So CO Andy Warhol Exhibit in Colorado Springs

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Zoom_Cthooga, Oct 13, 2005.

Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  2. BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler

star 5
    I've never been a big Warhol fan, but you can't deny his work had an impact. I wonder if I could talk my family into making the trip up...
  3. Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Nobody had to be a fan. It was all about marketing. The only people that mattered were the people with money that were just waiting for a new print. All he cared about was money and fame. He was awesome.

And David Bowie playing him in most of the biographical movies is just as awesome.

He capitalized on peoples' need to soak up every piece of media whorage out there. Just like Uncle George is doing with all of his action figures...but he doesn't have a cool wig. Andy Warhol's spirit is at the center of every force fed product line out there. Everyone with a degree in marketing should be made to study what he did -- not his art -- but what he did.

His art wasn't cranking prints or paintings -- his art was making money.
  4. Darth_Nast_T Jedi Master

star 2
    Wait a minute... I thought artist were supposed to be starving... you know - "suffering for their art."

I suppose having your fingernails stained black by ink from making prints would be considered suffering by some people...
  5. Imperial_Birrer Jedi Master

star 4
    hmm. His stuff is interesting.

Bob, if you make the trip up let us know.
  6. Kaety Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, I would have to say that I was greatly impacted by the 15 foot tall Tomoato Soup can that was installed next to the Poudre River in Fort Collins as I drove by it every day...

...I guess it brought art to the bums who lived under that bridge and definitely added color to north College Ave. as it set off the Tatoo parlor and the Liquor store quite nicely. And I think it raised awareness of the homeless soup kitchen that was around the corner too.

:p

I do have to wonder what it cost and who made the profit on it?
  7. Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus

star 6
    That's only art student's or painters. If you are a graphic artist, computer artist, sculpter or any other type of artist that can get a job with a corporate company you can make big bucks (or at least live decently)

Oh, and then there's the crazy artists, but they chop off body parts while painting sunflowers and cyprus trees.
  8. Darth_Nast_T Jedi Master

star 2
    Ahhhh... But is "corporate art" really "art"?

Hmmm...

9. Imperial_Birrer Jedi Master

star 4
    if interpretive dance is art I say let the corporate giants have some art.
  10. Kaety Jedi Master

star 4
    I think I am going to make a giant pile of dirty laundry out of steel.

It could symbolize the constance of laundry in the lives of all Americans. We all have laundry. It could be the bond that brings us all together and culminates in World Peace!

Do you think I could make some $$$$$$?
  11. Darth_Nast_T Jedi Master

star 2
    Interpretive dance? Is that like miming? Are mimes artists? Hmmm...

I heard about interpretive mud-wrestling once... Is that art?
  12. Imperial_Birrer Jedi Master

star 4
    art is what ever ppl want it to be. I saw a few picks a while back where ppl painted in body fluids.
  13. Darth_Nast_T Jedi Master

star 2
    Sorry, I don't buy that...

Art is more than simply the declaration that something is "art".

Art requires more than "shock value".
  14. Imperial_Birrer Jedi Master

star 4
    I think art is expression , how ever weird it might be.
  15. Mistress Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Art is the direct or indirect result of a creative process. Thats it.

And although I've always kinda held my gorge down from sheer will while looking at his prints, I agree with Zoom that Warhols art was his ability to make money from crap. He laughed all the way to the bank...go Andy.
  16. Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    It's funnier than you think. By the time he was killed, he was at the point where he didn't even know how much money he had. He'd just have his personal accountant and lawyer hang out with him all the time and they'd handle everything so he could party.
  17. BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler

star 5

Ahh, to only have that problem...
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby