main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ANH Chapter 7: Land of the Jawas DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Moleman1138, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Due to the success of the PT CBC discussions, I would like to discuss ANH chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 47 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 1: Opening Logos, Chapter 2: A New Hope and Chapter 50: End Credits.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 7: Land of the Jawas
    DISCUSSION: November 17, 2004 - November 17, 2004
    DVD TIME INDEX: 11:21 - 15:39

Synopsis:
    Artoo moves down a rocky path. A pair of yellow eyes emerge from behind a rock, followed by another. Artoo continues to advance down the path. Another pair of eyes quickly descends from another rock formation. Rocks begin to tumble. Artoo is wondering what is going on. Another pair of eyes quickly moves to the right. Voices start emerging from these creatures. One Jawa comes out of nowhere and stun Artoo, who falls to the ground. The Jawa motions for the rest of them to come out and they do, picking up Artoo and carrying him off to their vehicle, the Sandcrawler. A piece of machinery comes down above Artoo. The Jawas zap Artoo and ascends into the machinery. The Jawas then enter the Sandcrawler. Inside the Sandcrawler, Artoo is lying with a bunch of other droids captured by the small creatures. All the various types of droids start moving around the hold. Artoo moves around and finds C-3PO. The two droids are reunited as the Sandcrawler continues on its' way. In the morning in another part of Tatooine, Stormtroopers on dewbacks are looking for the plans. One of the troopers finds tracks and a piece of metal, resulting in the handiwork of droids. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    In this chapter we get to meet those pesky little Jawas, one of my favorite creatures in the saga. Starting the chapter is the confrontation between Artoo and the Jawas. I still cannot believe that this is the same place filmed at the end of Raiders. Coincidentally genius.

The good thing about this chapter is we see these eyes and don't know who or what they are. We actuallly have to wait a few minutes to find out who they are and what they do. The chapter is well edited and moves at a comfortable pace unlike the previous chapter.

The Sandcrawler is an interesting vehicle. The inside, introducing R5-D4 aka "red" and the Gonk droid, makes this even more science fiction than needed. It's a welcome addition to Jawas segment. Also the reuniting of Threepio and Artoo is touching. Even though we know it's going to happen, those two have too much of a bond together to be separated.

The Special Edition scene with the Stormtroopers and dewbacks is decent, feels partially out of place, since I liked the original scene. The plot's moving along quite nicely right before we introduce one of the most important locations in the entire saga. Good chapter.

2. Darth_Falcon

Darth_Falcon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 11, 2002
    The lack of music, plus seeing just the eyes and the pebbles falling really added to the suspense of the scene, as if we were Artoo. Though, it loses its "shock value" after about 10 viewings ;)

Stormtrooper/Dewback scene is necessary for the storyline and the added special effects just make it look pretty. Though somehow "Look sir, droids" just is a classic line :p

3. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Look sir droids. Gotta love it.

4. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I am wondering....

later Ben says that the stormies attacked the sandcrawler with banthas to make it look like tuskens. but they have dewbacks there.

any why would stormies want to hide the fact that they killed?

5. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    Maybe to incite Jawa-Tusken hatred. A planet of beings who are set at each other's throats are one less potential world to rebel against the Empire.

6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    yeah, but the Empire could handily beat the snot out of the Jawas or Tuskens. anyway, this scene is just fantastic. i liked how Lucas darkened the sky for the SE, since it makes the mood more creepy. the inside of the sandcrawler is terrific in showing what the Jawas do: collecting heaps of old droids. the Gonk droid always makes me laugh, and 3PO's reaction to seeing R2 again always makes me smile a bit.

7. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I didn't realize it until now, but the close date is today the 21st not Nov 17-Nov 17.

Forgiveness please.

GREAT CHAPTER though.

8. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). ANH Chapter 8: Droids for Sale DISCUSSION will be made available 12:00 AM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.