main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ANH: BEN KNOW LUKE AND LUKE KNOWS BEN??

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Snaggleass, Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snaggleass

Snaggleass Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2004
    Isn't it strange how Ben knows EXACTLY when Luke is in trouble with the sand people? Also, how does he know what Luke looks like? He hasn't seen him (if ever) in 20 years. Also, Luke knows Ben? What's going on??

2. Genrader

Genrader Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2003
    I think Luke has met Ben several times before, but they're not really good friends or anything.

3. Snaggleass

Oct 6, 2004
  4. Snaggleass

Oct 6, 2004
    I don't know it's possible I suppoose. We'll have to see when ROTS comesout in 40 days. Also, does Chewie meet Ben in Rots? I made a thread about this a while back, but I wonder...hmmmmm

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well, answering those would be considered spoilers and not allowable here anyway. (Not that I could answer because I'm not spoiled).

As to your original question... why is it strange that Ben should know where Luke is and when he's in trouble? He's on Tatooine for the express purpose of watching Luke and waiting for the right time to be able to train him. It's not like he has much better to do. Plus, there's that whole 'Force' issue, eh? ;)

And yes, it seems evident from ANH that Luke has met/seen Ben before but maybe not in a while. The old man seems somewhat of a local legend.

-sj loves kevin spacey

6. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    It's been established (in the SW radio drama and elsewhere) that at least a few years earlier, Luke and his friend, Windy, were thrown from a dewback and became lost in the dunes. Obi-Wan showed up and guided them back to the farm, where Owen promptly ran him off.

(Though some sources say Luke was alone and crashed his Skyhopper, instead of being thrown from a dewback with a friend.)

7. ShadowJedi05

ShadowJedi05 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    well earlier in the movie Luke is the one who brings up Ben Kenobi to begin with so he at least knows who he is even if he doesn't actually know him. And even if he hasn't met Ben, how many old men in robes can there be wandering in the Jundland Wastes? =oP

8. Jawas_Poodoo

Jawas_Poodoo Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 8, 2005
    luke had at least one previous encounter with ben (mentioned earlier). kenobi had also become a source of folk tales in the region (as there wasn't much else to talk about on that part of tatooine). it also seems reasonable that the old jedi had to venture into anchorhead or mos eisley on occasion to pick up supplies and gather information. he may have met luke or his friends on one of these occassions as well.

9. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Ben knows Luke. Luke knows Ben He even told the droids that he knew of a Ben Kenobi. Ben Kenobi even heard that Luke had become a good pilot. So they know each other before Artoo ran away.

10. Snaggleass

Oct 6, 2004
    Funny how Luke doesn't know Ben's name is Obi-Wan. Hmmmmmmm

11. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    ben has not gone by the name obi wan since arivving on tatooine. so thats not a mystery that luke has never heard of obi wan.

I think luke and ben have met on a few occasions, enough that owen has had to tell luke to stay away from him.

they do reconize each other when ben finds luke.
    also no coincidence ben showed up in time r2 was looking for obi wan so he was heading in the general direction that he should have been. looks like bail and leia had decent info on exactly where to find the long lost jedi.

12. Snaggleass

Oct 6, 2004
    True. Makes sense based on the movie. But then again, Ben lies a lot. "I haven't gone by the name Obi-Wan since ohhh before you were born." Truth? Just like "A young jedi named Darth Vader killed your father."

13. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    It does not matter if you live on a barren planet or a small farm in Iowa. People are going to know each other. Or at least know of each other.

In TPM many people had an idea of little Anakin Skywalker. Most likely, becasue there was not much going on on Tatooine everyone knew who he was after he won the Pod race.

In the case of Luke and Ben you are going to know your neighbors at least in some way.

I don't think Ben lived to far away from Owen, Beru and Luke. Most likely is was only a few miles away at most. Chances are Ben made it a point of telling Luke not to let Uncle Owen know that they have been in contact.

We all know how distrought Owen got when Luke mentioned if the Droids belonged to Ben.

This is not a spoiler...

Owen knew that one day Ben would try and recruit Luke. Owen felt it better to deny any past existances.

14. ShadowJedi05

ShadowJedi05 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    True. Makes sense based on the movie. But then again, Ben lies a lot. "I haven't gone by the name Obi-Wan since ohhh before you were born." Truth? Just like "A young jedi named Darth Vader killed your father."

It's not lying, it's the truth from a certain point of view :D

15. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Why would Luke know about the name Obi-wan? I doubt he'd be walking around, flashing that name left and right. That'd be the equivalent of signing a death warrant. On top of that, with the Jedi being extinct for at least ten to twenty years, why use a Jedi name? People think the Jedi are dead, and I doubt Old Ben wants them to think otherwise.

16. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    They were probably both on line at the general store.

LUKE: Hey, what do you do? I'm a moisture farmer.

BEN: I'm an old hermit.

LUKE: Cool, cool ...

17. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    EDIT - Nevermind.

18. Snaggleass

Oct 6, 2004
    A certain point of view....could be true...sort of like somebody saying " The Man's Nuts. Grab'em!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.