main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ANH Nagging Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by JBRO_13, Jun 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBRO_13

JBRO_13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    -Why in the NAME OF ALL THAT'S HOLY does Uncle Owen not recognize C-3PO? Sure, I mean a lot of protocol droids may have crossed his path before, but, surely you would have SOME inkling.

-Why, when escaping the Star Destroyers near Tatooine, does Han say "I know a few manuevers", and continues to "manuever" in a straight line? SOME moves you got there.

-Why does Leia yell "they're coming through!" when she and Luke are on the edge of that bridge, but, moments later we see the door open up for the first time. How are they "coming through" if the door's not open and all they have is blasters?

-Why does Han dictate everything he's doing to Chewie when they're escaping Tatooine? Surely, by this point, Chewie is aware of what Han is doing when they're trying to make "the jump"? Why does Han feel the need to say "to lightspeed" after every uttering of "the jump"? Doesn't everyone just assume?

-When the Death Star starts to pull the Falcon in with the tractor beam and Han tells Chewie "lock in the auxiliary power"...why does Chewie wait until the second time Han yells it to actually DO IT? (You can see him pulling a lever after the second order) Could this have saved them?

-Why, while in hyperspace, does Han say "we'll be at Alderran about 0200 hours" and they arrive about 4 minutes later? That's like telling someone "yeah, we'll be home at about 5" at 4:55...oh well.

-Wouldn't the logical thing while making the trench run would have been to have, at the first appearance of Vader and his wingmen, a second team follow the Y-Wings down the trench? And why, when Luke offers to cover Red Leader, even though he admits he's going to crash anyway, wouldn't it have been wise to blow the TIEs up just to end all possibility of getting chased?

-Does anybody else realize how many times Chewie gets the hose in these films? He gets no hugs/high-fives from Luke, Han or Chewie after they get back to Yavin, he doesn't get a medal, he isn't referred to when Luke (in ESB) yells "AND SACRIFICE HAN AND LEIA?!", he is totally ignored when Han is like "it was gonna be rough pal, I didn't want to speak for you"...why WOULDN'T Chewie want be involved in this "rough" mission? If he hauled his ass to Hoth, why wouldn't he want to land on a forest planet and blow some stuff up, as opposed to hanging out in a cruiser and getting blown up? And even moreso, if he owes Han a life debt for saving him however many years before, wouldn't it be assumed that he would go to protect Han on Endor?

AHHHHH, I just blew my own mind.

2. DARTH_CONFEDERATE

DARTH_CONFEDERATE Jedi Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Why didn't he get a medal. I've always wondered that.

3. -Ace-

-Ace- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    -Why in the NAME OF ALL THAT'S HOLY does Uncle Owen not recognize C-3PO? Sure, I mean a lot of protocol droids may have crossed his path before, but, surely you would have SOME inkling.

Well it has been a long time and 3PO didn't recognize him. So he might of had an inkling but didn't express it, or maybe that's why he wanted their memories wiped.

-Why, when escaping the Star Destroyers near Tatooine, does Han say "I know a few manuevers", and continues to "manuever" in a straight line? SOME moves you got there.

Probably just the technology in '77. Also ANH was continuely behind schedule and they probably didn't think it worth putting to much time into.

-Why does Leia yell "they're coming through!" when she and Luke are on the edge of that bridge, but, moments later we see the door open up for the first time. How are they "coming through" if the door's not open and all they have is blasters?

I haven't watched it in awhile so I'm not sure why.

-Why does Han dictate everything he's doing to Chewie when they're escaping Tatooine? Surely, by this point, Chewie is aware of what Han is doing when they're trying to make "the jump"? Why does Han feel the need to say "to lightspeed" after every uttering of "the jump"? Doesn't everyone just assume?

It was necessary for Han to explain to the audience what was going on.

-When the Death Star starts to pull the Falcon in with the tractor beam and Han tells Chewie "lock in the auxiliary power"...why does Chewie wait until the second time Han yells it to actually DO IT? (You can see him pulling a lever after the second order) Could this have saved them?

Han probably told him twice cause he didn't do it the first time. Maybe Chewie wasn't paying attention. However, I doubt it would have made a difference on such a powerful battle station as the Death Star.

-Why, while in hyperspace, does Han say "we'll be at Alderran about 0200 hours" and they arrive about 4 minutes later? That's like telling someone "yeah, we'll be home at about 5" at 4:55...oh well.

Maybe more time ellapses while they're in there than in shown. Such as the dejarik game Chewie and R2 are playing.

-Wouldn't the logical thing while making the trench run would have been to have, at the first appearance of Vader and his wingmen, a second team follow the Y-Wings down the trench? And why, when Luke offers to cover Red Leader, even though he admits he's going to crash anyway, wouldn't it have been wise to blow the TIEs up just to end all possibility of getting chased?

First off, there might not have been anyone close enough to make a run with the first guys. And secondly, Luke was on a time schedule, at any moment the Death Star would be in range of Yavin 4 and blow it up, so Luke had to act quickly. This is also why he went in full throttle.

-Does anybody else realize how many times Chewie gets the hose in these films? He gets no hugs/high-fives from Luke, Han or Chewie after they get back to Yavin, he doesn't get a medal, he isn't referred to when Luke (in ESB) yells "AND SACRIFICE HAN AND LEIA?!", he is totally ignored when Han is like "it was gonna be rough pal, I didn't want to speak for you"...why WOULDN'T Chewie want be involved in this "rough" mission? If he hauled his ass to Hoth, why wouldn't he want to land on a forest planet and blow some stuff up, as opposed to hanging out in a cruiser and getting blown up? And even moreso, if he owes Han a life debt for saving him however many years before, wouldn't it be assumed that he would go to protect Han on Endor?

Chewies like Rodney Dangerfield, he ain't gettin no respect.

AHHHHH, I just blew my own mind.

Suicide is never the answer.

4. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    " -Does anybody else realize how many times Chewie gets the hose in these films? He gets no hugs/high-fives from Luke, Han or Chewie after they get back to Yavin, he doesn't get a medal"

Not to mention the fact that this happens ever single time I watch ANH. At this point, that wookie should be ready to rip someone's arms out of their sockets. ;)

Come to think of it, all of these things continue to happen everytime I watch the films. Curious, no? ?[face_plain]

"It was necessary for Han to explain to the audience what was going on."

Don't you mean "to Luke and Ben"? :D

"Why didn't he get a medal. I've always wondered that."

Luke - "Here. Let me put these on you..." ;)

5. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003

Well, she probably knew they would be coming through soon enough.

6. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Leia was still trippin' after the injection from the interrogation droid. :D

7. JediNdaCity

JediNdaCity Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    Didn't you know? Chewie's the unofficial black guy in the triloy. :)

8. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    Han had to say all those discriptive lines becos in ANH, ppl dun know anything about THE STAR WARS GALAXY. So it is in the movie's interest to do so.

9. Aiki-Jedimaster

Aiki-Jedimaster Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2003
    If I remember correctly, chewie did get his medal given to him by carrie fisher on an MTV movie award show, maybe 97,98,or 99. I can't remember exactly. any help?

10. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Wouldn't the MTV Movie Awards be considered EU at best?

More imponderables:

-Why does Luke say, "I guess you're too small to run away" when removing R2's restraining bolt? He sure looked plenty capable of running away to me!

-Why does Leia go in and out of a pseudo-British accent throughout most of the movie?

-How exactly is Leia pronounced? Some folks in the movie pronounce it "Lee-uh" and others "Lay-uh".

-Why does Biggs tell the doomed Rebel pilot to eject? Were his chances of survival in the dead of space without a pressurized space suit all that better than going down in a flaming space ship?

And a bonus one from Return Of The Jedi:

-What would Luke have done if Jabba the Hutt had simply shot him on the spot? Did he have a plan B if Jabba decided to not try and toss him into the sarlacc pit?

11. Kambei

Kambei Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2003
    Here are my own opinions on two of these issues:

"Why in the NAME OF ALL THAT'S HOLY does Uncle Owen not recognize C-3PO?"

I think that the number of protocol droids is one reason. Also, the reason he didn't make a connection was because C-3PO was a different colour and the droid did not recognise him because of his memory wipe. Owen would just believe it to be another protocol droid with these points in mind.

"Why, when escaping the Star Destroyers near Tatooine, does Han say "I know a few manuevers", and continues to "manuever" in a straight line? SOME moves you got there."

I see what you mean. It could just mean "maneuvers" as in 'tricks' perhaps meaning a change of speed or a well timed jump to hyperspace.

12. JBRO_13

Jun 1, 2002
    Yeah, what if Jabba had R2 disintegrated, with Luke's lightsaber inside? That would've been some panic when Luke is looking for R2 to give him the "signal"...

"****! Where the hell is HE?!"

Then he dies.

Seriously, that was some epic foresight by Luke. He KNEW Jabba wouldn't bargain, he KNEW he would be thrown to the Rancor (and I guess KNEW somehow there would be a way to kill it without any weapons), he KNEW they all would be sentenced to death at the Pit of Carkoon, and told R2 to wait on the deck....ATTA BOY.

Also, when Luke's hand gets blasted on the Sail Barge, if you watch, for some reason he is holding his hand straight up in the air...what the hell's going on there?

And wouldn't more people have been cut in half when Luke starts taking baseball swings with his lightsaber? He seems to hit just their weapons or something and then they fall off or run away.

AND ANOTHER THING, isn't it great to see that one small Skiff or whatever with all Jabba's guards just cruising around while Luke and them await death? Who wouldn't have wanted to be on that thing?

