main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ANH Dogfight

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by NateTheGreat, Aug 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NateTheGreat

NateTheGreat Jedi Youngling star 3

May 18, 2003
    The dogfight in ANH, GL said in the AOTC documentary that he got the movement of the x-wings, etc, from an old war movie. Does anyone know which movie it was?

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    It was actual war footage from World War II.

3. NateTheGreat

NateTheGreat Jedi Youngling star 3

May 18, 2003
    Interesting, can anyone expand on this further?

4. Blast

Blast Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    You can see some of the footage in the animatics documentary on the 2nd disk of AotC for those that didnt know.

5. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    The DS Trench Run = Dam Busters.

6. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    Hmm I always thought that he just made it up... but yah I recognize the tactics they used the old Brit bombers would follow a river down and then at the last possible moment drop a "skipping" bomb to blow the dams so that would make since and then the surface attack he probably got from the Battle of Midway or from a battle similar since the lasers resemble flack and such and in the old archival films from the gun cameras it shows tons of flak and such so that makes since... there yah go it's all archival.

7. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    X-Wing to TIE Fighter (ANH) = Spitfire to ME-109 (Battle of Britain)

8. JBRO_13

JBRO_13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    My grandpa was a pilot in WW2 in both Europe and the South Pacific.

He likens the turbolaser turrets to what he calls "pom-pom" guns on enemy ships and near installations on the land.

Also says they always were on missions similar to the Death Star run, where they needed to hit one part of a cruiser or frigate in order to neutralize and/or destroy it.

I thought that was cool.

9. DARTH_CONFEDERATE

DARTH_CONFEDERATE Jedi Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    I was watching this thing on the History Channel about dam busters. I heard exact dialog from ANH, Lucas used real actual recordings from the war in the movie. Sounded just like it.

10. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    When ANH wasn't fully finished yet and Lucas' wanted to show it off to his buddies he used this WW2 footage for the battle of Yavin.

11. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    I don't remember the name of the movie. but it was on amc about a year ago. my wife and I were just flipping through the channels and I came to this old black and white film on amc. the shot was inside the cockpit of a fighter. and the camera was directly in front of the actor. it was almost the exact same angle from the ANH dogfight. I immeditly recingnized it. we watched until the fight was over. many of the lines were very similer. the shots were composed identicly. I never found out what it was called. but it is out there and it is real. lucas did base much of the actula dogfighting from real war footage and real radio transmissions from the pilots.

12. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    I might write a Star Wars story and base a part of the plot loosly on "Where Eagles Dare". :)

13. skyy38

skyy38 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    I'm betting that George Lucas had a good look at "Tora,Tora,Tora" as well-there is one scene in particular where the Zeros are coming down in formation swoop that is strongly echoed in E4's dogfight,by the X-Wings....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.