main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT ANH releases after 2020 (no OOT discussion)

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by darklordoftech, Jan 12, 2016.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    In 2020, Fox looses the rights to ESB, ROTJ, and the PT. Disney will inevitably seek to release these films themselves. However, Fox has eternal rights to ANH. How will ANH be released after 2020? Will it forever be out of print? Will Fox and Disney work something out? Will Disney say "You can't release it without our permission, so you might as well sell the rights to us?" Will Disney let Fox keep the rights to all 6 films in order to preserve the Fox logo?

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Just like it is now.

No. The digital releases (exclusive to Disney, except ANH) already don't have the Fox intro.

3. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    That's inconclusive. SW film expert Michael Kaminski had a very convincing theory, IMHO: Why didn't Lucas give the distribution rights for the prequels to Warner, Universal or Paramount, especially considering how much he loathed 20th Century Fox?

20th Century Fox had something he wanted, the aforementioned "eternal rights to ANH". While this has never been disclosed, I wouldn't be surprised if in return for the PT distribution 20th Century Fox had to transfer the rights to ANH to Lucasfilm.

I'd also find it hard to believe if Disney really paid more than 4 billion $ to Lucasfilm to acquire the rights for Star Wars but without "Star Wars".

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    When did he express any loath towards Fox?

Where does that even come from?

Disney owns Star Wars, not Fox. They just have to deal with Fox whenever they want to re-release it. Same thing with the other five movies as far as theatrical or home video releases go. At least until 2020.

5. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    According to the biographies I read George Lucas never forgets and isn't necessarily declined to forgive. When he could no longer afford production of ESB he went to Fox to provide additional funding and hated it.

The theory originates with Michael Kaminski. Don't have the link but it sounds rather possible and likely.

If you have information that establishes beyond doubt that Fox has the distribution rights for ANH until 2020 please feel free to share them.

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Speculation then. And hated what? Fox, or the necessity to ask for money?

It's still baseless.

Who's even arguing that? Fox has the distribution rights for ANH forever. It has the theatrical and home video distribution rights for the remaining five movies until 2020.

7. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I'm sure the lawyers and executives of both companies will work out a deal, since it's in their own best interests to do so. It's not like Susan Hart is involved in this.

8. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I heard it was more voluntary that Lucas financed Empire himself, as he wanted to retain creative control. Fox did him many favors during the production of Star Wars, so I can't imagine there was that much of a falling out.

9. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    If they could work out the Batman 66 TV series mess, they can sort this out.

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yeah, I don't think Lucas has ever had anger towards Fox as he did towards Warner Brothers and Universal. He only hated that he had to go to Fox for more money since so much was spent carelessly during the filming of TESB. He stayed because he wasn't angry, for uniformity with the intro and he didn't have to go through Dreamworks which was still a new studio.