and explored t he unknown region to find ancient lore and eventually became a master of the dark side.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    darklordoftech likes this.
  2. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I don’t know how normal he was. He appears to have had a lot of potential. Then knowledge, training, and experience developed him into the most powerful Force User in canon.

Even so, I like how he didn’t upstage my boy Sheev. I was worried if Sheev had been manipulated by Snoke and everything was going how Snoke had theoretically ‘foreseen’. So, more powerful, but the biggest baddie in the Saga.

Like Sheev, about whom we still know so little, we will have to be patient with the Canon EU.

Mungo Baobab likes this.
  3. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    I think Filoni will tell at least part of Snoke's story. There may even be an announcement after Rebels ends next week.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  4. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Don’t tease me. ;)

Filoni is GL’s Heir Apparent.

Above I should have said Snoke may have been the Most Powerful Dark Sider in canon, but NOT the biggest baddie. That’s still Sheev. He’ll, I love Sheev even in old EU and new EU audiobooks, my only access to the new novels.

Oh, and how could I forget the Dark Lord of the Seth? What the hell’s an Aluminum Falcon?

EDIT

This?
    http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/02/21/star-wars-animated-series-rebels-resistance/

Great!

Mungo Baobab likes this.
  5. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    darklordoftech and themoth like this.
  6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    This. He could have been some Imperial Admiral who did some research on his boss.

7. Darth Geezy

Darth Geezy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    Darth Maul was merely a Sith apprentice, in the shadows of a main character that we already knew. Basically, he was a newcomer character essentially at the very beginning of the movie series. Snoke on the other hand is/was for all intents and purposes "the big baddie," that everyone in the First Order seemingly worshipped, and appeared to be one of the most powerful/feared dark force users we have seen to this date. Not only that, but his appearance is ancient and seemingly has some sort of mortal wounds to his head, showing that he went through some sort of significant event at some point.

Our sandbox was already set with who the villains are. To have a random guy show up with this much respect within his ranks and with this much ability with no explanation whatsoever is completely different than Darth Maul or Sidious. It's bad storytelling to introduce someone like this with no explanation when you consider that we are in part 8 of a saga.

Shadao likes this.
  8. Darth Geezy

Darth Geezy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    I wouldn't say that just yet. Like I have stated, maybe his random, seemingly out of place death was done so that we could see just how powerful he is.

At some point in this saga, since it was mentioned, I feel as though we will see someone cheat death at some point, even if they were sliced in half (or given a crater sized mortal wound to the head).

9. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

Sep 16, 2015
    it's possible indeed...although i struggle picturing an 8 ft tall humanoid alien bring an imperial (apart fro his blue skin and red eyes Thrawn looks more human). My guess is just like we have the church of the force, the sisters of dathomir or the order of romulus, Snoke was perhaps part of a cult/people that was mystical or something, worshipping the force. And since he was force sensitive he learnt the ways of the force through his resrach?

10. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Which is the point. Over two movies so far it'd be very easy to inject some of the most basic of basics about Snoke. Clearly he's a Sidious fan who wants to recreate the Sith, the Empire, Vader etc but does so by recreating the pieces but changing the names.

The approach in the ST with Snoke should have been akin to the Emperor in the OT with the additional interspersing of information from the PT.

So it'd be like knowing that the Emperor was Supreme Chancellor Palpatine but really was Darth Sidious, Dark Lord of the Sith. Over 3 movies you'd drops bits of information into various scenes from various characters about how he manipulated himself from Senator to Chancellor, created the Clone War conflict, Order 66 purged the Jedi, seduced Anakin Skywalker to the Dark Side through Anakin's wife Padme and his desire for power to save her etc.

So you seed this things into the movies through various ways and means and THEN you expand them in books and comics.

No they didn't. They were the Sith. Ancient enemies of the Jedi and practitioners of the Dark side of the Force.

Then we find out over 3 movies that in fact Palpatine is Sidious. Maul was trained by Sidious as a violent instrument against the Jedi. Dooku then became the next apprentice and he was a Jedi before that.

Even the most basic things about Snoke are not known from the movies.

Shadao, Darth Geezy and JDN21 like this.
  11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wish they gave Snoke's role to Mas Amedda or Sly Moore.

Shadao and Darth Smurf like this.
  12. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    Not sure if this has already been suggested but, with the most recent episodes of Rebels, could it be possible that Snoke came from the “world between worlds”? Literally stepping out of the past through the Force? Just a random thought I had today.

13. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

Sep 16, 2015
    From Rian Johnson's point of view, Snoke was a just a narrative tool to reach this point: the apprentice finally taking the place of his (evil) mentor. Which is something we haven't seen yet. So the focus is on Kylo Ren, now supreme leader. Of course JJ can undo all this but this would greatly undermine Kylo Ren/Ben's journey. Could Snoke return as a force ghost? who knows. My feeling is his story ends with TLJ. We'll find out more in novels and stuff but regarding the movies he's not that important (unlike Palpatine who was the real ennemy in the OT, Vader being somehow his puppet).

Lost_Hope likes this.
  14. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Pretty much. I think there’s enough to infer what happened. I knew they weren’t going to go the “Darth Plagueis” route, or anything relating to the Sith, and it’s pretty much just what appears on screen: another dark side dude who existed elsewhere in the galaxy who took over what was left of the Empire.

I wouldn’t call this a disappointment, just underwhelming. Makes perfect sense for the story that they’re telling. There’s other just dark side masters, other Death Stars, and other rebellions ready to rise up whenever the plot needs them.

15. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Fine. But we’ve had 8 movies with Sidious and 2 canonical TV series and still don’t know much. Ironic how Luke sums up the PT in TLJ.

16. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Of course we do.

Well he doesn't really which is the point since there is 6 movies covering that.

Shadao likes this.
  17. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Meant backstory.

18. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    We know enough about Sidious to know what's going on. The movies haven't presented us nearly enough information to know how Snoke took over the Empire and how we went from Ewoks banging on Stormtrooper heads to Stormtroopers shooting villagers 30 years later with a Starkiller planet.

The new info seems to indicate that the backstory is the most obvious. Powerful, hidden dark sider character is written in to just take over what was left and rebuild it.

MrElculver2424 and Shadao like this.
  19. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015
    If you just go by what was shown on screen Snoke was the most powerful of all of them.

20. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    No, we still don’t know much about Sids. From the movies. And Luke is far more concise than a lot of blowhards here.

21. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I think a big reason for people not liking how Snoke was handled in TLJ was that they spent so much time combing through the various canon materials to look for bits of lore that may or may not support who he is, and felt like they were owed some kind of reward for doing so in the film itself. They wanted their fan theories and obsessive knowledge of the lore of the universe to be validated, narrative utility be damned.

TK327 and The Legions of Lettow like this.
  22. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    I didn't do any of that. I don't comb through books and novels or lore theories. I just wanted an explanation for how Snoke came to lead the FO after the Empire was destroyed. That wasn't asking much, I don't think. The fact that nothing, literally nothing, was answered, was totally inexcusable.

Perhaps the most physically powerful, but one of the dumbest IMO. Nowhere near the smartest.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    lawton and Shadao like this.
  23. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011

I get wanting to know something, but it really wasn't that essential to the story. I don't see why they really needed to explain his origin.

24. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    They didn't need to for the story. I disapprove of the entire story direction, which not giving Snoke any story was a crucial part of.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Darth Smurf likes this.
  25. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Well said.
    And we still know nothing of Sheev’s origin.

lawton likes this.