main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ANH Death Star Countdown?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by masterjedi747, Aug 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masterjedi747

masterjedi747 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2004
    Does anyone remember, in A New Hope, when the Death Star was circling around Yavin to aim at the Rebel Base, there was a "countdown" sequence displayed on the vidscreen. They were also announcing the minutes until the Rebel Base was in range. Is it just me, or does that countdown make no sense? It seems to start with only seconds remaining, and minutes later it's still only a couple seconds or so ahead of where it was in the last scene. Does anyone else remember this, and is it something they might fix in the DVDs?

2. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I remember it being in range in 30 minutes, then the countdown started. Then i think it was 5 minutes, 1 minute, 30 seconds. then it was in range...

no probs from my view...

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I agree. The countdown that is said over the intercom or whatever is definetly not in snyc with the visual one that is shown. But then again, that can be said with almost any movie that has some sort of "countdown sequence".

4. Roger Goldleader

Roger Goldleader Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 1, 2000
    No, it's not in sync. Maybe the numbers on the screen will be digitally changed to match the voiceovers on the DVDs?

This raises another question - if they measure time in parsecs in the SW universe, how come the countdown is still in minutes? Is that like "sitting ducks" in TPM? Or OB1 referring to Kamino as being "south" of the Reechee (phonetic) Maze?

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, if you want to be technical, "parsecs" is still a unit of distance in SW, but the unique "geography" of the kessel run allows distance to be shaved off it depending on how good/crazy of a pilot you are.

Also, I seem to recall reading the Rebel countdown display was changed for the SE...hmm.

6. gonktacular

gonktacular Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2004

HAN: Han Solo. I'm captain of the Millennium Falcon. Chewie here tells me you're looking for passage to the Alderaan system.

BEN: Yes, indeed. If it's a fast ship.

HAN: Fast ship? You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon?

BEN: Should I have?

HAN: It's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs!

Ben reacts to Solo's stupid attempt to impress them with obvious misinformation.

HAN: (continued) I've outrun Imperial starships, not the local bulk-cruisers, mind you. I'm talking about the big Corellian shipsnow. She's fast enough for you, old man. What's the cargo?

Ben knows that Han is lying about the whole parsec thing (this is from the official screenplay).

Anyway, about the Death Star thing -- my wife giggles at that every time we watch ANH (did it just last night as a matter of fact). The viewscreen is obviously counting down seconds. :)

7. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    I think when the fighters are taking off it's announced the Death Star will be in range in fifteen minutes.

That's not a heck of a lot of time to fly to the Death Star and blow it up!

Can you imagine the pressure those pilots were under? Most of them seemed to be playing it really cool, though.

If it'd been me, I'd have had a nervous breakdown.

But that's why I'm not a snub fighter pilot.

8. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Countdowns in movies are NEVER in sync with the story. :p Ever notice how many bombs have 2 seconds left and take about 10 to explode? ;)

9. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I hope they've changed the numbers on the screen to aurebesh on the DVD.

10. Dirty-Darth

Dirty-Darth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    But this isnt a matter of a few seconds difference...the clock on the screen would've ended EXACTLY 29 minutes and 30 seconds early lol.

11. b-wingmasterburnz

b-wingmasterburnz Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2004
    I agree. Screwed-up countdowns happen all the time. The worst one I can think of is in Dragon Ball Z when Frieza's like "Five minutes....that's all you have and then KABOOM! this planet will explode!" 12 episodes later he's like "you have one minute left until this planet is no more!" Of course, each episode only did get like 8 minutes of actual episode progression in. The name should be changed to "Draggin' Ball Z"

12. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    [face_laugh] Man, I loved the 2 weeks of that planet's last 5 minutes :D
    My mother watched it, too, but had nightshift for a few days and couldn't see it. When she saw it again, she said "What!? They're still there!??" :D

Ahem, anyway....
    maybe those numbers aren't some kind of countdown clock, but... something... entirely... different... like... some calibration or something. Or a fast-forwarded ETA simulation. o_O
    I'm not making sense, am I?

13. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Vaderbait's right, most movie countdowns are always way off.
    Watch Aliens for a rare example of an accurate countdown...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.