And when Boba Fett gets knocked by Han and he cruises towards the Barge, when he flies behind Luke, it's maybe the most revolutionary unintentional comedy moment ever. A perfect 10. It's like Steven Seagal running. You can't beat it.

In Empire, why does Luke need to go check out a meteor hitting snow? What's he expecting to find?

"Ah! It was a rock! And it made a hole! ....hmmm....all right, back to base"

I mean I know they had to write the Wampa scene in, but couldn't they have had Luke see something that WASN'T a flaming rock and go after THAT?

13. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    In Empire, why does Luke need to go check out a meteor hitting snow? What's he expecting to find?

I dunno. An imperial probe droid maybe?

14. Vader322

Vader322 Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2003
    JBRO did you forget Luke was a Jedi? and can see into the future?

Also the reason Chewie doesn't get a medal is b/c wookies don't accept medals and other rewards, they have to much pride(or something like that).

The reason ppl didn't get cut in half by Luke was b/c it was '83 and they couldn't do it, or he just sliced them not going from the side.

I always laugh when he gets shot b/c he has his hand in the air for no reason LOL (dumbness runs in the family)

i know this is really off but did you ever notice in AOTC when Obi-wan discovers that Zam was shot with a toxic dart, Anakin checks if she's alive. After she was lying dead on the floor for like 5 secs. Hes stupid just like his son LOL. Also in the droid factory he goes to save Padme but jumps on to a diff assembly line. what good was that gonna do? i think he just got carried (sp?) away with the breaking machines thing, b/c he kept breaking the working arms instead of saving Padme and she would of died if R2 didn't "all of a sudden" leard how to fly.
    whew that was a long post.

15. JBRO_13

Jun 1, 2002
    I know Luke can see into the future, but, still, he saw like 2 days ahead of schedule. THIS KID'S GOOD.

16. ratmankey

ratmankey Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    First off, on Chewie not getting a medal, the following is from Bantha Tracks #2:

Q: At the end of Star Wars, Luke Skywalker and Han Solo each receive a medal from Princess Leia. Why didn't Chewbacca receive one?

A: The Rebel forces wanted to give Chewbacca a medal for his part in saving Princess Leia and in the destruction of the Death Star, but Wookiees don't approve of medals. So, respecting Chewbacca's wishes, they didn't give him one.

They didn't want Chewie to go totally unrewarded, however. So, after the ceremony at the Rebel base, they flew to the Wookiee planet for a celebration.

As Bantha Tracks proudly stated, "The information provided in this column is not based on rumors or presumptions, but is garnered from the people actually involved in the making of Star Wars." So I think this is as close to a "canon" (read: non-EU) answer as we're going to get.

As for some other questions...

-Why does Leia go in and out of a pseudo-British accent throughout most of the movie?

Because Carrie Fisher had just arrived from boarding school in England, and was still adjusting.

-How exactly is Leia pronounced? Some folks in the movie pronounce it "Lee-uh" and others "Lay-uh".

I'm pretty sure the official pronunciation is "Lay-uh", but this has always bugged me...mainly because Lucas himself doesn't seem to know how to pronounce his characters' names. Let's have a quick rundown...

Leia - he pronounces it "Lee-uh" (as do some people in the movies)

Han - he pronounces it Han (like "hand", minus the D), as do Lando and Threepio when Chewie chokes Lando.

Naboo - he pronounces it "Nay-boo". Nobody else does this.

Gungan - he pronounces it "Goongan". I'm pretty sure nobody in the movies does this either.

Dooku - He pronounces it "Duh-KOO", which really bugs me for some reason. I think Yoda pronounces it this way once in AOTC.

Yeah...I'm annoyed easily, aren't I?

17. JBRO_13

Jun 1, 2002
    I noticed once that, I think it was GL, or McCallum, pronounced Hoth "hoathe". I was set aback. I joked a kid in like 3rd grade for saying that, and yet, the guys behind it did too.

18. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    And then there's 'Gee-oh-NOSS-ee-ans' instead of 'Gee-a-nose-ee-ans.' Lucas bums me out with his horrid pronounciations.

?Eaglet

19. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    About Chewie,he does get his props for saving everyone but not in the Battle of Yavin,he gets a hug from Leia after he saves everyone from the Tie Fighters with his piloting.

And why doesnt Luke use the Force to Choke Jabba,and force him to cooperate with him?he used it on the Pig Guards and they treated him with respect.

20. RRS-1980

RRS-1980 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2003
    And why doesnt Luke use the Force to Choke Jabba,and force him to cooperate with him?he used it on the Pig Guards and they treated him with respect.

I guess Luke was going Light - Dark - Light Side of the Force like a broken neon lamp... also when he fought with his Dad...

If you want to see a video clip from the MTV Movie Awards where Chewie gets a Calidor Crescent from Carrie Fisher's hands, go to this website. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.