main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ANH questions

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Lord_Fett, Jan 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Fett

Lord_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    I just saw ANH(again),and I got some important questions:

1-what's that noise that Obi-Wan does to scare the Sand People away?It looks like a bull.

2-Why the hell Chewie didn´t get the medal at the end of ANH?Racism?

3-After Leia,Han and Luke get out of the garbage compactor,Han shoots something that had scared Chewbacca and then says "Chewie come here".What was that?

4-Why does Han looses time fighting the Imperial fighters(after escaping the DS)and doesn't jump into hyperspace?

5-If Leia was so sure that they were tracking the Falcon it was pretty dumb going directly into Yavin.Why didn't they seach the ship looking for the tracking device?

Tomorrow I will see ESB and probably do another thread like this one.And after that is ROTJ time and another thread! :)

2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Some of these answers are going to be by the EU.

what's that noise that Obi-Wan does to scare the Sand People away?It looks like a bull.

The sound that Ben created was the sound of the Krayt Dragon. It is one of the most ferocious beats on all of Tatooine, heck it is famous throughout the galaxy for its ferociousness.

Why the hell Chewie didn´t get the medal at the end of ANH?Racism?

To be honost I'm not sure why he did not get a medal in ANH. Some say it was because Chewie was too big for Leia to give it to, yet he could've have bowed quite easily to recieve it. Some say he got it after the ceremony, but the one I personally believe is that Chewie refused a medal. Wookies have a high sense of honor and I don't think Chewie felt that having the medal was necessary, it was irrelevant to him.

After Leia,Han and Luke get out of the garbage compactor,Han shoots something that had scared Chewbacca and then says "Chewie come here".What was that?

I believe you're refering to the instance inside the actual compacter. It was probably the dianoga or the blasterfire that Han let loose inside the compartment.

Why does Han looses time fighting the Imperial fighters(after escaping the DS)and doesn't jump into hyperspace

Two reasons that I can think of. The first is that the Death Star is so huge it is creating a gravity well that prevents ships from entering and exiting hyperspace. The Imperials have the technology to create artificial ones and deployed those devices on Interdictors. However, the DS was not equipped with one, perhaps because it was so huge it created one naturally?

The second reason could be that he had to build up enough speed to make it to hyperspace. One just can't jump to lightspeed, they have to have a minimum speed built up before jumping. He also needs to make sure that he gets some proper coordinates in place, otherwise they could jump into something nasty and never know it.

If Leia was so sure that they were tracking the Falcon it was pretty dumb going directly into Yavin.Why didn't they seach the ship looking for the tracking device?

My guess is that the plans were too vital to waste anytime so they went straight to Yavin IV. Perhaps Leia also wanted to lead the Death Star to Yavin IV once the Rebels had the plans, this way they could fight it on their terms and not the Empire's terms.

3. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    1-what's that noise that Obi-Wan does to scare the Sand People away?It looks like a bull.

Kryat Dragon

The above poster's answer makes sense

3-After Leia,Han and Luke get out of the garbage compactor,Han shoots something that had scared Chewbacca and then says "Chewie come here".What was that?

The dianoga (trash compactor monster)

4-Why does Han looses time fighting the Imperial fighters(after escaping the DS)and doesn't jump into hyperspace?

It takes time to calculate the jump to hyperspace. Also, better to shoot at ships shooting at you.

5-If Leia was so sure that they were tracking the Falcon it was pretty dumb going directly into Yavin.Why didn't they seach the ship looking for the tracking device?

Well, no time? It was on the outside of the ship? It helped anyway becuase it lured the DS to Yavin IV giving the rebels the perfect opportunity to attack.

4. Lord_Fett

Feb 14, 2002
    Thanks by the replies,but how did Kenobi do the Krayt Dragon sound?With the Force?With his mouth?

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    With the Force.

6. Lord_Fett

Feb 14, 2002
    With the Force.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I hope there´s another explanation because that's just ridiculous.

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Why is that ridiculous? It's the correct answer.

8. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    i didnt look at anybodys answers cause i wanted to test my knowledge

This was a krayt dragon. in the SE's you can see the skeleton of one when C-3PO is calling for the Sandcrawler

In the book, Chewie did get a medal. But, Chewie owed a life debt to Han, and the knowledge than Han was safe is reward enough for Chewie. thats what i think

Han shot his blaster at that thing (i dont know what its called) that took Luke down under the garbarge. Chewie didn't like this worm thing

The TIE's move quickly and they could easily fly into, or blast his flight pattern. plus, the vector they were fighting in was the one they were planning on jumping into, i believe.

it was probably on the outside of the ship, in a rather inconspicous spot. or, by the time leia revealed it, they had already made their jump and the imperials could trace the vector. or, han was sure they weren't tracking him. That silly laser brain

9. Lord_Fett

Feb 14, 2002
    I bet that the Jedi also use the Force to do the lightsaber sound.We all say "hhhhuuuummmm.." but they use the Force.

The correct answer IS stupid IMHO.

10. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I bet that the Jedi also use the Force to do the lightsaber sound.We all say "hhhhuuuummmm.." but they use the Force.

Um, no. The lightsaber itself makes the humming sound.

11. Lord_Fett

Feb 14, 2002
    The lightsaber has a blade of pure energy.It shouldn't make ANY sound.

EDIT:in the SE's you can see the skeleton of one when C-3PO is calling for the Sandcrawler

That's also in the original version(that I still have).

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Well, it does. And we all have to accept that it does.

13. Jedi_Knight_Jonas

Jedi_Knight_Jonas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2003
    The Kyrant dragon sound was like the Jedi mind trick, he just broadcat it 2 all the sand people, much like he did on the DS with the noise that distracted the Stormtroopers

14. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    "It shouldn't make ANY sound."

In Star Wars lots of things make sounds, when they shouldn't, earthly-scientifically.

15. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Lord Fett
    It was a trick Obi Wan did using the Force to augment his natural voice. What's so hard to believe about that? This is a galaxy where a little green guy can levitate a star fighter with the Force.

"This was a krayt dragon. in the SE's you can see the skeleton of one when C-3PO is calling for the Sandcrawler "

Psst, actually the skeleton was in the movie all the way back in 1977 too.

16. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    yeah, well, i havent watched the O-OT since before the SE's came out, because i recognized the SE's as the OT now

17. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    How did Kenobi make the Krayt dragon's call?

I know some will say this is EU and doesn't count but... from the ANH Novelization by George Lucas:

Placing both hands over his mouth in a peculiar fashion, Kenobi inhaled deeply and let out an unearthly howl that made Luke jump. "That ought to keep any laggards running for a while yet," the old man concluded with satisfaction.

"That's a Krayt Dragon call!" Luke gasped in astonishment. "How did you do that?"

"I'll show you sometime son. It's not too hard. Just takes the right attitude, a set of well-used vocal cords, and a lot of wind. Now, if you were an imperial bureaucrat, I could teach you right off, but you're not."

*snicker* I kinda wish that bit had ended up in the movie. :D

sg

18. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    the old man concluded with satisfaction.

something funny I just realized. GL is now about the same age as Obi-Wan was in ANH. Wonder if he feels like an "old man" now. ;)

sg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.