main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ANH Chapter 44: Luke and Biggs DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Moleman1138, Jun 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Due to the success of the PT CBC discussions, I would like to discuss ANH chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 47 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 1: Opening Logos, Chapter 2: A New Hope and Chapter 50: End Credits.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 44: Luke and Biggs
    DISCUSSION: June 30, 2005 ? July 4, 2005
    DVD TIME INDEX: 102:33 ? 104:57

Synopsis:
    The pilots are getting ready for the approaching endgame. Leia comes over to Luke, who getting ready for battle. She senses something is wrong. He say it?s Han. He though that the pirate could change. Leia says that he?s going to have to this himself and it?s nothing anybody can do. He wishes that Obi-Wan was still with them. She kisses him on the cheek, trying to give him some hope. Luke runs into Biggs. They are extremely happy to see each other. Luke said he?d make it one day. The lead pilot comes over and wonders if he can handle the ship. Biggs assures him that Luke?s the best pilot in the Outer Rim territory. The lead pilot says that he?ll do well. Luke climbs into his X-Wing. The mechanic asks if he wants a new R2 unit. Luke says absolutely not and asks his droid companion if he?s okay. Threepio says his own goodbye. The X and Y-wings take off. Obi-Wan in Force form tells Luke that the Force will be with him. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    This is yet another transitional scene before the big battle at the end of the movie. Luckily it is the last and we can get back to some of that action. This scene really is all about Luke in his interaction with his family and friends.

Leia is the compassionate one as seen before, trying to comfort Luke. She knew that Han would pull one over on them and Luke wouldn?t be too happy after all they went through, but even up to this point it?s still a job to Han. He only cares about himself and Leia sees it. She is a rock in a sense like Padme has always been to Anakin.

Then when Luke meets up with Biggs, it?s completely different. That segment is all about the flyboy tactics and good times. So Luke does go from one extreme to the other. He just has a compassionate talk to Leia and here he is having a good time. A little jumpy in my opinion, but if you see a friend you haven?t in months, I guess it could work.

The Threepio and R2 exchange reminds me so much of Padme?s veranda in ROTS. They?re being separated by what their master feels to be right. They have such a bond and you have got to love Threepio?s line ending this. Good chapter.

2. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    the beginning and end to this chapter shine. but the middle doesnt fit well.

The luke biggs scene was not in the original version and i can see why it was originally cut out.
    There is a heart felt tak with Leai, then a happy chat with Biggs, then heart felt scene with R2 and 3P0

Personally, i like the idea of showing lukes friends that he had mentioned earlier in the film, and also addressing the question (albeit picky) why the rebels just let luke fly one of seemingly 15 X-Wings, when he hasnt proven himself.

but , i think that exchange would be better kept on the special features menu...

that said, it is how it is, so i suppose any additional ANH footage is good footage.

I think the scene shows a true bond between luke and leai, and how they have the same mindset in this all. possibly they exchange a final goodbye.

Then the scene when luke is asked if he wants an new R2. Even if you start watching the saga with Episode IV, or with I , you as an on looker know even more than luke does that there is know way youd want any other droid than R2 as your co-piolot.

it just signifies the Importance of R2, and lukes affection towards him, and trust of him...
    another droid, no way!

The final words of 3P0 and R2, also give us another reminder of the brevity of what is to come, do or die for the rebellion...

sets us up for a final battle that will go down in history!

[edit: spelling]

3. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I could have sworn the Red Leader knows Anakin and tells Luke so.

4. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    Interesting...
    i have no recollection of that. If its true, it would change the scene completely for me!

5. generallee5

generallee5 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2003
    In the original edition didn't red leader tell Luke about what a great pilot his father was and how he knew him and all, and then they cut it in the SE because it was revealed in ESB that Vader was Luke's father? I know it's in the novel also.

Anyway, personally I liked the scene. Not that it's my favorite but still a neat scene. We see the compassion side of Leia instead of the die-hard, determined, and courageous idealist who fights for the people of the Rebillion and of the galaxy. We also saw it after Ben's death but still doesn't hurt to see it again. and Luke meets Biggs who we clearly realize is a close friend of his even though we've never seen Biggs before. And then as Moleman1138 said R2 and Threepio's conversation clearly call back to ROTS which I really like how two trilogies 20 years apart can bind together so greatly.

6. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I thought so. That can only mean one thing. Red Leader = Kitster :p Just kidding. But I'm surprised they didn't try and cover that plot hole too.

7. JenM512

JenM512 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2005
    Yes, in the novelization the older pilot told Luke that he knew his father, and that he had been a great pilot.

It had been in the movie too--I had an old behind-the-scenes special that showed them filming that scene, and I remember hearing the older pilot saying something about if Luke had any of his father's skill he'd do all right, and Luke responded with "Thank you sir, I'll try!"

And if you watch the DVD version, another pilot walks in front of all 3 of them during that exchange--that was where the line was cut, because Luke ends it right after that with the "Thank you sir..." line.

8. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). ANH Chapter 45: Assault on the Death Star DISCUSSION will be made available 1:30 PM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.