main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ANH Chapter 35: The Walls Close In DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Moleman1138, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Due to the success of the PT CBC discussions, I would like to discuss ANH chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 47 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 1: Opening Logos, Chapter 2: A New Hope and Chapter 50: End Credits.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 35: The Walls Close In
    DISCUSSION: April 6, 2005 - April 10, 2005
    DVD TIME INDEX: 81:26 - 84:55

Synopsis:
    The walls continue to creak. Han says he has a bad feeling about the situation. The walls begins to close in compressing the compactor. They all look for something to brace the walls and stop the compression. Chewie pushes on the side of the wall. Leia finds a long pole and Luke, Leia and Han grab a hold of it. The walls continue to close in. Luke realizes that he can contact Threepio and pulls out his comlink. Imperial Stormtroopers storm the Command Center and intercept a hiding Threepio and Artoo. The Imperials take control of the station. Threepio gives away the entire plan. The Imperials leave to confront the rebels except for one trooper. Threepio picks up the comlink, but is confronted by the one Stormtrooper. Hoping the leave the vicinity, Threepio tells the trooper that he needs to take Artoo to Maintenance. Back in the trash compactor, the walls continue to close in. The pole touches the other wall, still trying to stop the compression. Threepio and Artoo reach the hangar. Luke gets a hold of Threepio and orders a shutdown of all garbage mashers on the detention level. Artoo hurries as fast he can and saves the day in the nick of time. Luke, Han and Leia scream in joy. Threepio thinks he killed them until Luke says that they're okay. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    Picking up immediately where the last chapter left off, we get more action and a better rounded chapter than the previous. It's just so well done that I wish it would just not come to an end.

Like the previous chapter, I love the trash compactor scene. The use of pole perfectly shows Leias skills of resourcefulness in times of peril, even though the chapter centers more on Luke and Threepio more than anything. The building tension is well maintained, ending in a memorable climax to the trash compactor scene. Especially the blame that Threepio put on himself.

The scene in the Command Center is just as good. The Imperial takeover should be serious but it's not. I still am not sure whether or not Threepio meant to give the plan of the heroes away. Whether being caught up in the moment or trying to create a diversion, it surely worked in the long run. I love Threepio's excuse to leave the command station and the "you" stormtrooper buys it.

The exchange between Threepio and Luke is well executed and as I said before. Threepio's blame and expression are classic for such a scene. Great dialogue and it all comes down to cutting it close. Good chapter.

2. Loopster

Loopster Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 26, 2000
    I always thought Leia's "Don't just stand there, try and brace it with something" sounded like it was delivered by Rocky of Rocky and Bullwinkle fame.

Makes me laugh everytime I hear it.

Great scene, but then aren't they all in ANH?

3. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). ANH Chapter 36: Deactivating the Tractor Beam DISCUSSION will be made available 3:00 PM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.