main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ANH Chapter 47: "Use the Force, Luke" DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Moleman1138, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Due to the success of the PT CBC discussions, I would like to discuss ANH chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 47 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 1: Opening Logos, Chapter 2: A New Hope and Chapter 50: End Credits.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 47: ?Use the Force, Luke?
    DISCUSSION: July 20, 2005 ? July 24, 2005
    DVD TIME INDEX: 115:13 ? 117:42

Synopsis:
    Luke runs the trench with Vader on his tail. He hears Obi-Wan to use the Force and let down. Luke turns off his targeting computer. Base thinks something?s wrong. Luke?s says it?s nothing. Vader blows Artoo a bit. The Death Star is in range. Primary ignition is commenced. Luke and Vader go down the trench. Out of nowhere the Millennium Falcon blasts a fighter, knocking Vader out of aid and giving Luke the opportunity to blow up the Death Star. Vader continues to spin out in space. The rebel ships head back to Yavin 4. The Rebels have won for now. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    This is the last segment of the Death Star battle. It?s really the first confrontation between father and son and it sure won?t be the last. Vader doesn?t know Luke?s his son yet, but senses a great deal of Force from this rebel.

Vader should have realized then and there that was his child since nobody since Order 66 would be that Force-Sensitive. Vader?s not the pilot he used to be, this isn?t Anakin nailing some buzz droids, but Vader still holds up his weight, especially since his only piloting scene in the original trilogy.

It?s also good to hear Alec?s voice again. Seems Obi-Wan does serve a purpose beyond the grave, we all know that down but how many knew that back in 77. I know this goes into EU, but the whole I can?t interfere thing is just wrong. Obi-Wan guided Luke so many times from beyond the grave, but it was the way it was meant to be.

And the Death Star blows up in probably one of the best moments to mark out during this film. A fitting climax to the fourth chapter of the saga. The Empire?s been destroyed and the film could stand on its own if it failed at the box office. There is still hope for a sequel since Vader just goes spinning. Good chapter.

2. jedi-master-kev

jedi-master-kev Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 22, 2005
    the one and only. just pure genious

3. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    =D=

A perfect chapter, the Falcon returning and shooting Vader's ship is one of my favourite movie moments ever. The music is wonderful here, bravo John Williams.

4. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    "No one since order 66 could be force sensitive"? Uh no that isn't the case. All the current Jedi were killed, but that doesn't mean no one else strong in the force couldn't be born.

5. Greedo_forever

Greedo_forever Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2005
    Yeah- I always assumed that when Fate was most strongly in Luke's hands, especially when he was around vader or the emperor, Obi Wan could not do much, or some twist of fate prevented it.

Too bad, eh?

6. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "but Vader still holds up his weight, especially since his only piloting scene in the original trilogy."

He pulls himself out of that random tumble pretty well. That's tough to do. ;)

"All the current Jedi were killed, but that doesn't mean no one else strong in the force couldn't be born."

Correct. Not all Force-sensitives are Jedi.

7. jedi-master-kev

jedi-master-kev Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 22, 2005
  8. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    But should Luke pwn all force-sensitive non-Jedis? I would think so.

9. LukeCloudjogger

LukeCloudjogger Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    This scene will have everyone standing up cheering.

Go Luke! Go Han!

10. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    What is so critically important about this particular chapter is that Luke has to trust his life to the Force.
    It is the first time that he truly has to accept this mystical energy field, to let go, and follow his feelings.

He is all alone in the void of space. R2 becomes disabled, his friends are either dead or retreating, enemy fire is raining down, and the dead hand of Kenobi is able to influence the turn of events. He trusts the voice and allows the Force to flow through him, to guide him.

Just as Han's daring, selfless rescue is a turning point for his character, this is a turning point for Luke.

The first turning point came when he decided to leave Tatooine, this is the second major one in his heroes journey.

-Seldon

11. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    The use of Luke's Theme when Luke makes the decision to switch off his targeting computer is one of my favorite cues in the saga.

12. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    One of my favorite pieces of music in the saga is the piece that follows the explosion as Luke's ship rocks back and forth.

Vader spinning out of control acts as a metaphor for the state of the Empire in the war with the rebels. Things have become out of control and hard to handle. The Alliance has just gained a giant victory. Not just a military victory, but it has mentally shattered the image that this empire is invincible.

-Seldon

13. Constant_shadow

Constant_shadow Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    As I was Checking my email giving some thought to my wording Seldon generally stated my take on this chapter....but I'm posting this anyway.

I think Luke turning off his computer was an act of faith on a few levels. He's learned to put faith in the "old religion" of the jedi by using the force to guide him. He learns to let go and trust himself. He sees the wisdom that comes from Obi-wan.

Han showed he was a good guy he knew what was important, risking his life to help the galaxy. It shows Han is a smuggler with an attitude (for severe lack of better words) but he doesn't have so much pride and self centeredness as to forget others by taking the credits and running. He saw the bigger picture and came back to help his friends.

After the Death Star explodes the Rebels Rejoice over their victory it seems everyone made the right choice.

14. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Constant_shadow posted on 7/22/05 10:52pm
    I think Luke turning off his computer was an act of faith on a few levels. He's learned to put faith in the "old religion" of the jedi by using the force to guide him. He learns to let go and trust himself. He sees the wisdom that comes from Obi-wan.

Han showed he was a good guy he knew what was important, risking his life to help the galaxy. It shows Han is a smuggler with an attitude (for severe lack of better words) but he doesn't have so much pride and self centeredness as to forget others by taking the credits and running. He saw the bigger picture and came back to help his friends.

After the Death Star explodes the Rebels Rejoice over their victory it seems everyone made the right choice.[hr][/blockquote]

You're absolutely right. This is one of my favorite parts of [i]A New Hope[/i] because of that.

15. Masterskippy

Masterskippy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2005
    "WHOO HOO! Ok, kid, let's blow thing thing, and go home!"

That line was more important than Obi-Wan, IMHO, because Han and Chewie were responsible for clearing Luke's back. I know I'm touching on the West End Games RPG, but I remember a story written for the Movie Trilogy Sourcebook stating that Chewie gave Han the riot act about not helping the Rebels, and Han had a change of heart.

That said, I've always thought that Han, even though he didn't believe in the Force, was touched by it in some way. Remember, in ESB, he uses Luke's lightsaber to cut open the taun taun. I've always thought that a lightsaber's blade is weightless. A Force sensitive uses the Force to control their actions when using the blade.

16. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). ANH Chapter 48: A Hero's Welcome DISCUSSION will be made available 12:15 AM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.