main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga ANH or TFA

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ThisHurricane, Apr 4, 2016.

?

Better opening movie

1. ANH

59 vote(s)
    86.8%
  2. TFA

9 vote(s)
    13.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    ANH. As much as I love TFA, ANH started it all, and made me the movie nut I am now.

2. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Quoted because I would have just said the exact same thing.

MOC Yak Face and DarthCricketer like this.
  3. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    ANH by far IMO.

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  4. Bee Bee

Bee Bee Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2015
    I would go with ANH. While it would take too long to list out all the reasons, one core reason it shines over TFA for me is the main protagonist. While I found Rey to be likable enough, Luke is just a much more compelling hero in my eyes.

It felt like Luke had to really earn his way as the hero of the movie, whereas everything and everybody seemed to center around Rey. This can be seen in the character interactions throughout the films. Luke isn't the center of the galaxy in A New Hope. Han doesn't respect him or even seem to like him all that much until near the end of the movie, Leia is at first unimpressed by him, and Obi-Wan has to take him under his wing and keep him out of trouble. Luke was just a young, whiny, naive farmboy from a backwater planet. This makes his growth into a hero of the rebellion much more compelling as we see him save the day, gaining new friendships and the respect of others along the way while he grows as a character.

With Rey we have a character that's already very competent. She has prodigious flying skills, is a mechanical genius, and can call on the force with no formal training whatsoever. Other characters seem to further put her on a pedestal. BB-8 immediately bonds with her, she and Finn form a strong friendship within hours, Han wants her as part of his crew, Kylo wants to train her, Snoke wants her, Leia hugs her rather than Chewie though I'm assuming they've never met before. She's even the one tasked with going to meet Luke at the end of the movie.

While Luke had to earn his place in the galaxy, it feels like everything is just handed to Rey. Everyone treats her like she's the main protagonist and at times it can feel a bit distracting. Ultimately it makes her feel too forced as a character. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed TFA as a movie, but it lacked the same heart and soul that the original had.

Ezon Pin and Sarge like this.
  5. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    TFA doesn't have a hopeful ending?

To me, it is that ending that comes close to redeeming the whole film, carrying the mythic charge of seven movies and three generations, and promising the world.

No movie can quite live up to the open-ended, anguished, and wonderfully hopeful quality of that end. But that doesn't mean a whole string of 'em can't try. ;)

As for the main question:

Well, let me think about it.

TFA has a lot more thematic depth than ANH, but ANH has a stunning surface.

Sort of a tie, but for originality, and for birthing TFA, it has to be ANH/SW, and there can never be any substitute for its peculiar brand of screen magic.

6. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Love TFA but can't possibly go past ANH.

7. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I give ANH credit for originality, but that just barely gives it the edge.

8. TheSlave1

TheSlave1 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 4, 2015
    I love them all, but I actually have to go with TFA. There's just something about it I like more than ANH.

9. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I like TFA but ANH gets the vote in a heartbeat. It has all the icon star wars moments but more importantly it's just a plain good movie.

10. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    Love them both but ANH is a classic and considered one of top 20 films of all-time. It was #12 on AFI top 100 movies of all-time in 2007.

I still think ANH works best watching as a standalone movie where nobody is related. The sequels and prequels have sort of dilluded the 1977 film with contradictions and its best to watch it in its original context.

For the record, I've probably seen the Original SW a 1,000 times!

11. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    A New Hope is a timeless classic that, like Casablanca, The Wizard of Oz, and The Godfather, will endure so long as human beings watch movies. It's an exceptional piece of filmmaking on its own.

I also agree it's best viewed that way. It's a huge part of the reason I advocate watching the films in release order over episodic order, as it's not an installment in a Saga more so than a Saga was later built around it.

12. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    ANH > TFA

That being said I feel like Rey climbing the stairs to meet Luke is probably the second best scene in the saga just behind Vader revealing to Luke he is his father.

13. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    A New Hope.

14. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    I agree as its in my top 5 moments too. The ironic thing is when I read that spoiler of Luke only being in the movie for the 30 seconds, my emotions ranged from furious to disbelief at JJ. I'm up to 7 viewings now for TFA, and its pure genius.

15. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    ANH is what made me a Star Wars Sweaty to begin with. So my vote definitely goes to ANH.

16. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Please... please don't. We don't need that to be our version Trekkie. Please. Please no.

17. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I like it. Continue to use it I shall.

18. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    It's powerful and makes waiting for episode 8 excruciating.

19. Lazy_Ewok

Lazy_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2016
    A New Hope, no doubt about that.

20. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Which film is more effective as an opening is hard to say, I think. As others have described, ANH is the introduction to SW. On the other hand, there are people who became fans because of TFA.

That said, I prefer TFA overall. I think it's more engaging -- e.g. with the camerawork, Rey's journey and relatability -- and has a far stronger ending.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  21. Conkhead_12

Conkhead_12 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 28, 2016
    ANH. TFA is a near exact copy of ANH.

22. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    ANH FO LIFE!

23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Great analysis as usual Cryo :)

24. Rock-N-Roll Jedi

Rock-N-Roll Jedi Jedi Knight

Feb 29, 2016
    Of course it's A New Hope. It's a classic movie and it started the whole thing.

The Force Awakens is still a great movie, however, and for me only bested by Empire and ANH in that order.

25. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

Do you really want an answer? Just wondering if this was real... [​IMG]

ANH

While... I would admit that in some ways TFA opening is more modern and seem better made by today's standards, than ANH opening. But I would always be amazed by ANH opening than the one from TFA, since I've always wondered how they could have accomplished that in the late 1970's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.